in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,819 books
 New: 188 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 91 - Spaceman #5

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 91 - Spaceman #5  (Read 3680 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 91 - Spaceman #5
« on: October 07, 2015, 02:02:41 PM »

Wow last week's Negro Romance has really sparked off a few conversations, and the posts are still coming in! If you haven't read the book or seen the thread, check it out!

This week it's a real change and something from "the list". This is something suggested by a member a few months ago. Ah .. before I continue if you have ANY suggestions of books for us to look at PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE contact me either by PM or email.

Right, it is a UK comic. Spaceman #5 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=27508. The story we are concetrating on is the first one "The Buccaneers Of Space". But. as there are only 24 pages hopefully most people will read it all (if it is any good that is!).

ip icon Logged

betaraybdw

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: betaraybdw
message icon
Re: Week 91 - Spaceman #5
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 04:33:39 PM »

Ok. WOW!  9 stars

I was so taken in by the art and the world that Norman Light created in this book, that I stopped reading the words. His work is IMMERSIVE! The space scenes, set layouts and city/land-scapes are all superlative.

I really, really wish this was in color. It would be glorious. It would be ideal to publish these stories not only in color, but in one of those ginormous Treasury Edition magazine books Marvel used to publish in the 70's. http://www.comicvine.com/marvel-treasury-edition/4050-2694/

Thanks to jimpy / josemas / paw broon for getting this to the site.

Speaking Of old UK Sci-fi comics, anyone read THE TRIGAN EMPIRE ? http://www.comicvine.com/trigan-empire/4050-41096/

My mom got me a hardcover reprint of it for Christmas in '78 and I read that thing over and over.
http://www.comicvine.com/trigan-empire-1/4000-321770/

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 05:49:02 PM »

I've only read the first story and I'm saving the rest for later. 
Just as well the art takes over as the science is awful. Fortunately I find it laughably awful. Astrologists seem to work at the observatory; the Earth is a binary twin sun of Sol.
Astrologers aren't scientists and what about accretion discs?
Doesn't change the fact that this is a tasty wee comic - and printed in Ormskirk, Is that their main claim to fame?
Adam Strange indeed.
Looking forward to the rest of the comic.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 11:35:52 PM »

This was a fun read. Pseudoscientific  gobbledygook flies fast and furious. "Fast and furious" also describes the pace of the stories. It was refreshing that the first story pits the heroes against the forces of nature rather than bad guys. Norman Light's choice of words is odd sometimes. He misuses "astrologer" for "astronomer" and calls the Star Rovers "Buccaneers of Space" though they're not pirates.

Light's art is clunky in spots but overall it has a lot of verve and boasts interesting machinery and architecture. The art's main problem is that the men all look alike so it's hard to tell Captain F from his sidekick. The Rovers' uniforms have no line around the neck, making it appear they're running about space bare-chested.

"Rain of Death" is a so-so story. Young Ron Embleton's art needs plenty of work yet you can see hints of future greatness. He's already showing signs of his knack for futuristic machinery. Strange that the story is about a Martian plot but in eight pages we see only one Martian.

"Zar, the Trouble Maker" is another fast-moving romp with plenty of nuts and bolts (and stars around the hero's head). I don't understand Zar's wanting to destroy the earth. It seems he'd gain a lot more by conquering the planet and confiscating all its cool spaceships. I'm also puzzled by Zar's line on page 19, "We have no say in its [the Rovers'] operation." Is he arguing that he's not bound to follow United Planets laws because there are no Mirzans among the Star Rovers? Why should he bother to justify himself anyway when after he blows up earth no one will be around to care?

All the quibbles are minor. For an unabashed (and completely science-free) space opera this fills the bill.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 05:01:09 PM »

What a good pulpy space opera this is.  Both Captain Future stories are well done and very well illustrated but I also enjoyed the Bill Merrill tale, despite some clunky page layouts which on a couple of occasions made me go back and check which panel was next.
The great thing about these stories to me is that there is no faffing about, it's like a good, fast rock tune - 1,2,3, everybody in.  So we get action, a bit of suspense, pretty good art and some decent heroes. And in Zar, a nasty piece of work who gets his comeuppance.
As has been said, the science and astronomy is nonsense but it's a good laugh.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 11:48:16 PM »

The Buccaneers of Space - Oh, the bad science, ouch! Otherwise, it's an okay sci-fi romp.

The Rain of Death - More bad science, not as much rompiness as the first story.

Zar - The Trouble Maker - Tries to be exciting, but I didn't think it succeeded.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 11:57:23 PM »

Speaking Of old UK Sci-fi comics, anyone read THE TRIGAN EMPIRE ?

Yep! Although I believe it was European, only the artist was from the UK. Years I heard they were putting out a complete reprinting of the original series. Not sure if they completed it or if it's still available.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 09:02:31 AM »

I meant to write something on Trigan Empire, but forgot. The strip was indeed British, being by Don Lawrence and appearing in the British title, Ranger and subsequently in Look and Learn.  Perhaps you are confusing Lawrence's other famous work, Storm, which, apart from Lawrence, was European.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 12:44:59 AM »

Maybe, it's been years since I looked up info on Trigan Empire so I could have misremembered something I read.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 02:49:25 PM »

While I enjoyed the art on the first story I did not find the story at all interesting. I enjoyed the second story more than the first. They carried out their mission with precision and I found it more of a romp than the first.
I did not like the last story either. The Captain Future stories just don't work for me. Zar is going to destroy the earth but he will pay for detaining Cap F.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 03:19:30 PM by narfstar »
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 07:01:27 PM »

At first sight this book looks like a joke. I can imagine "Captain Future" and "Zar, The Trouble Maker" appearing in an old alternative British comedy sketch. But this is the real deal!

From the first to the last page the art is top rate and the stories (fast and furious), are not too far behind. But ehem, pardon me: "Tom Ellen a young and rising astrologer ... " I think they probably meant astronomer!

If anything is geared to get me to panic it is: "Attention! Do not panic. Everything is under control!"

Plus a couple of other great lines (there are plenty more)

"We've started an eruption"

"Pointing the patrol ship in the direction of Earth, Captain Future goes into super speed!"

Verdict: A MASSIVE HIT!!! Really great art and old school Brit Sci-fi. As a comment left by our Narfstar says: "This is about as good as it gets. MORE PLEASE!"
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 11:14:27 PM »

I really enjoyed this one- great retro art and a "damn the science- full speed ahead" style of writing. A wonderful romp back to the 50's.
Some really delicious spacecraft and modernistic buildings in the first tale, along with a pretty decent story.
The Rain of Death was a bit ordinary yet still fun.
In the last story is it just me or did Zar have a somewhat Oriental look? Perhaps a rehash of the "Yellow Menace" theme so popular in the comics and pulps of the Forties?
This was a definite hit for me! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 12:08:48 AM »

I do agree with Mark that there were some great line. I do love the fear struck in my heart by knowing the villain had earned the title THE TROUBLE MAKER.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 04:21:07 AM »

Very nice lead story...everyone dressed like Flash Gordon...streamlined space ships, lots of lines to indicate velocity...what more do you need??
Kept getting the feeling this one has been used in clip art a dozen times, but I can't tell you WHERE...
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.