in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 183 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Now That's Magic!

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Now That's Magic!  (Read 303 times)

Andrew999

message icon
Now That's Magic!
« on: September 24, 2020, 07:57:43 AM »

Who is the best comic book stage magician?

Some were based loosely on real-life magicians - Great Blackstone, Leon Mandrake, Harry Houdini, Thurston, Albini, Kellar and Alexander, the One Who Knows. (Not sure all of those were in strips) There may have been others - was Jasper Maskelyne ever captured in strip art? And what about Paul Daniels - I've a vague memory of seeing his gnomic features in a comic somewhere.

Then of course, there were those created especially for the comics - Dr Strange, Zatanna, Abra Kadabra, Hermann the Great, Lando. I think there was one just called The Magician and recently, there has been a series named The Magicians.

But which was the greatest of all? I think we should find out - or do you think the spell would be broken if we did?
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Now That's Magic!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 03:50:37 PM »

Replies to this thread should be written backward for maximum magical effect: ekil siht!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 04:35:13 PM »

ho, s'taht doog!
Didn't Paul Daniels appear in TV Comic? I remember a cover but it could have been a different comic.
As for the greatest, well, no doubt in my mind.  He gestures hypnotically:-

mind you, if only for these covers there's a case to be made for:-
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 12:33:35 AM »

Who is the best comic book stage magician?

If we limit the list to stage magicians we have a shorter list. Mandrake and Zatanna of course. There is Zatanna's Dad, Zatara and I haven't been able to locate him but I think she also has a brother, Zatara Juniour.
There are also many magicians on CB+ as that template seems as popular as Superman or Batman.
We have Blackstone the Magican, Chandu the Magician, Kid McBride, Magician Cowboy, Balbo the Boy Magician, Zanzibar the Magician, and Madge the Magician's Daughter [strip] and many more that don't come up when you do a search for 'Magician' We don't have Mandrake comics here but we do have episodes of the Radio program. Chandu was also a Radio Program. If we get on to 'Real Magicians' (who never worked on a a stage) that's a whole other ball game and includes a few from left field like Dr Doom, Constantine, the Scarlet Witch and Klarion the Witch Boy. To name a few.

Here is an interesting list
http://www.blastoffcomics.com/2013/10/the-top-10-magicians-in-comics/
1 to 5 are good choices but Shazam is a Wizard and the others are right out of left field.
One who pops up in comics all the time but never gets onto these lists and never had his own strip, is the daddy of them all, Merlin.
And here's 140 magician images, including many covers and many Zatanna images.
https://www.pinterest.com.au/davidgoode98/magiciansillusionists-and-escapologists/
And I was forgetting Michael Chabon's .'The Escapist
Obviously we can go on forever.
Cheers!   

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.