in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 183 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Sterling's The Informer #4

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Sterling's The Informer #4  (Read 2352 times)

PeterC

• VIP
message icon
Sterling's The Informer #4
« on: July 05, 2009, 01:57:20 AM »

I just downloaded The Informer #4 (http://goldenagecomics.co.uk//index.php?dlid=9974) and was trying to index it over at the Grand Comic-Book Database.  I'm a horrible art Id-er, but apparently the main stories are by Matt Sekowsky.  It's The Cop story that drew my attention though... reminds me of early Mad Magazines, kinda like Wally Wood... Anybody want to take a look and id it?

Peter
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Sterling's The Informer #4
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 02:10:32 AM »

I would say MS also. He did most of that series continued in After Dark. Fairly lackluster even for MS at his worst. I like Luke the Spook though.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 04:41:34 AM »

Here's my take on the book:
Cover appears to be by Art Saaf - which I find odd as I don't think he's known to have worked there.
Help Me, Doctor is Sekowsky & an inker (a la Mike Peppe)
The Cop is Howard Nostrand (note the "Epp & Co" on the truck in splash panel)
Outside the Law is Sekowsky again, but with traces of Bill Draut? Dunno how or why HE should be there.
text illustration looks like Nostrand on the male and someone else (Gene Fawcett?) on the girl.
Luke the Spook - I don't know who this is. This style has been credited to Nostrand, but it isn't him. And I've seen it ID'ed as Howard Post, but it ain't him, either.

Hope that helps.

My 2
ip icon Logged

PeterC

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 01:44:23 AM »

Thanks for the look-see Jims... I've added your guesses to the GCD.  I don't feel so bad about id-ing Howard Nostrand's stuff as like early Mad comics, since everywhere I look online he's noted as a good Wally Wood/Jack Davis imitator.

Peter
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 04:16:07 AM »

You're welcome, Peter,
and I agree that it's easy to think of MAD when you see Nostrand's art.

And now you know WHY you thought of it.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 01:37:59 PM »

There was someone else commonly identified with Mad Magazine...
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.