in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

I,me and myself.

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: I,me and myself.  (Read 803 times)

EmmetEarwax

message icon
I,me and myself.
« on: March 17, 2018, 09:22:27 PM »

Hello, I am EmmetEarwax.
In Dec 2016, a burglar plundered the cellar of my house where I had stored the overflow of my comics. He made several intrusions and I suspect a neighbor (he may have been watching my house to see when I was out shopping, so it'd be safe for him to plunder.). He had broken in first through a back door, which I blocked off since.
He stole all my Hulks - everything he could find in my comics. He also stole a VCR monitor, most of my coin collection (with specimens going back to the Civil War),(he had been in my bedroom) my debit cards .. I had just started to prepare lunch about 2:30 p.m., and was heading upstairs to check something -and surprised him ! He wore a black headmask, and wore blue gloves (all to prevent identification.).He hit me with a cane he grabbed from the stair bannister ,knocked me down the stairs and then tied me up with my belt ! He then fled ! He has NOT been back since. Police were informed, at the first theft (coin collection...) but did not believe me.
I replaced -at cost- the coins I had mostly inherited, at least in token, and the stolen debit cards (all had been used in the Hackensack area, and were cancelled by the bank which detected anomalous spending patterns) which ammounted to a theft of $165 or so from my account (on top of what he stole in property !).Some comics were replaced by reprint books.
I have had nightmares about the masked thug,but those faded since... I had ADT security installed, changed the locks ... I have been paranoic since, jumping at any unexplained sounds, tho my paranoia had gradually faded, but it & distrust ,esp. of those neighbors,  will always stay.
I also plan to move this year. That's because I am old, not in good health (not due to the attack) and live alone. I fear DYING alone. I have read accounts of people who had been dead for a year or more before discovery, and do not wish to add myself to those incidents. So I plan to move to an apartment. It must have parking & an elevator (if more than 2 floors). A walk-up that looked perfect,lacked an elevator and parking .(5 floors). I also do NOT want to move far away, breaking all connections.
Well, he did not find my main collection. I no longer add to it, as DC is still on a change-history binge, and as Marvel has been killing off characters right & left. I stopped buying or reading Sonic (Archie) with #135 or so. ALL those were stolen.
I have a few copies of issues here. I may not post any more comments as they seem to be deleted.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: I,me and myself.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 03:48:34 PM »

That's a nasty story, Emmet and I can't imagine how awful it must be to experience something like that.
I'm not sure why you think your comments "seem to be deleted.".  I've just sampled some at random and they're still there.
Good luck with your plans to move to a more suitable location.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.