in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Questions about Copyright, Trademark, and International Law

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Questions about Copyright, Trademark, and International Law  (Read 2917 times)

crimsoncrusader

• VIP

I had some questions about somethings regarding the site and copyright laws.

1. I notice that several Nedor comics were renewed on time on the 28th year which one would assume would make them protected under copyright, but I'm guessing the is no copyright holder or else every comic book company that is using them would have been sued by now. Can anyone explain this situation ?

2. I have heard many Charlton comics are in the public domain because of lack of a proper copyright notice. What does a proper notice look like or what was incorrect about Charlton's notices ?

3. I know that only some of the Fawcett comics were renewed, but why are the non-public domain titles on the site ?

4. How do you know if international comics such as ones for the UK or Canada are public domain in the United States ?

5. Characters such as Plastic Man, Blackhawk, Captain Marvel, and some the MLJ heroes while in the public domain are trademarked. What restrictions would this put on them and how can you get around it to use the characters ?

Thanks.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
Re: Questions about Copyright, Trademark, and International Law
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 05:08:11 PM »

1. I notice that several Nedor comics were renewed on time on the 28th year which one would assume would make them protected under copyright, but I'm guessing the is no copyright holder or else every comic book company that is using them would have been sued by now. Can anyone explain this situation ?

The common wisdom is that the renewed copyrights were never transferred anywhere.  So they're still under copyright technically, but nobody has grounds for an infringement case.  Whether that's actualy true or not, though, I couldn't tell you.

2. I have heard many Charlton comics are in the public domain because of lack of a proper copyright notice. What does a proper notice look like or what was incorrect about Charlton's notices ?

A well-formed copyright notice is what you've seen most of your life.  It's the word "copyright" (or the circled-c), the year, and the name of the copyright holder.  "Copyright 1940 XYZ Corporation," for example.

Charlton, as befits their other main business publishing sheet music, was more likely in the '60s to (wrongly) use the ASCAP statement that you see on your CDs.  I don't have anything on hand, but it includes terminology like "International copyright secured," which...well, there's no such thing as an "international copyright."  (I do know what ASCAP means, here, but it's long, boring, and not relevant to comic books.)

3. I know that only some of the Fawcett comics were renewed, but why are the non-public domain titles on the site ?

Serj, who runs the site, decided to host them as a quiet protest to the Captain Marvel/Superman case.

Additionally, it's possible that the books also fall into the Nedor category, since it's very uncommon for companies too actually buy copyrights to old material as "the rights."

4. How do you know if international comics such as ones for the UK or Canada are public domain in the United States ?

There are so many treaties and contradictory laws, I'd just assume "no."  European countries have a Life+70 copyright term, and have retroactively instituted the terms every time they were extended.  What this means is that everybody who might have owned a part of the copyright needs to have died in 1939 for the book to be in the public domain...which is unlikely, given when the books would have been published.

Annoyingly, the Life+70 rule is relatively recent.  It was, previously, Life+50 in most of Europe.  That means that quite a few Golden Age books in England WERE in the public domain in the '90s, but ceased to be so when the new law rolled out.

5. Characters such as Plastic Man, Blackhawk, Captain Marvel, and some the MLJ heroes while in the public domain are trademarked. What restrictions would this put on them and how can you get around it to use the characters ?

The way I find easiest to think about trademarks is by taking the word literally:  It's somebody's "mark in trade," or their corporate identity.  As long as you don't imply a connection to or endorsement by the company owning the trademark, you're safe.  Generally, that's going to mean keeping the trademarks out of any material used to sell, like a cover or title.  (I'm sure there's some amount of boilerplate disclaimers that can be spread around liberally in the "Blah is a registered trademark of XYZ Corp., and its use suggests no..." kind of vein.
ip icon Logged

crimsoncrusader

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 12:49:27 AM »

Thanks John C that clears up much of the confusion. Though I wonder about the Canadian and UK comics here on the site. I would like to use some the characters in my own comics, but wanted to make sure they were definitely public domain before doing so and wanted to know how they were decided to be public domain .
ip icon Logged

Palooka slim

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 02:21:26 AM »

I suppose the charlton western heroes are public domain? does this mean anyone could publish a kid montana archive type book?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 03:46:00 AM »

It would appear that even if Boughten had the trademark it would be abandoned
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 02:11:03 PM »

In most cases, it should be clear.  Just, as always, check the indicia.  If you don't see a normal copyright statement (which seems to be most, but not all, books from the mid-50s to 1967), it should be clear.  And certainly nobody's maintaining the trademarks, as mentioned.  Nobody's heard of these guys in decades.
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 03:24:10 AM »

One minor note:  Except in special cirumstances, once something is in the PD in the US, it cannot be removed from the Public Domain.  Which doesn't keep people from finding ways around things if it's worth money.  It's a Wonderful Life is still in the PD as far as the picture is concerned, it's the soundtrack that they were able to show was still in copyright.  I really should research that a bit further.

It's still a few years away, but when the next expected wave of "extend copyright" hits I'll be shouting from every soapbox I can find to fight it.  Stay tuned.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 02:44:31 PM »

As someone pointed out the copyrights got extended when polititions (Sonny Bono especially) owned them. Now they all write books.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.