in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 183 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 207 - Monkeyshines Comics 12

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 207 - Monkeyshines Comics 12  (Read 1347 times)

movielover

• Administrator
message icon
Week 207 - Monkeyshines Comics 12
« on: August 08, 2019, 12:48:48 PM »

This week we go to a funny animal book, with Ace's Monkeyshines Comics 12, located here https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=66272

I picked the first story with Marmaduke Monk
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
Re: Week 207 - Monkeyshines Comics 12
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 04:08:56 AM »

Marmaduke Monk - Wow, that was stupid.

It's About Time - That was dumb.

Pete the Peke - While not great I did like the ending where the brat did get what was coming to him.

Help Wanted - Better than the previous stories.

When Knighthood Was In Flower - At first I thought he would end up dreaming he's in medieval times, but was pleasantly surprised the writer took a different direction.

The Dog and the Bone - Why couldn't this guy have written the rest of the book? Oh, riiiight...  ;)

Monkeyshine Heroes Are Made - Not Born - Different.

The Commuter - Wow! Actual humor-like product. 8-o  ;)

Harry the Horse - Eh, okay. (Relatively speaking.)

The Great Lover - All that build-up for that ending??? It needed a confrontation, not a cheap gag.

The Rhyming Rabbit - Sadly predictable.

Nutty Squirrel - A weak joke, normally, but in this book it's in the top 5.

Tuffy Bear - And the low quality of humor continues to the end.

You would have thought that humor-rationing would have ended after the war, but I guess they needed time to rebuild the humor stockpile.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 10:26:04 PM »

I should probably add to my comments for the first story, given it's the story we're supposed to read.

I can swallow Marmaduke getting into trouble the first two times, but after the horse sat on him he should have asked his nephews if there were any other words that horse was trained to respond to. It was stupid of the character not to ask and it felt like the writer didn't think the audience would be smart enough to think of that either.

Writing aside, the art for the issue was okay.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 08:57:41 PM »

"Wow, that was stupid" Don't have to write anymore. I concur. My intro to Marmaduke was in the IW/Super reprint
ip icon Logged

lyons

message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 07:44:55 PM »

After the post-war superhero market lost popularity, Dell Publishing and Walt Disney's massive success selling themed comics around funny animals led the industry to target younger readers in a way it never had before.  For 20 years, children's comics about funny animals were the main market for the comic industry - a time when the broad consensus was that comics were for kids and any adult who read them was considered a simpleton.  Monkeyshines Comics and Marmaduke Monk are prime examples of why this consensus existed - a poorly written but entertaining look into children's comics.  Thanks movielover. 
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 12:17:20 AM »

Some times I feel I'm an old grump who doesn't give these comics a chance. Like now, because I think this book is bottom-of-the-barrel. The art is weak. Even Vince Fago, who is usually pretty good, looks like he was drawing in his sleep. Almost all the stories are slo-o-o-w setups of a weak punchline. "It's about Time" could have been told in four panels. Only "When Knighthood Was in Flower" raised a few smiles.

Stories were the biggest problem in Golden Age funny-animal comic books. Most characters were as interchangeable as the scripts, which were usually either a series of pratfalls or a build-up to a punchline. Good stories were being written--Walt Kelly and Carl Barks, of course. Howie Post and Ken Hultgren came up with some interesting stuff. I note that all these men were writer/artists who had unusually strong drawing skills. I guess it's unfair to hold everyone to that standard. But at least the writers could have written stories with plots. They managed to create plots for the "realistic" comics.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

positronic1

message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 04:21:10 AM »

For a comic purportedly aimed at little kids, we get jokes based on suicide notes? I guess they judged it to be OK, as long as the punchline makes it clear that no actual suicide took place? I doubt if THAT would have passed the CCA.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 07:46:28 AM »

When you have work by the likes of Walt Kelly,Carl Barks, Floyd Gottfredson, and Howie Post, the bar is set fairly high and this doesn't really make it.
Dell and Disney went into the 'Funny Animal' books in a big way, with established characters from Newspaper strips and the cartoons that were shown at the movies. I think the connections between Big screen cartoons, Newspaper strips and 'Funny Animal' comics is probably underestimated.
Looking at the way these characters are drawn, there does seem to be a generic 'Funny
Animal' style. The drawings in this book are very reminiscent of funny animal movie cartoons. [Why the white gloves? - There is a reason, it escapes me tho.] 
The comedy is slapstick, laughing at people falling down or getting hurt, blown-up, shot or whatever. Note the cover, for which you could substitute The Katzenjammer Kids. Never did find them funny.  Re the first story,- Its visually awkward when 'cartoon' animals interact with 'real' animals.
Maybe I'm getting too old [I am] and know too much about horses. But!
Falling on your butt off a horse is not funny. At least as depicted here.  The most dangerous place to be is close behind a horse. And if a horse sat on you, it would break bones.
The last panel, with the kids doing what Uncle couldn't, is reminiscent of Donald and his nephews. And there we have the comparison that shows us just what a low level this book sets.
Nutty the Squirrel > This is a verbal stand-up gag. Waste of time illustrating it.
'Harry the Horse' Another verbal standup gag. The book is paddded out wth these. 
Nutty Squirrel> another cliche story, not too bad.
The Aesop's Fable is a real Aesop's fable.
The main thing wrong with this?  There just aren't any good visual gags to illustrate the script.   

