in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,177 books
 New: 241 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Space Adventures 07

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Space Adventures 07  (Read 233 times)

Andrew999

message icon
« on: November 30, 2019, 05:30:03 PM »

Imagination my surprise waking up this morning to find an old Charlton comic from 1954 splattered all across the UK media! Excitement isn’t a word long enough.

Was Dick Giordano’s Transformation in Strange Adventures 7 really the first transgender graphic story? There are many CBR members more expert than I, so I present to you the challenge of finding an earlier example (not just Sherlock in disguise or someone in drag – but true transgender) I wonder, for example, if there was an early pictorial portrayal of Virginia Woolf’s Orlando?

Anyway, on to a brief review of SA7:
Lovely Giordano cover with a rather startling phallic rocket embedded at an angle in the ground – with a round hole nearby…hmmm…. How did they get away with this stuff? The story broods with a sense of dark foreboding, nuclear war, blackmail, loneliness, death….an accident and an experiment in hormones that leads to a Mars-shattering irony – I bet you’re hooked? A six-page sci-fi masterpiece from Dead-Eyed Dick!

The rest of the issue struggles to keep pace – Frank Follo’s Doomed Civilisation has good grouping in the panels and a neat twist in the end, though, hand on heart, I guessed it. Stan Campbell’s Homecoming was a similar tale – a bit static, but Tony Tallarico’s Eternity in Space was better with a very believable space station and an amoral tale of twinned psycho-clones in sibling conflict.

Link to the book: Space Adventures 07
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 12:49:02 AM »

Wasn't there an EC science fiction story in which humanoid aliens(?) changed gender over time? I have a vague memory of a story with this gimmick, but I have no EC's to check it against. I seem to recall it was drawn either by Kamen or Feldstein.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.