in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Please help identify a comic strip

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Please help identify a comic strip  (Read 1573 times)

Ramcrammer

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Ramcrammer
message icon
Please help identify a comic strip
« on: August 22, 2009, 06:52:02 AM »

A friend of mine has been researching at the public library to find out about a comic strip he once followed, which may have run in the Chicago Sun-Times, and perhaps others.  Can anyone help us out with the name of the heroine and/or the name of the strip?  Here's my friend's description:

"The heroine had dark hair and by touching her wrist with her hand, would become invisible. She had a partner against crime named Stainless Steel.  SS was depicted as a good looking fellow with curly, either white or blond hair. No special powers. I recall that they were battling an ugly skinny guy that had steel bones because he had, at some former time, broken every bone in his body. And had steel bones for replacements.  Now here's the weird one: A giant fish, wearing a belt with a gun in a holster, who always smoked a cigar, underwater, no less!?   How he fit in to all this is unknown to me, but I remember one time Stainless Steel was chasing the skinny guy who jumped off a high overpass and kept going. Stainless, stumped as to how he could jump and survive, decided to do the same, which merely left him woozy for awhile but with no broken bones."

I hope this description is sufficient.  Good luck with this, and thanks!

Ramcrammer

ip icon Logged

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Please help identify a comic strip
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 08:23:32 AM »

Invisible Scarlett O'Neil

http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/index.php?dlid=6039

http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/index.php?dlid=1725

The character also appeared for a long run of Famous Funnies; but due to the Buck Rogers strip in that comic we can't post them here.

No idea about Stainless Steel; but there was another feature in Famous Funnies called Fearless Flint.  I'm not sure I've ever seen that one.  I suspect your friend is conflating two features.
ip icon Logged

Ed Love

• VIP
message icon
Re: Please help identify a comic strip
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 11:24:08 PM »

According to toonopedia, there was a supporting character called Stainless Steel and he eventually took over the strip. Although the official Invisible Scarlet O'Neil site, www.invisiblescarletoneil.com, doesn't mention him.
ip icon Logged

Ramcrammer

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Ramcrammer
message icon
Thanks!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 04:06:23 AM »

Thanks Ed Love and OtherEric for your help.  I will pass the information and links along to my friend.  I'm sure he will be most appreciative.  And wait till he sees those links to the posted comic books--WOW!

Ramcrammer
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.