in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,842 books
 New: 99 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Selling Public Domain comics?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Selling Public Domain comics?  (Read 5495 times)

Janus Wolf

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Selling Public Domain comics?
« on: June 22, 2009, 02:22:29 AM »

I noticed this guy selling PD comics and saying he has copyrighted his disks. Is this guy getting the comics from this site?
Do we have more then him? or does he have more then us?

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AVON-GOLDEN-AGE-COMICS-COLLECTION-53-ISSUES-ON-CD_W0QQitemZ360159954177QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53db34c501&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: Selling Public Domain comics?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 02:47:02 AM »

The point is really irrelevant norrin.
Nobody holds copyrights on them nor the scans so this seller whom we are very aware of is legally allowed to do and claim anything he wants.  He can only copyright his particular disk and how the books are shared within it.  So you couldn't copy his disk and sell it as is.

I doubt he has more Avons than us as we are constantly adding new books to the site from a variety of scanners and titles.  I doubt he's updating his ebay ad every time we get a new scan.

If you do a search for 'eBay' on here you'll find this conversation has been covered a few times.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 04:56:52 AM »

heh heh
Getting tired of it yet?

:-*I'm making a resolution not to ever address the subject again.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 05:02:12 AM by rez »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 01:23:31 PM »

Hey, if they find us instead of buying a disk it's a good thing right?
But yes, the subject has gotten old.
:)
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 03:42:15 PM »

But the original question wasn't about ownership, it was about numbers.  And without buying the discs (which I don't think many people here would do), we'd never know.

However, if there were additional books available through that route, then assuming they're in the public domain, they'd be usable here as well.

More than likely, though, it's just an attempt to pick up some cash with minimal effort, which means that the books came either from here or one of the other outlets where public domain books become available like the newsgroups.

Basically, unless you have a thriving business, you're not going to invest the money and time to scan additional books to distinguish yourself from larger, free sites.  Or at least, that's the way to bet.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 04:47:36 PM »

Hey, if they find us instead of buying a disk it's a good thing right?

:)

Many ways to skin a cat.
Me thinks it's time for a blitz of free advertising.

be hmmm, think about that.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 04:58:03 PM »

While the subject has gotten old for us old timers, I appreciate anyone caring enough and taking the time to let us know about it when they first discover it happens.
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 03:05:14 PM »

But the original question wasn't about ownership, it was about numbers.  And without buying the discs (which I don't think many people here would do), we'd never know.

Actually, the guy [and I'm assuming it's a guy] does a pretty good job of listing the entire contents of his cds/dvds [there are a few other people selling discs, this guy in particular just happens to be the "top dog" at the moment], so to determine "who's got more?" all someone needs to do is devote some time and compare his listings to this site.

Me thinks it's time for a blitz of free advertising.

GAC does show-up alot when I do searches for GA comics, and there's quite a few blogs out there that point their readers in this direction.  The only reason I can see that people are going to these eBay listings first before discovering this site is because they're looking to buy something.   Maybe they don't realize that GAC offers the books for free or they weren't looking to download anything.  I'm not sure what benefit any additional "blitz of free advertising" would have.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 03:20:23 PM »

I was thinking if something similar to 'View Free GoldenAge Comics at goldenagecomics.co.uk'  were to be placed in the margins or whatever after scanning for placement here

it might go a long ways to revealing the site to the many out there roaming around

or at minimum keep the pilferers busy editing and at least doing something for their money.

uhoh...is it Pandora's Box or a can of worms?

. :o
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 03:23:59 PM by rez »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 03:58:42 PM »

I always put narfstar in the ads. We could also put the address for GAC. Or we could just let someone make some money I am sure they can use.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 04:03:23 PM »

I was thinking if something similar to 'View Free GoldenAge Comics at goldenagecomics.co.uk'  were to be placed in the margins or whatever after scanning for placement here it might go a long ways to revealing the site to the many out there roaming around or at minimum keep the pilferers busy editing and at least doing something for their money.

