in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 181 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

New Marvel 'British' comic

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: New Marvel 'British' comic  (Read 868 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
New Marvel 'British' comic
« on: December 04, 2020, 07:25:35 AM »

Well, the  New Marvel 'British' Superhero Team comic has just been published.

The Union

Its writtem by, of all people, Paul Grist
Penciled by Paul grist and Andrea De vito
Not recognizable at all as Paul Grist's usual style.

Here are the characters.   

Britannia [Female] [Captain America/Wonderwoman]
Union Jack
Well those two figure.
And then we have :- Wait for it! 
The Choir [female] - Welsh/  Voice power
Kelpie Female [Water powers] Scotland? [In Australia a kelpie is a dog. Just sayin.]
and
Snakes - Irish ? [Power unknown] [Maybe he just disappears things. Buy issue two to find out.
They are 'sponsored' by a businessman, ala Max Lord, who goes by Steve Darwin and is reminiscent of Richard Branson.
So, not the lineup as originally proposed. Maybe Paul Grist had a hand in those decisions. He's the reason I'd keep an eye on this title.

On-line comment
I mean, seriously: where's Wisdom? Where's Brian Braddock, Meggan, Dane Whitman, Death's Head, Faiza Hussain (wielder of Excalibur), Blade, hell, even Lionheart? I'm a long time Marvel geek and aside from Union Jack, I have no clue who any of these people are... and they haven't done a very good job of making me care about them, either.

Some of those characters are busy elsewhere in Marvel. If they series has legs, you would expect some of them to turn up in this comic eventually.

Comments?

ip icon Logged

Florian R. Guillon

message icon
Re: New Marvel 'British' comic
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 10:19:44 PM »

Pete Wisdom and the Braddocks are currently used in the X titles.
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 10:54:48 PM »

I got to page 16 and gave up.  I think they should be paying ?The Boys? creators a royalty. 
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 12:49:28 PM »

Holy mascarponi, it's all very unimaginative. 
As for Kelpies, these are they ;)
https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/The-Kelpie/
http://www.visitfalkirk.com/things-to-do/family-days-out/the-kelpies/

I've only read a review and seen a couple of pages.  That might be enough for me.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 07:56:25 PM »

Holy mascarponi, it's all very unimaginative. 
As for Kelpies, these are they ;)
https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/The-Kelpie/
http://www.visitfalkirk.com/things-to-do/family-days-out/the-kelpies/

I've only read a review and seen a couple of pages.  That might be enough for me.

I prefer the myth of the Selkie.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selkie

I'm of the opinion that most myths have a root in real life events.
The female Selkie shedding her seal skin and becoming a land dweller and wife to a human may be an allusion to northern sea folk, perhaps Eskimo or Norse. Seal skin cloaks were common wear of Norsemen during the time of Beowulf, later wool cloaks became preferred. Seal skin was about the only material the Eskimo had available, at least for those who spent almost all their time hunting on the ice cap or at sea.
If you read Beowulf closely the description of Grendel's mother as an old Sea Wolf would suggest she was a polar bear. The Norse and early dwellers in Britain considered bears to be a form of wolf. Beowulf in fact means "Bee Bear" or Honey Bear.
Beowulf may be in part based on a Norse hunter's tale of dealing with a rampaging Polar Bear. In the 70's sunken fortresses that match the description of the lair of Grendel and his mother began to be found as water levels dropped in lakes in that region.

I suspect the legends of Were Wolves could be based on the Norse and Germanic tradition of Outlawry of those who had slain another of their people and could not or would not pay the "weregild" settlement to the family of the deceased. The outlaw was declared a "Wolf's Head" and any man could kill him on sight without legal consequences.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 03:40:56 AM »

Captain Audio,

I'm of the opinion that most myths have a root in real life events.
I like your thinking.
Thank you for a very informative post.

NB, if we apply that thinking to all myths and legends, and I think we should, we can end up with some very controversial conclusions.

We should never imagine that our ancestors were more ignorant and stupid than we are today. But they did lack the framework to understand and explain things,  that we have now.

Cheers!   
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 09:09:46 AM »

Captain, just as long as you're not suggesting the Scots legend is wrong. ;) In Scots lore, that is what a Kelpie is.  It's one of our myths/legends.
In the Arthur Askey film, Back Room Boy, the Kelpie on the island is depicted as a female siren, luring boats/sailors to their doom.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 09:42:24 AM by paw broon »
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 09:36:18 AM »

The same is true in Cornwall - the original rather fearsome water horse, a huge sea snake in effect, has become mollified into a mermaid (Lenora) off the coast enticing fishermen.

We know little of the oceans, surprisingly, and sightings of sea snakes are relatively common. Here are some chosen at random:

In 1846 Captain Christmas of the Danish Navy reported sighting "an enormous, long-necked beast pursuing a school of dolphins" somewhere between Iceland and the Faroe Islands. He described the creature as having a horse-like head and a neck as thick as a man's waist "moving gracefully like a swan's".
On 6 August 1848 an officer of the Royal Navy corvette HMS Daedalus noticed an unusual looking animal swimming towards the ship. It was said to look similar to a sea serpent with a 1.2-metre-long (4 ft) neck. Its head was about 38 or 41 cm (15 or 16 in) long. It was reported to have no visible fins/flippers or tail, and it had what appeared to be a horsy mane on its neck with seaweed washed over its back.
In late 1883, two horse-headed beasts, one of them smaller than the other (suggesting or implying a juvenile), were reported off the southern coast of Panama. The crew of the American whaler Hope On reported seeing a 6-metre-long (20 ft) creature submerge. It was brownish coloured with black speckles and four legs/flippers with a tail "that seemed to be divided into two parts" (implying the whale-like tail appearance) and all four limbs and tail were exposed when it reached the surface. A second creature that looked just like it only much smaller tagged along behind it. In the same year, a sighting of a similar looking creature occurred in the Bristol Channel. This creature was reported as leaving behind a greasy slug/snail-like trail.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 10:03:09 PM »

Captain, just as long as you're not suggesting the Scots legend is wrong. ;) In Scots lore, that is what a Kelpie is.  It's one of our myths/legends.
In the Arthur Askey film, Back Room Boy, the Kelpie on the island is depicted as a female siren, luring boats/sailors to their doom.

Kelpie, Selkie and Mer Folk are all separate mostly unrelated creatures of myth. They are all shape shifters but with very different motivations, strengths and weaknesses.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 05:14:22 PM »

I knew something was annoying me.  Kelpie was an ongoing strip in Wham, around '65.  Kelpie The Boy Wizard was drawn by John Burns.
http://lewstringer.blogspot.com/2015/12/the-new-year-wham-1965.html
Original, eh?
You'd have thought Marvel might have checked.  I assume they weren't bothered.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2020, 04:11:00 AM »

Doesn't look too bad. Do you know if there is a collection somewhere?

Cheers1
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.