in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,470 books
 New: 229 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Mundo Futuro 001

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Mundo Futuro 001  (Read 1070 times)

Peter_Hypnos

message icon
« on: July 20, 2015, 10:30:01 PM »

"Mundo Futuro" is indeed a good comic. And Boixcar a good artist, no doubt about it. But the equal of Foster, Caniff or Raymond? No and one thousand times no. My friend Petrus, Boixcar is a realistic artist, and as realism goes, there are many better artists. Blasco from Spain, Lopez Salinas from Argentina, Raymond Poivet from France or Frank Godwin from the States, for instance. These gentlemen can hold the comparison with the big three but Boixcar definitely not, in terms of technique. I like Boixcar though, his characters are a little bit stiff and alike, but it has a dignified style that match perfectly the gentle kindness and humanity of the plots in "mundo futuro" as well as in "hazañas bélicas".

Link to the book: Mundo Futuro 001
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 01:24:40 PM »

Well, actually, only my somewhat uninformed opinion, but the work on this and other Boixcar issues is rather nice and while it might not be up to the the standard of Raymond, who, again imo, surpasses the overrated Caniff and Foster, the latter not delivering true comics but a form of text strip, is of a very appealing style. I know a lot of this comes down to personal taste and I admit to not particularly enjoying the work of some of the S. American artists, so opinions will always differ, fortunately.  Just thought I'd set the cat among the pigeons;)
Just to add a little mustard to my response, Poivet is a highly respected artist but, like Foster, often delivers a form of text strip - closer to comics than a true text strip but, nevertheless not a complete comic strip. And I prefer the work of Emilio Freixas to that of Poivet or Caniff.  Not that Caniff isn't superb at times but the stories always seem a bit stupid and I can't get my head around some of the characters in Terry and the Pirates. I await the derision that is sure to follow ;D
ip icon Logged

Peter_Hypnos

message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 03:55:11 PM »

I agree with you on the fact that Freixas is a master draftsman; he is too better than Boixcar.  ;D

Boixcar lacks suppleness when he faces the human body and face; for me the mark of the excellent artist(not just the accomplished) is how their characters move and breath and emote with ease: Lou Fine, Leonard Starr, Stan Drake and the like.

Boixcar is very important in the history of Spanish comics and he managed to make comics that actually were worth the pesetas people spent in them, within the dismal landscape of fifties Spanish comics where the substandard was the rule. His treatment of war machines is second to none, he took great pains to portray tanks, aircraft in his war stories with accuracy. Textures are one of his strong points, these planets in Mundo Futuro are made of real rock.

I was reacting to an statement by Petrus than I think can only be understood in terms of patriotic blindness (I take Petrus for a fellow countryman from Spain, if he is not so I apologize to him).

Mr Broon  8) Prince Valiant is not of my liking either. I haven't read "Les Pionniers de l'Esperance" but if it has the same approach than Foster work it will be less appealing for me.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.