in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 183 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Wednesday Comics

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Wednesday Comics  (Read 3563 times)

misappear

• VIP
message icon
Wednesday Comics
« on: July 26, 2009, 12:31:10 AM »

Folks,

Cynical tho I am, I tried Wednesday Comics by DC.  Like it a lot.  Has a good feel to it.  "Throwbackish"

--Dave

Did I just create a word?
ip icon Logged

cimmerian32

• VIP
message icon
Re: Wednesday Comics
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 05:08:01 AM »

I too gave this a try...  VERY nice, but hard to store (I settled on framing the Hawkman page :D)
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 05:47:38 AM »

I've got them stacked in my bookcase, but that's going to be a stopgap measure while the series is running.  No idea what I'll do with them once it's done.

I'm enjoying the series immensely, but it's not quite as good as I first hoped.  The writers seem mostly to be trying to figure out how to write a page a week series and while it's fun, the fact that they're clearly still learning what they're doing is showing at this point on several strips.  The fact that Metamorpho from weeks two and three is actually a two-page spread will be cool as heck in the collected edition, but it killed the momentum dead when I saw part 3 was another single panel, for example.

At this point, I think my favorite strip is Supergirl, of all things.  It's very lightweight, to be sure.  But it's fun, it looks nice, and each page has felt fairly complete in itself.
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 07:21:16 AM »

Doing comics one or two pages a week was something of a British 'art' although one I suspect has been pretty much lost now  :( .

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

Ed Love

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 01:26:28 PM »

I got the first two. But, decided against continuing. For me the price was the big thing...it's priced as a regular comic and I'm getting even less COMPLETE stories and only about half of them are worth it. As it's all non-continuity, I figure I can wait for the inevitable trades and possibly be able to pick and choose which ones I want and be able to read in one sitting without pulling every one out and reading a page or two, go to another issue, find the story, read another page or two, rinse and repeat.

It's a bit novel and it's slickly done, I'll give them credit. But, to really make it worth my while, I think there should have been some one page gag strips (or a page of standard gag strips), mini-mysteries, a text story etc, some stuff that's complete in one or two issues, even if they had to go out of house and get the rights to include a week's worth of "Get Fuzzy", "Pearls before Swine", "Garfield without Garfield", or "Calamaties" each week.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 03:40:07 PM »

I agree that the price is steep for 15 pages of work, but it's the only money I'm spending on comics, as the cover price of all comics has ceased to equate to an equal amount of reading pleasure for me.  I can only justify the 3.99 for Wednesday Comics because of the novelty of the limited series.  As a kid, I was a stripper before I bought comic books.  (My mother, bless her heart, would only buy Classics Illustrated, which I did read over and over.  She even encouraged me to send to Gilberton for back issues!)  I would cut out strips from the Sunday and daily papers and stack them neatly in boxes.  I had all my stuff stacked on a low shelf when our house flooded with 18 inches of water and all my strips were wiped out.  Maybe it's because of childhood memories of clipping strips, or the loss of my accumulated treasures that I found the DC project so attractive.

In the DC project, unfortunately, the Wonder Woman strip is visually unappealing to me in the extreme, and I have no idea what's going on in the Titans strip.  As OtherEric points out, the creators seem to be feeling their way through this.  Compare an old Batman or Superman newspaper strip to these current incarnations and I'm afraid that the new stuff lacks a lot in content and pacing.  But then it's only $4.00.

I've got a buddy who spends between $50.00 and $150.00 per week on comics, what with archives and trades.  And he's been doing that for years!  I know there are a lot of folks doing the same, and I'll never really understand that.

ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 11:03:11 AM »

I can remember before I was a grown up and living at home, I was able to spend usually about $20 a week on new comics. The big bust came once a month when I'd go to a local convention and blow about $400. Of course at the time I no financial responsibilities. It's that whole "having to eat" and "paying the mortgage" thing that gets me!
ip icon Logged

BountyHunter

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 07:24:07 AM »

What is this Wednesday Comics thing i keep hearing about all over the Internet, and where can I find these?
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 07:59:25 AM »

It's a 12 issue weekly comic from DC; done in the format of an old "one page, one strip" Sunday Funnies section.  You can find it at your local comic shop.  The book is slightly bigger than a normal comic book on the shelf, but it unfolds twice into a HUGE page, roughly 4 times bigger than a normal comic and double the size of a treasury book.  No staples; on a nice newsprint stock.

It's 4 dollars for 15 pages of stories; one page each for 15 features.  Some people look at it and see 15 pages for 4 dollars and think it's overpriced; some see 60 pages worth of material for 4 dollars and think it's cheap compared to current comics.  (I'm somewhere in the middle; I think 4 dollars is probably about right compared to current comics.)
ip icon Logged

Ed Love

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 01:22:34 PM »

For me, it's not the page count really. It's that everything are incomplete stories, just 1/15th of a story with very little space to develop it. I read it and I find the read unsatisfactory, even moreso as I'm getting less of each story. The Sunday Funnies format works because you have some serials (at different stages in their stories, one may be beginning while another is ending), some gag strips, some that fall in between and work as both. AND you have the rest of the newspaper with complete articles and such. I finish this and I am immediately looking for something else to read as I feel like I just had a meal where I was only allowed a teaspoon sample of each dish.
ip icon Logged

cimmerian32

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 09:19:28 PM »

I look at as 16 pages of art, on the equivalent of 64 pages of comic size paper...  for the first issue, the Hawkman page itself was worth the price of admission.  My LCS is 40 minutes away, so I haven't gotten in to get the other issues that have come out, but I intend to.
ip icon Logged

LastQuestion

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: LastQuestion
message icon
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 07:21:44 AM »

I'm not picking this up, but its really hard not to w/ the creators they've got onboard.
I think this could be something to get once it gets packaged as a collection.
Probably going to be pretty pricey though.

JRC
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.