in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,472 books
 New: 226 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Our Friend Ken

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Our Friend Ken  (Read 133 times)

lrek

message icon
« on: November 26, 2020, 12:30:02 AM »

Different days indeed when comics were still seen as a viable way to educate adults.

Link to the book: Our Friend Ken
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 05:32:51 AM »

Like Irek I wondered what led the committee to decide to publish a comic book pushing Senator Keating. Martin Bursten was the Executive Director of "Friends of Keating." He had once worked in comics. His friend Joe Simon was still active in comics. I can picture a bull session in which one of the two says, "Say, I have a great idea--let's put out a comic book about Ken!" I'm sure they met with skepticism from the committee, but they pulled it off.

I've wondered about the target audience for sponsored comics like this. Did the Friends of Keating figure adults seeing the book would read it out of curiosity and get the message? Or did they think kids would read it  and be so impressed that they'd bug their parents to vote for Keating? The latter worked for kid-oriented products like BB guns and bicycles. But politics? Even if a kid made it all the way through one of those railway workers' union comics, was he likely to gush, "Gee, Dad, this comic is swell! You should join a railway workers' union!"

Then there's the possibility that the comic never did have an audience and the Friends of Keating wasted their money.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 06:17:51 AM »

Different days indeed when comics were still seen as a viable way to educate adults

Sorry to disagree, but there were several published this year, 2020. One on Obama and one on Biden, and one on another politician whose name escapes me. All Democrats, And I think there were others besides.

Back in the day, Dell published a Goldwater comic.
I suggest that this is a US phenomenon that occurs in Election Years.

Like Irek I wondered what led the committee to decide to publish a comic book pushing Senator Keating.

What I wonder, is who the publisher was. The uploaded comic has an ad for the friends of Senator Keating, but I can't see a publisher,.

In addition the 'Index card' is incorrect.

It lists - Title - About the United States and Publisher - About the United States,

'About the United States' is the name of the section of CB+ that the book has been filed in. But it's not a publisher, the section contains books from many publishers. 

The title should read 'Our Friend Ken

Cheers!

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.