in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 181 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Captain Marvel

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Captain Marvel  (Read 632 times)

Andrew999

message icon
Captain Marvel
« on: June 08, 2020, 07:59:42 AM »

Today would have been the 110th birthday of CC Beck - the creator of Captain Marvel. He left us in 1989.

Captain Marvel was my first introduction to superhero comics. He was big in the UK (because of cheap reprints) and wasn't surpassed by Superman until the early sixties.

He's proved his durability by re-emerging in various forms (Marvelman, Miracleman, Captain Thunder (maybe), Shazam and I've probably missed some as I'm hopelessly confused) - even different sexes.

Even today, when no one is looking, I occasionally slide into a dark corner and shout aloud, 'Shazam!' You should try it - you'd be amazed at the effect it has.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Captain Marvel
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 12:30:11 PM »

Apart from  Captain Marvel you will find CC Beck in other places on CB+
We also have 'Fatman the human flying saucer' on the site.
Also Vic Verity.
Beck was a true original.
He wasn't a fan of what DC did with the Captain.       
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 12:25:02 PM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 10:40:34 AM »

The Big Red Cheese was popular in the U.K. but I don't remember ever seeing the reprints back then.  Of course they didn't last long before Marvelman took over.  But, like Andrew, I still have at the back of my mind that shouting, in my case, Kimota, will produce the atomik power to change me into MM.  Oddly, that's never happened. :o
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 11:36:39 AM »

Okay, I'm just about getting used to the idea that Captain Marvel is now called Shazam - and is not one of the other eight Captain Marvels - that's Roger Winkle, Mar-Vell, Monica Rambeau (aka Photon, Pulsar and Spectrum), Genis-Vell, Phyla-Vell, Noh-Varr, Khn-nr, Ms Marvel - not to mention Marvelman, Miracleman and Man of Miracles - nor is he related to Duanne Eddy.

But who is Sinbad - I don't mean to be unkind but am I supposed to know who he is? (other than the sailor man of course)?

https://www.polygon.com/2020/8/22/21397553/shazam-2-title-fury-of-the-gods-sinbad

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 12:48:10 PM »

No, I haven't a Scooby who Sinbad is, either.  But then, I know little about modern actors, celebs etc.
I should just mention that I haven't seen the Shazam movie.  At some point I might well have a look but the bloke that plays Cap looks like a right fly boy, not at all how The Big Red Cheese should appear.  He looks a bit of a chancer, imo.
Duane Eddy I do know and really like the sound he made.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 06:08:41 PM »

Sinbad was a stand-up comedian who went into TV in the early 1990s. He had his own show in 1990-1994 and did many guest shots and shows on Comedy Central. He was fairly popular though I never paid him much attention. I didn't know he was still around. Wikipedia has a rundown on his career, including his stint as one of California's Top 10 Tax Debtors in 2009.
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 10:16:41 AM »

Happy Birthday today to Otto Binder, who not only brought us the real Superman (that's Captain Marvel of course) but also Supergirl. You might also argue that Otto invented the concept of the super-family!

One of the most talented individuals in our field:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Binder

ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 12:03:42 PM »

Yes, happy birthday. :) In the 1970s, in Germany there was several S.F. Novels by an author named Eando Binder. I liked these novels and it wasn't until very much later, that I found out, that Eando Binder was actually two people, Earl and Otto Binder. ;D

Example: https://s12.directupload.net/images/200826/fcpghwrx.jpg
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 08:18:23 PM »

Otto Binder, who not only brought us the real Superman

Jerry Siegel might disagree with that.  ;)

One tidbit I found interesting about the Captain Marvel writers is that most (all?) didn't really like Captain Marvel, but loved Billy Batson. When I got the collection Showcase Presents Superman Family vol. 1, which has 18 issues worth of Jimmy Olson comics, I realized that Jimmy's comic was created to give Otto a place to use his Billy Batson ideas. Jimmy is Billy, Superman is the Big Red Cheese,and the Signal Watch is the Magic Word Shazam. The only difference from a Captain Marvel story is that Jimmy and Supes can actually talk to each other, unlike Billy and Captain Marvel.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 12:14:14 AM »

Binder had a pretty profound effect on the whole Superhero concept, particularly for DC comics. So imagine DC today if Captain Marvel had continued at Fawcett and Binder had never contributed to DC.   
Happy Birthday today to Otto Binder, who not only brought us the real Superman (that's Captain Marvel of course) but also Supergirl. You might also argue that Otto invented the concept of the super-family!

What else did Otto invent? Well he transferred a lot of the concepts he pioneered in Fawcett's Captain Marvel to the Superman mythos.
So we got the idea of families of Superheroes from Otto, He gave us Supergirl [ and horse and cat] [Superboy - Krypto] So,, Superpets! [Mr Tawney, etc] Bizarro, Brainiac and the Legion of Superheroes.And Superhero teamups. Most of which can trace a direct line back to the Big Red Cheese. Did he invent Kryptonite, I ask my self?
And I'm riffing now - The Fortress of Solitude? Superboy's Robots? Lana Lang?

During his tenure on the Superman titles, he co-created such characters and concepts as Supergirl, Brainiac, Kandor, Krypto, Streaky the Super-Cat, Beppo the Super-Monkey, Titano the Super-Ape, Lucy Lane, Jimmy Olsen's signal watch, the Imaginary Story, and the Legion of Super-Heroes. While the creation of Bizarro is somewhat contested, Binder certainly created the best-known version of him, as well as such elements as Bizarro World and the
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 12:54:09 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 05:16:23 AM »

He gave us Supergirl

I believe Mort Weisenger told Otto to create a character called Supergirl. Otto figured Mort knew he had created Mary Marvel, but didn't ask.

And Superhero teamups.

Before the Wizard meeting the Shield in the first issue of Shield-Wizard Comics? Other early superhero meetings being the Sub-Mariner vs. the Human Torch (Marvel Mystery Comics #8-10) and the first meeting of the Justice Society of America.(All-Star Comics #3).

Did he invent Kryptonite, I ask my self?   

Jerry Siegel wrote a story featuring K-metal that weakened Superman, but DC chose not to print it. Years later the radio show used kryptonite weaken Superman. Kryptonite later appeared in the comics.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.