in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Love & Marriage

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Love & Marriage  (Read 407 times)

Andrew999

message icon
Love & Marriage
« on: March 30, 2021, 05:51:51 PM »

Now that Clark is happily married to Lois - and of course the Phantom is married to Diana and Wanda is married to Vision, what other examples of marriage amongst heroes from the Golden Age can we recall?

Was Tarzan married to Jane, I can't remember - or were they living in sin (as we used to say in Britain - I always rather liked the sound of that - living in sin)

And what about divorce - any examples of Golden Age couples getting divorced?
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
Re: Love & Marriage
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 05:06:22 AM »

Given that Tarzan (Lord Greystoke) and Jane (Lady Greystoke) spent time in England raising their son they probably were married.

Wanda and the Vision are Silver Age characters, not Golden.

When DC reintroduced the Earth-2 characters it was revealed that a number of heroes had married; Flash married Joan, Hawkman was married to Hawkgirl, Superman married Lois, Batman married Catwoman, Green Lantern married Harlequin, Wonder Woman married Steve Travor, Dr. Fate had married his girlfriend (Inga?), Black Canary married Larry Lance, etc., etc.

Over at Marvel the Blonde Phantom was revealed to have married the detective she helped out.
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 07:16:50 AM »

Thanks for all that information about the changes at DC - it's been decades since I bought a DC comic.

Batman married Catwoman? That sounds bonkers - that immediately destroys the pushme-pullyou tension in their relationship that was always such a feature in the 60s.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 10:17:18 AM »

The (wonderful) Web - my adjective cos he's a nuts hero.  Also, his wife takes up the Web costume in an adventure during the Mighty Heroes era.
In French comics (1946) Fantax was married and in #3, his wife, Patricia dons a similar costume and mask.  Great stuff.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 04:56:50 AM »

Thanks for all that information about the changes at DC - it's been decades since I bought a DC comic.

You're welcome.

Batman married Catwoman?

The Golden Age Earth 2 versions married. It was revealed in the origin for then new hero The Huntress (Helena Wayne) in DC Super-Stars #17 in the 1970s.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.