in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Sandman by Simon & Kirby

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Sandman by Simon & Kirby  (Read 1788 times)

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Sandman by Simon & Kirby
« on: August 25, 2009, 05:56:24 AM »

Has anybody else seen this yet?  A VERY nice collection from DC, reprinting all the S&K Sandman stories and covers, even the 70's version.  It's actually reproduced directly from scans of the original books, and for the most part it looks very nice, even if some pages the color is a bit off.  (I've got two of the originals; the colors aren't bad but they're not exactly what originally showed up, either.)  I'm one of the more vocal defenders of the "line art recreation" a lot of reprints use, but this is also a very nice way to see the books.  I was wondering what others think, I personally feel Sandman is the high point of S&K's pre-war work.  (Captain America lacks some polish in my eyes; Boy Commandos hasn't aged well, Newsboy Legion & Guardian always felt like it was trying to go two direction at once, and Manhunter, while interesting, has too few episodes to really judge.)

I did have one question:  Does anybody know why they included Adventure 100 and 102 (but not 101) in the book?  GCD has those as by Gil Kane, and I can't recall seeing those credited to S&K before.  S&K did return to the covers after a two issue gap on 100 and they do look better than the run from 92-99 that I've seen, but they don't have a S&K byline and they don't quite look like the others in the book.  Any guesses?
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
Re: Sandman by Simon & Kirby
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 08:56:17 PM »

Mike's Amazing world of DC comics (http://www.dcindexes.com/database/story-details.php?storyid=3639)  has some info on this.  The cover was Kirby, but Joe Samachson wrote and Kane drew. 
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Sandman by Simon & Kirby
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 05:27:42 AM »

Interesting, he has Kirby as the penciling the stories in 100 and 102.  I guess I can buy that, having now seen those.  Like I said, a great collection.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.