in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 183 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watchmen

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Watchmen  (Read 2015 times)

Andrew999

message icon
Watchmen
« on: June 29, 2020, 06:13:27 AM »

Anyone seen the Watchmen TV series? I haven't seen it yet.

I loved the 80s comic books with their Golden Age pastiche - and I even liked the 2012 movie (though I might have ended it differently).

Naturally, I'm a big fan of Moore & Gibbons - including the Kingsman series with its retro Bond style - but will I be disappointed if I watch the Watchmen TV series?
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Watchmen
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 11:37:03 AM »

Just reading about that TV series makes me refuse to watch it. Also the consistent disrespect shown to Alan Moore by every movie or publishing company that milks his work makes me shun it. 
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 10:38:49 AM »

I have to admit, that I haven't read the comics yet, I saw the 2009 film and was very impressed, luckily I had the opportunity, to see the Ultimate Cut, which was 215 minutes long.

I have the tv-series in my collection, but haven't seen it yet, sorry Andrew. :)

In the past, I always had a large pile of unread books, today it's a large pile of films and series, that I haven't seen yet, it's a hard life. ;D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 10:41:56 AM by Comickraut »
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 04:59:02 AM »

Watched a couple of the TV eps then just forgot it was ever on. Enough real racism in the world as it is, fantasy racism for entertainment value is not my bag.
The Tulsa riot and massacre was bad enough in real life, exaggerated claims from news stories, now long debunked, serve no one today.
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 10:05:16 AM »

Congrats to the Watchmen team on their Emmy Award. I still haven't seen it but I'm coming around to the idea.

What does Alan Moore say about the series - anyone know?

Meanwhile, the Wandavision trailer shown at the Emmies does look intriguing with its Bewitched vibe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj9J2ecsSpo

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 10:16:59 AM »

If Alan Moore is consistent, and he usually is, he won't say anything about it, but will make it known that he holds any work based on his work with contempt.
And so he should. And he has already made that abundantly clear.   
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 04:22:37 PM »

I raved about Watchmen when it came out and re-read and re-read it, then again in a collection.  I recently went back to it, but I couldn't take it this time round and found it difficult and hard going. I struggle to articulate why I didn't enjoy it all these years later and I now wonder if I was affected by trying to read some of Mr. Moore's more recent work, which I found quite nasty and gave the books away. 
My having no inclination to watch the tv show shouldn't be a surprise, as I seldom watch modern superhero shows, preferring some of the cartoons.
I have tried to read some other BIG comic events in recent weeks to see how they stacked up after some time and I found myself still in touch with, and enjoying, Planetary.  The other Ellis work, Authority, still appealed, albeit in a slightly lesser way than Planetary. Obviously the title went quickly downhill when Mr. Millar took over.
Another title which still resonates highly with me, unfortunately less well known, is Jack Staff by Paul Grist.  A very recent re-read was most enjoyable. 
But my biggest re-reading pleasure was New Frontier, which I have read a number of times, and it never fails to entertain.  The cartoon version is very good also.
I await the bricks bouncing off the back of my napper ::)
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 11:45:48 PM »

You and I are very much on the same page here.
I now wonder if I was affected by trying to read some of Mr. Moore's more recent work, which I found quite nasty and gave the books away.

Agreed. Nasty. Petty and Childish. Sad.   
Watchmen was a paradigm shift in comics, adult themes, brilliantly designed and constructed, memorable characters. But the basic plot is one that just doesn't work. You stop War by just subjecting the world to a huge atrocity. Has never worked up to now and never will. The World will come together to fight Aliens? Like everything Moore writes, it's swiped from somewhere else. I remember reading a Theodore Sturgeon story will the same plot written back in the 50's. I don't hold that against him. I am a huge admirer of Moore as a writer and influencer. But he is the epitome of a 'Postmodern' writer. He deconstructs everything. There is other work that I prefer. Top 10 I love, His work on Swamp Thing, the last Superman Story. And some of his work I just can't get into. I've never been able to stay with 'V for Vendetta' long enough to finish it. Same goes for 'From Hell
I have tried to read some other BIG comic events in recent weeks to see how they stacked up after some time

Unfortunately 'the big comic event disease' has now hit Dr Who. When they do this with characters and concepts they do irrevocable damage to the property.
'Time Lord Victorious' which I will read some of - Already read the Graphic Novel - has finally ruined Dr Who for me.
https://screenrant.com/doctor-who-lord-victorious-timeless-child-comic/
Doctor Who season 12 literally rewriting the show's history. Showrunner Chris Chibnall revealed the Doctor is not a Time Lord at all, but rather is the Timeless Child, a being who potentially originated from another universe - and who became the base genetic code for the entire Time Lord race.

This has been followed by "Time Lord Victorious," the biggest transmedia event in the history of Doctor Who. In this story, various incarnations of the Doctor have traveled back to the Dark Times, when the universe was young. This should be impossible, but somehow the time locks preventing TARDISes traveling back so far have failed, and now all history is in flux. The story of "Time Lord Victorious" runs across several different mediums, including comics, novels, and even a Dalek animated TV series to be released on YouTube.

Thanks but no thanks. Pure cynical marketing.
and I found myself still in touch with, and enjoying, Planetary.

Agreed -  excellent work.
Another title which still resonates highly with me, unfortunately less well known, is Jack Staff by Paul Grist.  A very recent re-read was most enjoyable. 
But my biggest re-reading pleasure was New Frontier, which I have read a number of times, and it never fails to entertain

Also agreed. I like Paul Grist's work very much.  And the New Frontier Animated Movie is one of DC's best if you haven't seen it.
So along the lines mentioned above.
If you like Darwin Cook's work [New Frontier] you should like Chris Samnee's work. His Run with Mark Waid on Black Widow is recommended. Now collected in hardback. And also influential.
https://meaww.com/black-widow-the-mark-waid-chris-samnee-comic-run-offer-clues-movie-plot-release
The Thor Miniseries he did with Roger Langridge is also wonderful.
But now two new recommendations.
First FirePower by Samne and Robert Kirkman.
https://www.facebook.com/theComicShopLiverpool/posts/3318579868198047
If I write about this I will do nothing but rave. So no spoilers. Find out for yourself!
Second Once and Future by  Kieron Gillen and Dan Mora.
http://www.boom-studios.com/series/oncefuture/
This is just lots of fun with British Mythology. Started with Arthur and currently the goodies are battling Beowulf and Grendel. And [Spoiler[ Grendel's mum just turned up!
explore the mysteries of the past, the complicated truths of our history and the power of family to save the day
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.