in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Ecomic Metadata

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Ecomic Metadata  (Read 3657 times)

Nyarlathotep

message icon
Ecomic Metadata
« on: July 09, 2010, 01:14:05 PM »

I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the inclusion of comic metadata with ecomic files.  There doesn't seem to be any standard way built into the cbz or cbr format (they're just archives), though I see there are naming conventions in the FAQ.  It's looking like each reader has it's own method.  The one I'm familiar, ComicRack, uses a Comicinfo.xml file (among other methods) to store the metadata.

I'm wondering if it would be useful to include such metadata files in submitted ecomics, or whether it might be considered objectionable.  Would scanners be interested in doing so, perhaps with the help of a tool to easily generate them for multiple readers?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Ecomic Metadata
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 03:06:00 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean.  Do you mean data on things like artists, etc.?  Many scans have those included as text or image files.
ip icon Logged

Nyarlathotep

message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 06:18:31 PM »

Yes, that's basically what I mean.  Info on the Publisher, Year, Month, Title, Number, etc.  More specifically though, in a machine readable form that the ecomic reader expects.  For a ComicRack example, if a ecomic came preloaded with a Comicinfo.xml, the reader would know the correct values off all those things, instead of guessing from the filename (which I often have to correct or add to).  I'm unfortunately not yet familiar with other readers to know how or if something similar would be possible.

Edit: Hmm, it looks like the reader I use might be in the minority.  I've just tried out CDisplay, PixelComic, and CBreader and none of them seem to have much in the way of an organizer in them, where this info would be most useful.  Only PixelComic seems to support a meta file, but it looks like it doesn't get along with other text files in the archive.  Unfortunately at the moment I'm not in a position to try out Linux or MacOS readers.   Guess that this sort of thing wouldn't be terribly useful for most of the comic readers commonly used.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 06:41:55 PM by Nyarlathotep »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 03:35:23 AM »

Janus is working on bringing in our very own comic reader soon. PM him with any suggestions
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.