in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 185 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Need Fawcett Special Edition 1 with Capt Marvel

Pages: 1 [2]

topic icon Author Topic: Need Fawcett Special Edition 1 with Capt Marvel  (Read 15719 times)

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: Need Fawcett Special Edition 1 with Capt Marvel
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2009, 07:09:08 AM »

Man that $50 for the Flashback index is really tick'n me off. I have half a mind to make an effort to dig up one, scan it, and email Light for permission to share it on GA-UK.

Didn't mean to get you angry, boox!  Honestly, I didn't even take note of the price he was asking because the info for the books was in the listing anyway.  Unfortunately, even on eBay, dealers enjoy over-pricing their items.  If you can get Mr Light's permission, I say go for it.

;D I'm alright bchat! I was just taken aback by the price. I realize that dealers have to make some money.

B. ;D
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2009, 07:12:04 AM »

One more aside  ;D

I remember writing Alan Light a long long long ago asking him if he had any Flashbacks for sale.

He wrote back that he did not have a complete set and only had a few stray issues. He couldn't believe that he never put aside a set for himself.

Okay, no more asides...for now!  ;)

B.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2009, 07:36:20 AM »

By all means Jim ramble we are all major fans here.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2009, 11:51:31 PM »

By all means Jim ramble we are all major fans here.

Okay, narf,
here's a link to some of my "ramblings" about my early days.
http://www.bpib.com/paris/October/Bud%26Futuropolis.html

Click the [Back] button for more about a fascinating week in Paris with Bud Plant, Sergio Toppi and Moebius...

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2009, 12:18:38 AM »

I had already read through your Paris post. I really hope to teach for the DOD in seven years after I retire in TN. If I get stationed in Germany Europe will be stomping grounds for up to three years. If I do not get Germany I may get the Phillipines or Okinawah and see Asia. And I can bank my retirement checks and use the money to see Europe after.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2009, 12:56:48 AM »

I had already read through your Paris post. I really hope to teach for the DOD in seven years after I retire in TN. If I get stationed in Germany Europe will be stomping grounds for up to three years. If I do not get Germany I may get the Phillipines or Okinawah and see Asia. And I can bank my retirement checks and use the money to see Europe after.

Best of luck with your retirement plans, narf. I only hope the economy recovers enough to allow us both to enjoy our dreams. I've never had a yen (ha ha) to see Asia, though Karen has traveled a lot in Japan, Shanghai and in Australia and New Zealand. I never traveled much until recently and right now I'm smitten with Europe. If things go well for us both, perhaps we'll meet up in Paris one day.

ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2009, 01:03:38 AM »

ps. That link was a rambling about Bud Plant and me back in the early 70s and only tangentially about Paris.

pps. Didn't Alan Light also publish some thick compilations called "Special Editions"? I recall one about Lou Fine's Black Condor and perhaps a Capt. Marvel one, too? Do those "Special Editions" and the topic of this thread have anything in common. (as you've undoubtedly noticed by now, early Fawcett's are NOT my strongest suit.)

ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2009, 02:02:29 AM »

Didn't Alan Light also publish some thick compilations called "Special Editions"? I recall one about Lou Fine's Black Condor and perhaps a Capt. Marvel one, too?

from my previous post in this thread:
the "Special Edition Series" comics ... the covers had "Whiz Comics", "The Ray and The Black Condor" and "Mac Raboy's Captain Marvel Jr".
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2009, 02:37:43 AM »

Didn't Alan Light also publish some thick compilations called "Special Editions"? I recall one about Lou Fine's Black Condor and perhaps a Capt. Marvel one, too?

from my previous post in this thread:
the "Special Edition Series" comics ... the covers had "Whiz Comics", "The Ray and The Black Condor" and "Mac Raboy's Captain Marvel Jr".

Got it, bchat,
Sorry I missed the detail. I remember the CMJ issue now. Had a LOT of Emil Gershwin mislabeled as Raboy, if I recall right. So, WAS the CM anything to do with the original Special Edition, or did it merely take the inspiration of its name from it?

ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

DOC

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2009, 10:45:37 PM »

Hi I'm DOC Boucher another big fan of Golden Age books. I recouped alot of my Dyna-Pub collection on eBay and have two of the Special Editions but have never seen the Captain Marvel Jr. one I didn't know it existed till talking to Andrew Pepoy a few years back.
I remember when Jerry Bails used to sell micro-film of GA comics, man we have come a long way.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2009, 06:57:33 AM »

Hi I'm DOC Boucher another big fan of Golden Age books. I recouped alot of my Dyna-Pub collection on eBay and have two of the Special Editions but have never seen the Captain Marvel Jr. one I didn't know it existed till talking to Andrew Pepoy a few years back.
I remember when Jerry Bails used to sell micro-film of GA comics, man we have come a long way.

I actually HAVE a copy of that CMJ Special Edition somewhere, Doc. I know Andrew well. Haven't seen him for years. And, wow, do I ever remember bending over a Microfilm reader perusing Jerry's reels for data for the WW. Talk about ancient history.

Again, welcome.

ip icon Logged

kozmo

message icon
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2009, 03:46:21 PM »

I have the CMJ and the Ray/Black Condor volumes, but never did find the first one at a price I could afford.  These were some of the first opportunities to read GA stories after Steranko's History of the Comics whet my appetite.  I'm pretty sure that I bought them from Bud Plant -- that man's catalog was a treasure chest to a young comics fan trapped in Central Nebraska in the 70's and early 80's.
ip icon Logged

DOC

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2009, 05:36:36 PM »

The Captain Marvel Edition I actually got from Joe Sarno (Comic Kingdom) as a gift. I had all these before but had to sell in 80's for financial reasons.
I still see Andrew Pepoy from time to time, he's doing pretty well in the Indie curcuit.
ip icon Logged

JOP PIOBB

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: JOP PIOBB
message icon
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2009, 04:18:26 AM »

:D I THINK EMULE IS GOOD TO DOWNLOAD SOME OF THE CAPTAIN MARVEL COMICS, NOT ONLY THE 1 OF THE 40'S. FAWCETT AND DC COMICS TOO.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2009, 04:29:35 AM »

Fawcett is fine but DC comics are not public domain they are still under copyright so we can not carry them here
ip icon Logged

bminor

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2009, 04:51:58 AM »

Well, I just started reading this thread. Has it been established that somebody has this?
I know for a certainty that I have the Flashback version of this issue.
If you guys would like me to scan it I sure will...
Yours, bminor
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2009, 05:30:42 AM »

:D I THINK ***** IS GOOD TO DOWNLOAD SOME OF THE CAPTAIN MARVEL COMICS, NOT ONLY THE 1 OF THE 40'S. FAWCETT AND DC COMICS TOO.

It really is better for the community and the site if you do not mention such things. This is a public domain site -- we will not see DC or Marvel material here, and I certainly believe that we should not post ways around that in the forum. I hope that you will agree.

Welcome to GA-UK btw, you will find plenty of comics that are superior to most of DC and Marvel's Golden Age combined output.

B.
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2009, 03:29:10 PM »

I sent a fiche copy of SPECIAL EDITION #1 to a friend who can scan it for me.  Once I get the scans back, I'll see about paginating them.  Take care.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2009, 05:24:13 AM »

Thanks for offering bminor but I know that book.
Better to wait for Darkmark to get his scan up.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.