in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,498 books
 New: 209 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Mysterious Adventures 08

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Mysterious Adventures 08  (Read 173 times)

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Mysterious Adventures 08
« on: July 19, 2021, 01:30:03 AM »

That first story is pretty disgusting. Looking at the fiddling with the dialogue I've concluded that an unimaginative editor felt his audience was too dumb to understand the story.

"Look at the last page here. So is this guy Timkin dead or what?"

"JB, the monster just bit Timkin in the neck and he's lying lifeless on the floor. Of course he's dead!"

"I dunno...we'd better put in a caption saying he's dead. Now, this guy in panel 5. That's Bart, right? Did he, like, come back from the dead or something?"

"It's Pam's imagination. It's symbolic, you know. See, in the dialogue she says she thinks she hears Bart laughing."

"I dunno...we better put in a caption telling us she's seeing his ghost. And give him some dialogue, too, to tell her she deserves all this."

"(Sigh) All right, JB..."

"One more thing. The splash panel. Someone should be saying the monster is coming from this guy's eye."

"But JB, if we tell them the monster is coming from his eye, we're giving away the shock gimmick in the first panel!"

"I dunno...the kids might think the monster's flying through the air or something. Have the girl say, 'Look, it's coming from his eye.'"

"(Deeper sigh) All right, JB. All right."

The one thing I can't figure out is the bit about changing the caption to place the story during WWII when the Soviet Union was America's ally. It adds unnecessary complexity to the story. By 1952 comics readers all agreed the Commies were villains. It'd have been simpler to have Pam talk Bart into betraying his country and leave it at that.

Link to the book: Mysterious Adventures 08
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.