in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

The Heap?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: The Heap?  (Read 4596 times)

BountyHunter

• VIP
message icon
The Heap?
« on: July 10, 2009, 04:46:54 AM »

I love this guy. Can anyone tell me what comics he's been in?  I'm hoping there are some on the site.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: The Heap?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 05:17:12 AM »

starting in Airboy v3#9 Heap had his own feature
also appeared in the 1980 Airboy from Eclipse
ip icon Logged

BountyHunter

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 05:45:57 AM »

Airboy!! Right.  I couldn't recall the title and my wikipedia's not working on this computer tonight (stupid work computer).

Guess I'll have to look elsewhere for the 80's version though.  lol

Is he in all the Airboy comics?  Or only some of them?
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 07:57:21 AM »

Well, when his strip starts up, he's in almost all issues.  Before that he was just a guest in the Sky Wolf strip.
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 07:55:01 PM »

According to the Keltner Index, The Heap appeared in SKy Wolf's stories in Airboy Comics volume 1 numbers 3 and 9 [other possible appearances are not noted in this Index], then on his own from volume 3 number 9 through volume 6 number 1, then v6 n6-v7 n8, v7 n10-v10 n4

From the Grand Comics Database Project [comics.org]:
1971 Skywald comic "The Heap 1", which the GCD notes as NOT being related to Hillman's Heap.  This character also appeared in Psycho, published by Skywald as well, in issues 2-13.
1987 Airboy-Mr Monster Special 1 from Eclipse Comics featured the original Heap
Apearances reprinted by AC Comics include Golden Age Mystery Men 1, Golden Age Men of Mystery 7 [reprinting his 1st solo adventure]
From Image Comics - Spawn 73-75 [1998].  This is a different version of the Heap than what Hillman created.

Unfortunately, typing "Heap" for a search at GCD also gets results where the letters "h-e-a-p" appear in that order, meaning something like "Cheap" will be part of the results, nor is there anyway to look at specific character's appearances.  It's one of the reasons I like to check-out the OTHER comic database more often than not.

From the Comicbook Database site [comicbookdb.com]:
Eclipse Comics - Airboy [1986 series] - 3-5, 24, 25, 27-30, 38-40, 46, 49,
Target: Airboy 1 [1988]
The New Wave 8-10 [1986]
Total Eclipse 2 [1988]
Total Eclipse: The Seraphim Objective 1 [1988]

Image/Todd McFarlane - Total Eclipse 1 [1998],

The results from here weren't as comprehensive as I would have liked, but the site does do a nice job of cross-referencing different items, such as characters, artists, writers, etc.
ip icon Logged

phabox

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 09:56:12 PM »

The 'Skywald' Heap was Jim Roberts, he was first seen in the Black and White magazine 'Psycho' issue number two dated March 1971 and was created by writer Chuck McNaughton and artist Ross Andru who should be a well known name to most Silver Age fans.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 06:13:01 PM »

Hi guys,
Actually bchat is very wrong about GCD not letting you search by character.
They added that great feature along with several other search options a while back.

You can search by title, publisher, artist, writer, Story Title and Character and other just by selecting the little down arrow beside 'Search for?'

Here's a direct link to a search for 'HEAP' with the 'sort by year' option on so GA appearances will be at the top:
http://tinyurl.com/kstmc2

-Yoc
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

BountyHunter

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 12:24:47 AM »

Well, I just bought the entire 50 issue run of the Eclipse series for 6.99 (plus 27 dollars for S&H) off ebay.  :)

Apparently, Moonstone also put out an issue of Airboy.  Has anyone read that?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 12:45:21 AM »

Eclipse has several specials also did you get those?
ip icon Logged

BountyHunter

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 01:32:58 AM »

You mean the Airmaidens, Mr. Monster ones?  Plus a couple others? I think there were 4 or 5 one-shots.  Yeah, they were all included in the auction, too.   So I kind of lucked out.  :)
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 12:20:48 AM »

Actually bchat is very wrong about GCD not letting you search by character.

Well, "Yes & No", Yoc.  While you can choose "character" as a search parameter, like I stated, you get results that include the letters you type-in and not a specific character.  In the case of "HEAP", I got results that had nothing to do with any character named "Heap", such as "Cheap Skate".  SO, my statement of "nor is there anyway to look at specific character's appearances" is kind of right.

I know a lot of people here prefer GCD, and I'm not knocking the site at all.  However, I prefer the way Comicbook Database handles searches since it allows a more specific approach in finding what you're looking for.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 12:49:07 AM »

Progress on the new schema is progressing at its fastest pace since I started there. Lots of improvements coming.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 03:51:55 AM »

bchat - I find if you hit the radio button to sort by year it helps a lot.  My example link above only showed "Heap" appearances at the top.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new version Narf!
:)
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »

Progress on the new schema is progressing at its fastest pace since I started there. Lots of improvements coming.

I'm assuming they have it under control, but feel free to pass my contact information along if they need an extra pair of hands and eyeballs.  I work more in Ruby than Python (I think I remember you saying they were building in Python), these days, but database and web work doesn't change much.

Considering how old the GCD is, by the way, I think it's held up quite well.  Heh--Whether that says good things about the initial design or the dismal progress of web technology in the last decade or so, though, I'll let you decide...
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 01:07:13 PM »

GCD progress is much due to Henry Andrews who is also a member here. He would appreciate all the help he can get. It is a monumental job. There is a seperate tech list that I am not a part of that you could join John
ip icon Logged

kozmo

message icon
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 03:20:16 AM »

you scored a great deal on that Airboy set. That was a good revival -- it updated the characters but kept the general feel of the originals at the same time.  And they actually ended up reviving most of the Air Fighters characters one way or another before they were done.

There was a Sky Wolf solo mini-series and two or three Valkyrie mini-series as well.  I remember the Sky Wolf as being good but the Valkyrie ones getting progressively worse.

if you enjoy them, definitely look up the Air Fighters and Airboy Comics books on this site.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.