I'm not against this idea or something similar.  Last time this topic was brought-up, I mentioned creating a page [using a real GA ad and editing the text] that could be inserted into comic files.  My thoughts were that such an ad may slip by unnoticed by disc sellers IF the even bother to check-out the files, allowing the buyers to see that there was a place online where they could get the books for free.  The reaction to making any type of alteration to the files seemed rather negative, so I didn't push the issue.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 04:41:52 PM »

I think it must be up to individual scanners since we do not want to alter the scans of others. Our own scans we can do as we please. I will try to remember to put something on an ad page.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 04:58:20 PM »

This is completely up to the scanners gang.
But don't forget we sometimes gather and upload scans without the original scanner knowing as well.
We would have no right to add in any watermark.

And adding a watermark to books already on the site would be a Herculean task I sure am not willing to do.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 05:01:17 PM »

Yoc aren't you getting ready for surgery
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 05:49:58 PM »

I wasn't meaning to suggest a watermark as much as just supplying the gac addy in the scans we produce.
I've been doing it for a while now.

viva la GAC!
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 06:03:20 PM »

If one wanted to be clever about such a thing and had talents I don't, then one might consider taking some old ads for internal pllacement in the books.  The various house ads and, of course, the Fox ads (Kooba Cola, the Comicscope, et al) would probably be a good starting point.

I would definitely recommend having something like that for the missing pages.  You know, "this page not intentionally left blank, but we don't have an original.  If found, please send it our way...and read some comics while you're there," or something to similar effect.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 07:10:33 PM »

If one wanted to be clever about such a thing and had talents I don't, then one might consider taking some old ads for internal pllacement in the books.  The various house ads and, of course, the Fox ads (Kooba Cola, the Comicscope, et al) would probably be a good starting point.

I would definitely recommend having something like that for the missing pages.  You know, "this page not intentionally left blank, but we don't have an original.  If found, please send it our way...and read some comics while you're there," or something to similar effect.

I think this idea of obvious replacement pages is probably more viable than subtle changes to real ads, John.
and not even because I am a purist for original content. No, I just know that I seldom actually read the ads in comics and would probably miss anything that wasn't obviously beating me over the eyeballs for attention on an ad page.

Peace, Jim (|:{> (who is patiently waiting for someone to send a new list of comics to scan ... hint, hint, Yoc)
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 07:36:15 PM »

I think this idea of obvious replacement pages is probably more viable than subtle changes to real ads, John.
and not even because I am a purist for original content. No, I just know that I seldom actually read the ads in comics and would probably miss anything that wasn't obviously beating me over the eyeballs for attention on an ad page.

Probably true, but the more obvious it is, the more likely it'll be discarded, too.

And so I'm clear, I didn't mean to suggest altering a copyright statement or something tiny.  I meant a full page layout that a scanner could download and include in his book if he or she wanted.

(Actually, what I really had in mind were the '70s back cover comic ads, like OJ Simpson hawking boots or the kids playing basketball with Dr. J.  For some reason, those always seem to be eyecatching.  But obviously those specifically wouldn't work, because they're still under copyright and have distinctive likeness issues wrapped up.)
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 05:47:48 AM »

Peace, Jim (|:{> (who is patiently waiting for someone to send a new list of comics to scan ... hint, hint, Yoc)

Just two and a half Planets left to scan, Jim, then I'll get them back to you and send you a new list.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 06:32:39 AM »

Just two and a half Planets left to scan, Jim, then I'll get them back to you and send you a new list.

I'll look forward to the new list, Jon. As I mentioned to Yoc, what would be REALLY easy for me is if you scanners could pick one company and just plow though the unscanned issues that I have. Sure would make the record keeping and the pulling and repacking a lot easier. Yet, I'm very adaptable and if you want to ask for an issue here and another there, I can manage.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 05:47:17 PM »

Once I'm through this batch I'm planning to stick to one publisher at a time, Jim.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.