in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 185 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Excel Spreadsheet

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Excel Spreadsheet  (Read 13263 times)

brentp256

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: brentp256
message icon
Excel Spreadsheet
« on: February 05, 2010, 04:25:24 PM »

I'm working on an Excel spreadsheet (2007) to create a master list of comics (I'm only up to about where I'm reading around 1940-ish).  If anyone is interested in seeing what I have done, or in helping fill it in, please let me know and I'd love to share.

I need to see data visually, so this helps me.

It also tracks # issues in a month, new series, canceled series, and ones that are missing in my collection (digital, for me). 

I'd also love any suggestions feedback for improvement!

I included a jpeg screenshot attachment of part of it.

If you are interested, feel free to e-mail me at my screenname above @gmail.com
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: Excel Spreadsheet
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 07:14:33 PM »

Looks snazzy brent.
Now I believe there are software out there that handle much the same things but I imagine most are for $.
Collectorz make a product and I know there are others.

I know I'm wishing I had a spread sheet that lists all the scans on GAC at any time!

GL with the project!
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

brentp256

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 08:55:41 PM »

Thanks!  Yeah, I don't want to buy anything, and I love tinkering in Excel!  Plus, I've never seen one that does the visual look that I like (month by title by own or not).

If someone could make a list of everything scanned, I could add that to the spreadsheet (or make a separate tab in the same format)  I just don't have the time to type out the list.

I would like to see that too, an ongoing list of everything scanned, what type (c2c, fiche), and what is left to scan.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 01:21:22 AM »

I believe on app would access the GCD listing for title information.

You do know about the GCD right?
http://www.comics.org/

You might check this topic for valuable Reference Links -
http://tinyurl.com/68tfho

The Keltner Index is another must have for your project.
ip icon Logged

brentp256

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 05:07:00 AM »

Thanks for the info!  I'm rather new to the Golden Age (only been reading for a year), so I'll check these out!  What, though, is the Keltner index?
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 05:10:41 AM »

A PDF document listing the contents to a very large number of GA books by issue and date.
It is a preprocessor of the GCD site.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

brentp256

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 09:05:21 PM »

Looks snazzy brent.
Now I believe there are software out there that handle much the same things but I imagine most are for $.

I know I'm wishing I had a spread sheet that lists all the scans on GAC at any time!

GL with the project!
-Yoc

Looks snazzy brent.

GL with the project!
-Yoc

Thanks!

I've attached the latest version through 1937-ish.  I also have a tab (not attached) that shows all of the comics uploaded to the site, including date (for sorting).  It currently contains only the publishers through the dates I've done (1937).  It updates automatically through Excel based on calling data from the tables on the site.  The only thing I haven't figured out is when a new comic series is posted under a publisher...I haven't yet figured out how to automatically track that.

Update:  I cannot seem to add attachments at this time.  So if anyone is interested, please e-mail me at my screename above @gmail.com
ip icon Logged

brentp256

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 09:25:36 PM »

I uploaded it to Google Docs (ugly, but gets the idea across)

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AqN1CjeLnJQCdEFUR09LZ1VkS0N5MWR4S05iLTZQcEE&hl=en
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 11:15:39 PM »

Hi Brent,
I've fixed it so people can again upload attachments and avatars.
Could you try posting it here again.  I went to your link and got '....does not have permission to access this spreadsheet.'

-Yco
ip icon Logged

brentp256

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 12:54:14 AM »

Thanks!  I'll try again...

ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 04:32:02 AM »

Ah well, I don't have Exel, only MS Works so it's not opening for me.
But I loved the idea and perhaps it might be working into the site itself if we can get organized and someone more technically inclined than me works with you on it.  I know I'd love a quick way to always know what was on the site and preferably what format it was - ie fiche or paper - incomplete or not, things like that.

GL with the project!
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 05:18:36 AM »

Microsoft has a power point viewer for people without power point. They may have the same for word. If not you can always get openoffice.org
ip icon Logged

brentp256

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 06:07:59 AM »

To open it in Works, try this...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933428

(I haven't tried it, as I don't have Works).

I'll keep adding a company or so each week.  The nice thing, is it pulls all the data from the tables, so I can sort it by date added and number of downloads.  I wish each title had the publisher in the table, too, as that would make this 1000% more useful.

Thanks,

-Brent

ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 03:21:14 PM »

If OpenOffice is so enormous as to terrify you, you might also find this useful:

http://www.byedesign.co.uk/

It's not Open Source (if that matters to anybody), but it works well enough that it stands as the only freeware program that I felt the need to register to get rid of the nag screen.

(Edit:  Crap, I didn't look at the file.  It's the more modern Excel format.  On the one hand, that probably means OpenOffice is your only real choice.  But if you're feeling really ambitious, it's actually just a ZIP file with some XML documents.  It's not as pretty, but you can unzip it and get the data out of xl/worksheets/sheet1.xml.  For that, you might be able to find an XML table viewer of some sort, but I don't know of any that are free...which is odd, since they don't do much.)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 03:38:15 PM by John C »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.