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 07:44:07 AM »

Hi Gang, I'm new to this website and forum, so I'm late to this thread. But, I'll give my input anyway, especially because I've been a Funny Animal comics fan since the late 1940s, and I've been a storywriter, storyboard artist, and cover sketch artist for Disney Comics for the past 35 years, and also a story editor for some of those years.  Collecting scans of ALL 1940s and 1950s Funny Animal Comics from USA (as an historian, I collect all "Monkeyshines Comics", and Ace's related "Fun Time" Giant Comics).

I must say that this particular issue of "Monkeyshines" is about as weak in both storyline and artwork quality as I can remember (although, I do admit that the overall quality of all issues of "Monkeyshines" is pretty poor when compared to Disney, WB, MGM, Walter Lantz, The Sangor-Hughes Studios, and the other top Funny Animal purveyors.

(1)Marmaduke Monk:  
Very disappointing for the lead story and the iconic standard-bearer of Ace's funny animals characters.  The story tries to be a clone of Carl Barks' late 1930s-early 1940s Donald Duck cartoons and early comic book stories in which Donald's ego has him bragging he's better at something than his Nephews, and gets punished for that by being the victim of increasingly painful and embarrassing accidents caused by his lack of knowledge, poor judgement, and stubbornness. Unfortunately, all the gags are almost the same, and wouldn't have been funny the first time. The gags should be different, increasing in their severity of mistake on Marmaduke's part, more painful, more embarrassing to him, more unexpected by the reader, and more funny. Marmaduke's nephews (taking Huey, Dewey, and Louie's part) neither make fun of their uncle (like the ego rivalry between Donald and his nephews, nor do they play the part of the adult ("voice of reason") to their uncle's childish behaviour. 

The story has virtually NO redeeming features. It is extremely boring and unfunny. The artwork is fairly sparse, and not very good.  The lead character is terribly constructed (way out of proportion for a monkey, and way too long legged for a Human.

(2)"It's About Time:"
Nutty Squirrel TWO-Page Gag:
  Taking 2 full pages for an inane gag that even a 3-year old wouldn't find funny, is really reaching.  Pathetic pun for the story title is the BEST feature of this "story".

(3) Pete The Peke:
This story stars an extremely nasty and downright mean little kid, who cruelly tries to injure his uncle merely to have fun.  It's tough to root for a cold-blooded lead character like that.  The story has him playing a few unfunny tricks on his uncle that result in slapstick pratfalls, and the uncle's growing frustration.  The uncle doesn't even try to teach the boy a lesson.  The boy, trying to play another trick, makes a mistake that backfires, and gets paint all over himself.  The uncle enjoys the kid's discomfort, and the fact that he learned his lesson.

The story's morals are correct. But, there are no interesting characters, and the events of the story are all too predictable. Unfortunately for the book's readers, this is probably its best story. The artwork is about average for the early 1940s, but not interesting, at all, and the backgrounds are extremely sparse.  The uncle's body proportions are wrong. He's way too long-legged (as Marmaduke Monk was).  I think both stories were drawn by the same artist.

(4)Harry The Horse Story:
This was about a lazy, henpecked husband, who would do anything to avoid work.  It was not very consistent to its premise, because he does work - building a wagon to carry groceries, to avoid carrying the heavy load.  But, it's all sight gag driven, and there are no nice and funny surprises.  Everything is
happens as expected.  The art is better than most of the other stories. The attempt of work to avoid other work ends up in him needing to do even more work, and Harry is bitter.  He doesn't learn his lesson.

(5)"When Knighthood Was in Flower" -Nutty Squirrel:
This is the first story in this book to actually have a plot twist, with a coincidence, with the paths of different characters crossing to produce an unexpected result.  Nutty tries on his ancestor's suit of armour, and gets trapped inside it.  He wanders helplessly, and comes across two criminals.  He accidentally knocks them unconscious, becoming a hero, but must suffer the pain (heated rear-end) from the blow torch, needed to help open the suit of armour (melt it?).  Better story (relatively only-mind you), and better art (also relatively).

(6)The Dog and The Bone (Aesop's Fable): 
Good art.  A one page gag stretched to 3 pages. Story has all the right elements.  A highlight in a low-quality book of this calibre.

