in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 183 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Stupid publisher tricks. And I'm falling for it!

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Stupid publisher tricks. And I'm falling for it!  (Read 4595 times)

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Stupid publisher tricks. And I'm falling for it!
« on: June 13, 2009, 02:53:26 AM »

So, DC is reviving the ADVENTURE title; with the Legion as the backup.  This is, I believe, the first time one of the big two has declared that EVERY issue of an ongoing title will have a 1:10 variant.  Specifically, the variant cover will continue the numbering of the old Adventure title, starting with 504.

And I'm planning on picking up the variants.  At 1:10, they won't be too expensive at my local store.  And I'm a grand total of 15 issues short of having the original run from 300-503 and love the idea of the numbering continuing.

Not really complaining; I get frustrated at most of the cover variant tricks but I still grab them now and then if it's something I want.  I just needed to vent at myself for buying in to the trend!
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
Re: Stupid publisher tricks. And I'm falling for it!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 03:56:57 AM »

That is a pretty neat idea DC has there, unfortunately I can see the idea being beaten to death by other publishers.  Too bad it's not a 50/50 split like what Dynamite Ent does ...  it's nice to have options.

I'm just waiting for the day when someone takes the running joke from Groo the Wanderer and has every issue of their book be "Issue Number One".  I think Liefeld got close with a lot of his titles ...
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 04:08:38 AM »

I think Milk & Cheese "milked" that gag as far as amusing years ago, Bchat.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 05:44:37 AM »

Eric, what numbers are you needing?

So, DC is reviving the ADVENTURE title; with the Legion as the backup.  This is, I believe, the first time one of the big two has declared that EVERY issue of an ongoing title will have a 1:10 variant.  Specifically, the variant cover will continue the numbering of the old Adventure title, starting with 504.

And I'm planning on picking up the variants.  At 1:10, they won't be too expensive at my local store.  And I'm a grand total of 15 issues short of having the original run from 300-503 and love the idea of the numbering continuing.

Not really complaining; I get frustrated at most of the cover variant tricks but I still grab them now and then if it's something I want.  I just needed to vent at myself for buying in to the trend!
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 07:39:52 AM »

I need to get into storage and check; which is the main reason I haven't filled them in already.  I know they're all in the Supergirl run from 380-424.  I've got all the Legion, Spectre, and Digest issues; as well as the first few Supergirls and the giants.  The digests in particular are hard to find; I only finished those in the past year.

I'm thinking of going even further back and trying to complete the run from 247-up instead of just 300-up.  I wouldn't mind getting the Kirby GA or the Bizarro issues!
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 08:02:44 AM »

Pity you did'nt know me some years back, I could have got your Adventure Comics collection started with issue number 40.

Think of all the fun you could have had filling the gaps between that and issue 300 !  ;)

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 08:31:32 AM »

That would have been a nice one to have!  I'm just happy to have my copy of 247.

I'm glad DC is bringing back Adventure; even if they couldn't settle on a lead feature for very long it's always a fun book.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 06:04:19 PM »

It's amazing to see how many comic folk one runs into that followed the LSH as a young teen. They were fun and full of adventure with a myriad of super stuff sci-fi running thru it's pages. I cut my comic teeth on the Legion.

Guess this is a right time to say...

'Long Live the Legion!'  : o)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 06:06:03 PM by rez »
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 07:08:55 PM »

I really feel the need to say that, in my eyes, of the gimmicks that the comic companies could go with, at least this one shows a certain respect for history.  I suppose it remains to be seen if the new book is as fun as its prior incarnation(s), but the dual numbering at least hints at an inclination to try.
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 03:04:15 AM »

Isn't there some sort of pagan ritual we can use to bring John Forte back for an issue or two?

-Dave
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 06:23:33 AM »

Well said, John.  It's one of the best reasons for doing a variant I've heard yet; it's my exasperation with the fractional variants in general that bug me, not this specific one.
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 07:20:28 AM »

I think the best way we could do it is the same way it was done on that old ADVENTURE cover:  have a bunch of artists standing around his coffin with metal wands raised up towards a thunderstorm.
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 08:29:27 AM »

an interesting idea there for bringing John Forte back from the dead but WHICH artist would you want to get 'Zapped' to revive JF ?

First thing he could do once returned to the land of the living is to finish off that 'Beast Boy' story that he was working on when he passed away.

-Nigel
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 04:23:55 PM by phabox »
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 12:33:09 AM »

an interesting idea there for bringing John Forte back from the dead but WHICH artist would you want to get 'Zapped' to revive JF ?

Oh Geez the choices -- most any of them.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 02:50:47 PM »

Heh.  I was going to suggest a list, but realized that most of them wouldn't go along with it, because they seem to all consider themselves writers rather than mere pencillers.

I recommend just passing out lightning rods and not answering any questions about what they might be for.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.