in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 181 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

The Spirit

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: The Spirit  (Read 453 times)

Andrew999

message icon
The Spirit
« on: June 02, 2020, 07:31:11 AM »

Eightieth anniversary of The Spirit today - how are you going to celebrate?

The Spirit's first appearance was in a 16-page comic insert for the Register and Tribune Syndicate (according to Wikipedia). I confess I didn't come across him until the 1980s and then it was a case of tracking down every possible reprint from the past in whatever format that I could find.

There was a 1987 TV movie that I've never seen - has anyone else seen it? What did you think of it?

There was also the frankly disappointing 2008 movie, hampered by a Samuel L Jackson performance out of control and a bland Gabriel Macht - but like the curate's egg, it was good in parts. I liked Eva Mendes - a raw and spirited (sic) performance.

It would be great to see a TV series - that provides a broader canvas in which the characters can be explored more naturally.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
Re: The Spirit
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 01:22:59 PM »

There was a 1987 TV movie that I've never seen - has anyone else seen it? What did you think of it?

I enjoyed it. I haven't seen it rerun since though. I believe it was a pilot that didn't sell.

As a kid I had a friend who collected the Kitchen Sink reprints, so I tried reading them, but he just didn't grab me. A three-piece suit as a costume? No powers? Not even fancy gadgets? Not what I was reading comics for in those days.  ;)  I find the stories more interesting these days as my tastes have changed.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 03:18:07 AM »

There was also the frankly disappointing 2008 movie, hampered by a Samuel L Jackson performance out of control and a bland Gabriel Macht - but like the curate's egg, it was good in parts. I liked Eva Mendes - a raw and spirited (sic) performance. 
This was one where I read the reviews and wrote off the movie. The Octopus, in the strip, is only ever a pair of gloves.[Obviously referenced for the James Bond Villain Blofeld, and the Dr Solar villain Nuro] As soon as I saw that Samuel L Jackson was playing it, I wasn't interested. It's like Stallone - who I like in many movies but not all- Plalying Judge Dredd withour a facemask, because he's the star and must be seen. I've been disappointed enough by the newer Spirit renditions in the comic books [some of which are good but they don't effectively channel Will Eisner] to be hanging out waiting for a TV Spirit. Adaptions always become the Director's project so they are substantially changed. And now they have to be politically correct So Ellen would know Karate and be bi-sexual and Ebony would be an ex-gang member and a hacker eligible for a Nobel Prize. And the police chief would be corrupt. No thanks!   
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 02:22:43 PM »

I recently discovered The Spirit through the Fizzpop youtube channel and this great website. I've enjoyed reading!
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 11:16:22 AM »

A reprint of Pete Hamill's iconic interview from 1975 - well worth the admission:

https://www.villagevoice.com/2020/08/16/the-spirit-strikes-back/
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.