(7)Tuffy Bear Story:
A ridiculous plot - Tuffy professes his uncontrollable love for candy canes. The owner of a candy factory has to leave his factory (He has no daily workers?  He can't lock the doors?) He asks 3 young boys to watch his factory until he can return.  Tuffy volunteers to take on that task (as expected). He plans to help himself to several of the large candy canes. He gets a painful shock finding that the owner put electrified wires across the boxes of candy. Next, he falls into a vat of candy syrup, and is trapped.  The owner returns, and fills a giant candy cane mold with liquid candy from the vat.  As expected, Tuffy falls into the mold with the liquid.Later, the candy factory owner opens the mold, but sees a giant lump in the dried candy cane (caused by the trapped boy (who should have died of suffocation).  He realises that he can't use the misshapen cane, so gives it to Tuffy's 2 friends.  Tuffy, still inside tries hopping away, bouncing the cane like a pogo stick, which breaks it.  His mates tell him he's got what he wanted - he can eat up all the giant broken pieces.  But, as expected, Tuffy complains that he never wants to even SEE candy again, after his ordeal.  Too unbelievable a story, and too expected.

(8)  Carrot Top Cabot - "The Rhyming Rabbit":
This story is an old-time(early 1900s football story told narrated in rhyming verse (copying "Casey At The Bat". It stars Ferdie Fieldmouse*, who is put into the game to carry the ball, running in circles stalling on the last play, with only seconds left, as his team is leading.  But, like Mighty Casey, he becomes the goat, when he tries to become the star of the game by scoring a touchdown, but runs the wrong direction - scoring the winning touchdown for the opposing team.  No surprises.  Everything too predictable.  No real characterisation.  The artwork is halfway decent, but backgrounds are very sparse.

The entire comic book reeks from the feeling that this company wanted to get in on the bonanza of selling hundreds of thousands of 10 cent magazines to parents who want to keep their kids entertained, and the little, non-discriminating youngsters won't know the difference between well-told and poorly-told stories, or sensible vs. non-sensible plots, or well-drawn vs, poorly-drawn artwork.  Unfortunately, back in the early 1940s, comic books were just starting out, and the story writers and artists were just figuring out how to  tell stories in that format (which was different from short cartoons and feature-length cartoons, and also different from few-panel newspaper comic strips, and even different from telling longer stories in serialised continuation of short daily comic strips.

Disney found the best way to do that by getting highly dedicated, clever former animation artists and skilled and dedicated storywriters like Carl Barks.  But, many of the other major publishers didn't put as much emphasis on ensuring the quality of their "Funny Animal" series. Ace was one of those.

*Interesting use of the name: Ferdie Fieldmouse, because Floyd Gottfredson was already using that name for one of Mickey Mouse's two nephews.  But, if I remember correctly, his "Ferdy" was spelt with "y", rather than "ie".

« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 10:11:26 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 11:55:34 PM »

Hi Robb, Great to someone of your background and experience contributing here.
You might be able to clarify something for me. Maybe in a new thread.
It's obvious that there was a relationship between comic book funny animal artists and writers and professional animators. Some of these guys came across and did comic books,  and maybe vice versa.
If you could enlighten us, I for one would be appreciative.
Cheers!
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 04:18:30 AM »

Hi Robb, Great to someone of your background and experience contributing here.
You might be able to clarify something for me. Maybe in a new thread.
It's obvious that there was a relationship between comic book funny animal artists and writers and professional animators. Some of these guys came across and did comic books,  and maybe vice versa.
If you could enlighten us, I for one would be appreciative.
Cheers!

A large percentage of comic book artists have ALWAYS worked in animation, just as many have worked in advertising, because the pay for comic book drawing and writing has always been relatively low compared with those other drawing fields.  Only workaholics like Carl Barks and Floyd Gottfredson could make a living from comic books alone, other than story writers and artists who also worked as editors for their publishers, like Stan Lee, Vince and Al Fago, Carl Buettner, Chase Craig, and so many others. I have worked in animation, myself, on 4 films in USA for Hanna Barbera Feature Animation, Turner Feature Animation, and Warner Bros. Feature Animation, plus 2 more for a German/Luxembourgian firm, and also worked for a few small independents on animation clean-up and digital painting for educational shorts and gaming (Iworked on the 1996 version of "Mortal Combat The Game".

I realise it would be better to start a new thread so that more people will see this.  But, in which section of the forum should we place it (which category?).  What should I call it?  How should I start it off? - Maybe you should start it off, as you know what you had in mind.  Maybe we should ask forum members who work in the comic book industry to talk about it for the laypeople here.  I'm absolutely sure there will be many others on this forum who work in the industry (artists, writers, editors).  They get into this field because comics are a passion with them.  A big part of their lives. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 08:20:43 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 09:59:42 AM »

The Comic Talk section would seem appropriate.

I have a few books on comics history and can probably post some info as well.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 11:36:36 PM »

Robb,
I suggested a new thread, because when an exiting thread goes off-topic to something equally interesting, you would have to laboriously read through a lot of threads to find the subject matter accidentally. Making it an individual thread, ( with a clear heading) would make it easier to find.
But I'll give some thought to starting one myself.
Thanks for the response.

Cheers. 
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 01:00:36 AM »

I will start a new thread on "Comic Talk" discussing the comic book artists who came from animation, and conversely, those who started in newspaper strip comics and comic books, who later got into animation work (including myself) 8).
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.