in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Microfiche

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Microfiche  (Read 4495 times)

bromichaelhenry

message icon
Microfiche
« on: August 13, 2018, 06:38:10 PM »

Hello

Has anyone ever did business with Microcolour? I don't know if they are still in business however I see on their product list a complete line of several Golden Age comic series on microfiche.

I'm interested in finding someone who has purchased the Centaur Comics "Funny Pages" from them. They claim to have a complete set of the series.

This is their homepage: http://www.microcolour.com/mci.htm

This is their catalog: http://www.microcolour.com/mci003.htm

This is an order form: http://www.microcolour.com/us_comix.gif
ip icon Logged

bromichaelhenry

message icon
Re: Microfiche
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 11:36:26 PM »

Also, I have been told that the Lansing Library has these exact list of comics on microfilm
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 04:23:52 PM »

Maybe I'm a bit too wary, but I'm not sure about this one. Their ad. looks like one of those old stamps on approval ads.  I can't find a full size example of a page on their site, but I could have missed it.  You seem also to have to shell out for a special reader.  I wonder where they got their files from. Hmmmmm!
I wont be investing. I'm out - as they say on Dragons Den.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 08:15:35 AM »

Aren't these the microfiche copies that are floating around? Nasty horrible things?
ip icon Logged

Kracalactaka

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Kracalactaka
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 03:25:09 PM »

someday, hopefully, this will be a fiche free site
ip icon Logged

bromichaelhenry

message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 09:55:23 PM »

Ok

The person sent me a sample

http://prntscr.com/kjj0ot

He wants $96 bucks for the complete run of Funny Pages. The problem is that I have no machine to scan them into a computer. If I choose to get these, is there anyone out here with the equipment to do the transfering?
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 09:48:56 AM »

I think you will find that they have all most likely already been done. As you might guess, I really am not a fan of fiches lol
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 03:20:59 PM »

Hi BMH,
The screen shot appears to show these are not as dark and murky as some of the fiche that's shared on the site.

I know srca1941 from here and on DCM has had some luck scanning from fiche in the past but he's very busy most of the time and only shows up here from time to time.  He's based in the USA.  I would suggest not buying anything until you know if he or someone else is able to scan your fiche for you.

I wouldn't order the complete run of Funny Pages.  We only need a few from v2 on.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

srca1941

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 04:36:11 PM »

Thanks Yoc for pointing me here. Yes I do get busy from time to time with work, church, or other activities and can't do as much scanning as I'd like. I am willing to do some however and could schedule some time to work on a project like that. The biggest problem is that I don't feel like I've quite perfected the method yet. My first fiche "scan" was mostly OK, but with subsequent ones I had some uneven focusing issues. (I think I just need to shoot a page at a time rather than a two page spread.)

Given my time issues, I'm perfectly willing to teach other people my method. There are a few things one would need. Most importantly is a decent DSLR camera, 16 megapixels or greater, with a good macro lens. I use a Nikon D5100. The standard kit lens that comes with it is not sharp enough, so I use a Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 manual lens that my grandfather had. These are the most expensive components. That particular lens runs about $300-400, but with some savvy shopping, you could probably find something cheaper.

Beyond that, you would probably need to invest an additional $100 for a light box, Gorillapod, and an overhead stand to attach the Gorillapod to. This setup is good not only for "scanning" fiche, but also for copying slides, negatives, or items that would be too large for a scanner.

The macro lens probably puts this outside the capabilities of most people, but for those who are already photographically inclined, it's really not a complicated setup.

-Eric
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 10:05:42 PM »

I have a bunch of their fiche and the reader. If I can dig up the reader in my attic, I
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 06:21:12 PM »

I have a scanner with a transparency setting. I have the fiche of Green Giant that has been scanned before I got my scanner. I can try some of my fiche and see if my scanner will scan it.
ip icon Logged

bromichaelhenry

message icon
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 06:36:14 PM »

Sorry about the delay, with hospital visits and all, however, yesterday, I purchased the Fiche titles that aren't on the site so when I get them, I can see what can be done to scan them.

Also, yea, I don't like fiche much either however it may be the only choice on some of these older titles.
ip icon Logged

bromichaelhenry

message icon
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 06:53:59 PM »

The microfiche came in today and by the looks of them they are in very nice condition. Color copies. Now to start figuring out how to get them from microfiche to computer.

I'm really looking forward to having a complete set of Arrow appearances.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.