in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 183 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Desert Island Graphic Novels

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Desert Island Graphic Novels  (Read 265 times)

Andrew999

message icon
Desert Island Graphic Novels
« on: June 10, 2020, 04:22:34 PM »

For the last 78 years (yes, you read that correctly) Desert Island Discs has been broadcast on BBC Radio 4 on a weekly basis. It's a simple show - a celebrity (the castaway) chats to the presenter about their life and in between topics, the presenter plays eight favourite discs chosen by the celebrity. The McGuffin is that the celebrity is to be stranded on a desert island and is allowed those eight discs plus one book and a luxury.

We can turn that around slightly. If you were to be stranded on a desert island, what eight graphic novels / comic books / golden age collections would you take with you, what favourite record and what luxury?

I might go for:

Watchmen
Palestine
Greyshirt: Indigo Sunset
Tom Strong
Supreme
Chandler (Jim Steranko's Red Tide)
Tamara Drewe
Truer than True Romance

Of course, tomorrow I might choose a different eight! (Man of Mystery that's me)

My all-time favourite record: Martian Hop, the Ran-Dells

My luxury - a bottle of best Soberano Brandy!!
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Desert Island Graphic Novels
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 03:19:18 AM »

This is an impossible task.
I'm thinking of things from the Golden Age and earlier only.
Collections by
Alex Toth
Will Eisner
Kirby
Chester Gould
Alex Raymond
Krazy Kat - Herriman
Carl Barks
Steve Ditko
Walt Kelly
CC Beck
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 05:38:23 AM »

Comic Book Story Collections of work by:
1. Carl Barks
2. Floyd Gottfredson
3. Walt Kelly
4. Ken Hultgren
5. John Stanley
6. Jack Bradbury
7. Daan Jippes & Freddy Milton
8. Ben Sangor's Studio (animators Lynn Karp/Don R. Christenson/Jim Tyer/Frank Frazetta, etc.)

Record - How could I choose 1???  I have 40,000 45s, 4,000 LPs, and 500 78s, and my favourite songs (all rated "absolutely perfect" number roughly 1,000.  Getting them down to THAT number is extremely difficult.  I'd want to take, at LEAST 1,000 with me.  My favourite changes among them each day, depending upon my mood.  One day it might be "Red Sails in The Sunset" by The Five Keys, another, it might be "My Girl" by The Temptations, another, it might be "I'm Yours" by The Flamingos, or "Liberation" by The Afro Blues Quintet Plus One, or "Walking By Myself" by Jimmy Rogers, or "Up On The Roof" by The Drifters, or "Young Boy" by Barbara Green, or "Lucky To Loved By You" by Emanuel Lasky, or "I'll Fly Away" by The Staples Singers, or "I'll Come Running" by Carolyn Crawford.  I guess if someone put a gun to my head to force me to pick one now, I'd go with The Five Keys' song I listed first.  But that might change in 5 minutes.

Luxury - my lady friend -

if THAT isn't allowed, at my age,  I'd take a guaranty of excellent health, as there are really no luxuries I partake in other than being able to do what I enjoy, without being impaired by anything from the outside, such as pandemics, police brutality, tax collectors, and racists who hate me because for some weird reason, they think my ancestors killed their god 2,000 years ago, and poisoned their wells during the Bubonic Plague peak periods.

Actually, I've got the first 2 of the three things with my right now, and, I'm sort of trapped (on a desert island) inside my sister's house, without being able to go home.  I have access to virtually all my favourite songs on YouTube, and all my favourite comic book stories - plus a lot of "new-to-me" stories on this website, and/or stored by me on my computer.  I just have only Internet videophone contact with my lady friend and family other than my sister and brother-in-law(for whose company I am grateful - rather than being completely alone for months on end).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 04:48:12 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 03:14:56 PM »

As Panther says, Impossible Task. But I'll have a go and this is today's choice. I'm sure by tomorrow or next week it'll be different.

GN;TPB; Albums in no particular order:-
Planetary, 'cos it's about the best things to happen in comics in recent times
The Rocketeer - Dave Stevens original
Corto Maltese: Les Celtiques, the French version with Ange a la Fenetre D'Orient
The first Jack Staff collection
Dan Dare: The Man From Nowhere
The Complete Jim Aparo Phantom
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - the first adventure
Batman Year One - Mazzucchelli
Doctor Who GN - Voyager - lots of tasty John Ridgeway art
And for a bit of humour, perhaps Jane at War.

Record, as Robb says,"How could I choose 1???".  Right now, today, 'cos I've been listening to it, Get Yer Ya-Ya's out, Rolling Stones

Luxury - Rather a lot of good Italian red wine.

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 01:04:12 AM »

Robb, great choices. 
Paw,
I wouldn't disagree with any of your choices. Read or own most of them, and all high on my list of preferences.

Wot, no Horak James Bond?
For some reason  I favor 'The Hildebrand Rarity'

Gift for you - List of Bond comics  international - oddly no Horak in this list.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_James_Bond_comics

But they are listed here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaroslav_Horak 

Music?
Absolutely impossible!
Pink Floyd - 'wish you were here?' And I'm not just being facetious! 

Cheers!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.