in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Greetings from Washington State

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Greetings from Washington State  (Read 1581 times)

Old Ink

message icon
Greetings from Washington State
« on: March 06, 2016, 05:19:41 AM »

I've been reading comics here for some time and decided I ought to at least say hello and thanks and all that. First, a little bit about me. I'm 59 and trying to be retired. I used to be a musician and a painter but rarely do that anymore. I have a small genealogy business still and that's just enough for me. My love for comics goes back to my childhood. As a kid I was very good at finding pop bottles and cashing them in for comic money. It was Marvel comics that got me hooked. This was the early sixties and I enjoyed the slightly more sophisticated stuff they were doing then. I also began to appreciate the artists and their styles. Somewhere along the line those comics disappeared, I grew up, or older or something, but there came a time when I began replacing them. Actually, I got married, but my wife was a DC fan, so we built a collection together that was pretty large and made both of us happy. We learned to at least like the other's interests. Much later, we decided to sell everything off and financed our daughter's college education. That actually worked pretty good as she's got a great career now. Sometime back I began collecting scanned comics and it was great to be able to read the old favorites again. That lead to discovering golden age ones and my tastes have broadened so much because of that. This is what brought me here as I've been branching out and reading lesser known stuff. I really appreciate this site and decided to write this note to give a word of thanks. As an aside, I have some public domain stuff that I want to upload to fill in some holes I see here. I'm going to give that a shot and see if I can do it.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Greetings from Washington State
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 06:03:10 AM »

We must be twins. I just turned 59 last Sunday. Welcome aboard glad to have you enjoy the site. Very happy to have any holes filled too.
ip icon Logged

73042helloworld

message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 06:24:22 AM »

I'm in Yelm in Washington and I've been reading (or, at least, having my mother read them to me) comics since about 1946.  I was born in St. Louis and my family moved out here to stay in 1956.I brought only two comic book series with me. (Classics Illustrated and World's Finest Comics), but I continued collecting--my son collected mostly Marvel while I colllected DC, Fawcett and Quality and later Magazine enterprises.  I gave up after Marvel's SUPER WARS and DC,s CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS and ZERO HOUR reboots.  I still prefer the Golden Age material and Silver Age DC stories.  The group ha been a great help in getting me scanned Golden Age stuff.  I think you'll find a lot of the stuff you want too see here -- even series you may have never heard of.

PS  I'll be 74 in 2016 and still catching up on my Golden Age re-reading.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 05:38:19 PM »

That's a good story Old Ink.  Always nice to get a bit of background on other fans.
As I grew up a continent away, in Scotland, American comics were hard to find before distribution started in 1959/60 and being born in 1949, I grew up with British comics - hence the reason I can cope with 2 or 3 page episodes a week of a story and narfstar just can't ;)
You'll find a selection of the comics I knew as a wee lad in the UK comics section.
ip icon Logged

Old Ink

message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 03:56:03 PM »

I just did my first upload and hope I did it correctly. Should I mention it in the uploaded section, or is that only for ftp?
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 04:26:47 PM »

Yes indeed, please post a note of it in the uploaded section.  I've just approved it so it should appear soon.
Oh, and thank you.
ip icon Logged

Old Ink

message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 05:07:05 PM »

Wow that was quick! Okay I'll do some more.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.