in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

fredcomics

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: fredcomics  (Read 3256 times)

fredcomics

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: fredcomics
message icon
fredcomics
« on: June 02, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »

hello i am a french
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
Re: fredcomics
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 02:57:16 PM »

Pourriez-vous expliquez "blocked"?  Les FAQ (en rouge, sur le haut) aide le plupart des problemes.

(And now that I've totally butchered a language I used to know fairly well, I'll go work on butchering English in my lecture notes...)
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 05:17:56 PM »

You have not been banned Fred.

PLEASE READ THE FAQ!  (Yellow box at the top of each page)
ip icon Logged

fredcomics

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 01:51:55 PM »

Answer - If you see this message you've either following a link from an external site, forgotten to log in OR you haven't registered with the site yet and are still a Guest.  Members should log-out and log-in again and then try the link and if you haven't registered... what's taking you so long?  Go, now - Register!  It's free!   
Je ne comprend pas ce message d'erreur ! J'ai t
ip icon Logged

fredcomics

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 01:56:41 PM »

Sinon j'ai droit
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 05:25:31 PM »

Sinon j'ai droit
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 10:36:03 PM »

Thank-you for helping here bchat I was worried I'd need to use babel fish and we know that wouldn't have been pretty.
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 01:52:02 AM »

Well, don't get too excited, Yoc.  All I did was take the FAQ section that dealt with his problem, run it through a free online translator [because I don't speak French at all], and posted the results.  I'm not 100% certain it handled the grammar properly.  I am hoping that it helps fredcomics, but won't know for sure until he leaves a reply.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 02:11:40 AM »

Well, don't get too excited, Yoc.  All I did was take the FAQ section that dealt with his problem, run it through a free online translator [because I don't speak French at all], and posted the results.  I'm not 100% certain it handled the grammar properly.  I am hoping that it helps fredcomics, but won't know for sure until he leaves a reply.

When I try to use one of those online translators, bchat,
I always take the translation and convert in back to English through the same translator. I usually find I've made a total hash of things and rephrase my original English until it is simple enough to withstand the "to" and "from" with some degree of fidelity to my intended message. Still, I really WISH I knew more French.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 02:34:38 AM »

JVJ - Yeah, I should have done that, but my twin girls were waking-up from their nap [I'm a stay-at & work-from-home dad for anyone who cares to know that].  Running it through NOW from French to English, it's readable and I understand what it's saying, although the wording has definitely changed.

Example:  I originally typed "I do not speak French [I used an online translator program] but I hope this helps with your problem".  Going from English to French and now back to English, it's become "I do not speak French [I employ a program in line of translator] but I hope that this helps you if you always have problems."  It's close but not exact, as obviously some words don't translate well, like "online".

The problem with "Any Language"-to-English translations that I've noticed using that particular site is that it doesn't seem to adjust the English translation properly for grammar, so the French translation of what I typed/pasted could be perfectly fine for all I know, and it's just the English translation that is being translated too literally.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 04:21:11 AM »

Thanks again bchat.  You had me fooled.
I hope that helped fred.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 09:11:55 PM »

From my rudimentary (and fading) grasp of the language, the French translation is far better than the returned English would lead you to believe.  I find that to be surprisingly common.

I don't have any inside information, but I suspect it's because the programmers know English, but are relying on official grammars for everything else.  A good example is "password."  Somehow, l'Academie Francaise decided that the proper translation is "mot de passe," and so that's what you'll see in any French translation.  However, few list this as a French idiom, so you'll sometimes see this come back as "word of passing."

Fred, pouvez-vous assayer-ci:

1- Va a http://goldenagecomics.co.uk
2- Log out (Noter hors?) sur le haut de la page.
3- Eclaircir vos cookies (petits gateaux?).
4- Assayez un autre fois.  Faire attention en tapant votre mot de passe.
5- Si non, noter hors un autre fois et assayez un autre navigateur et/ou un autre ordinateur.
6- Si cela echoue, il est un probleme serieux, donc envoyez un Message Prive (<<My Messages>> au-dessus) a <<Serj>>.  Il peut le reparer.

Bonne chance.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.