in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 181 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

History of Comic Books

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: History of Comic Books  (Read 221 times)

Andrew999

message icon
History of Comic Books
« on: July 16, 2020, 06:03:58 AM »

This is a neat idea - a part works of 100 issues capturing the history of comic books. Odd that the first issue will be 1984 (though possibly symbolic).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/comicscene/comicscene-the-history-of-comics-1930-2030

Another example of how kickstarter can help our dreams come true (Robb - robots?)

- Float the idea first to see if you can raise the money
- If not, no one pays anything, no work is done, no one loses - but you have gained information on whether the market will sustain the idea
- If it floats, you already have the money so it's a guaranteed success
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: History of Comic Books
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 09:43:18 PM »

This is a neat idea - a part works of 100 issues capturing the history of comic books. Odd that the first issue will be 1984 (though possibly symbolic).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/comicscene/comicscene-the-history-of-comics-1930-2030

Another example of how kickstarter can help our dreams come true (Robb - robots?)

- Float the idea first to see if you can raise the money
- If not, no one pays anything, no work is done, no one loses - but you have gained information on whether the market will sustain the idea
- If it floats, you already have the money so it's a guaranteed success

Good to know about this as a possibility.  My robot project is set up in the format of a traditional book series (boos of 200-300 pages, with lots of engraving-style drawings (in the 1880s-1915 style).  The first book is already written, and 5 others are set up in detail, with chapter summaries, and a few full chapters already written.  I don't think I want to convert it into a comic book project, and have it come out first as a comic book series.  Also, my finishing artist partner has retired.  So, he won't be available for it.  But, it's something to consider, IF I can't get anyone interested in the book series.  I do want it to go to animation, either way.
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 04:43:39 AM »

Kickstarter (or other crowdfunders like Indiegogo) is not just for comic books but any type of project.

If you want to try this approach, I guess you would identify the cost for production and delivery first - add on whatever profit you wanted to make for work done - and then pitch that as the required total.

Once you've done that, advertise the project through as many different avenues as you can, keep pushing until the total is reached. Here are some tips:

https://www.kickstarter.com/how-it-works

https://www.geekwire.com/2015/9-tips-for-crushing-it-on-kickstarter/

This may not be what you want to do, of course, I only suggest it as an alternative
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 05:48:49 AM »

What am I thinking? If you've already written the first book, you can just self-publish through Amazon or similar.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.