in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 185 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Free Comic Book Day 2010

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Free Comic Book Day 2010  (Read 2990 times)

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Free Comic Book Day 2010
« on: April 29, 2010, 05:45:10 PM »

Free Comic Book Day 2010 is quickly approaching and the action happens on Saturday, May 1st!

"Free Comic Book Day is a single day - the first Saturday in May each year - when participating comic book shops across North America and around the world give away comic books absolutely FREE* to anyone who comes into their stores. *Check with your local shop for their participation and rules."

For more details, visit: http://www.freecomicbookday.com/

B.  ;D
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Free Comic Book Day 2010
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »

I'm after the magnus/doc solar book
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 03:30:06 PM »

Bump'n this up to remind folks that the big dance is tomorrow! Free Comic Book Day 2010! I will be up early and out the door to grab my swag!

I will even post about what I found and I hope that some of you will do the same.

Sleep well tonight, for tomorrow our version of 'Black Friday' begins!  ;D ;D ;D

B.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 05:28:50 PM »

A quick list of my Free Comic Book Day swag! (FCBD)

YOW! Drawn & Quartertly Presents A "John Stanley Library" Grab-Bag  (Of interest to Tubby & Nancy fans!)

Green Hornet #1 FCBD Edition  (Filled with previews of the various books!)

Doctor Solar, Man of the Atom & Magnus Robot Fighter (Stories by Jim Shooter!!!)

I will of course report back in later after reading....but we want to hear what the rest of you picked up and read also.

Happy Free Comic Book Day!  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 05:47:11 PM by boox909 »
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 04:03:58 AM »

YOW! Drawn & Quartertly Presents A "John Stanley Library" Grab-Bag  (Of interest to Tubby & Nancy fans!)

Nice material. Sure to please and amuse. Yes, I used to read Nancy as a kid!  ;D

Green Hornet #1 FCBD Edition  (Filled with previews of the various books!)

It is what it is. I am looking forward to the reprinting of the Golden Age adventures instead.

Doctor Solar, Man of the Atom & Magnus Robot Fighter (Stories by Jim Shooter!!!)

I really enjoyed this! My only criticism is toward Jim Shooter's constant referencing of The Matrix film to explain what Solar does. Why?!!! Solar was doing this stuff way before those films; Doctor Solar doesn't need Neo to work, imho.  However, this is still a good short tale and worth reading. Shooter does a much better job on Magnus! This was like reading a true golden age comics adventure -- I kid you not. Do what you can to get your hands on this particular comic.

B.  :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 04:06:07 AM by boox909 »
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 05:54:26 PM »

If you missed this event, and live in the Spokane, WA area,  John at MERLYN'S is letting people pick up freebies today as well. It was so difficult to get downtown with the streets being blocked off for the Bloomsday run that it was decided to give fans a second chance. Thanks John! I picked up Solar and Rip Kirby for myself and Owly, Lulu for the granddaughters. (Also picked up Green Hornet, but put it back after thumbing through it- not my cup of tea.) Cheers, Jeff
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 06:14:25 PM »

If you missed this event, and live in the Spokane, WA area,  John at MERLYN'S is letting people pick up freebies today as well. It was so difficult to get downtown with the streets being blocked off for the Bloomsday run that it was decided to give fans a second chance. Thanks John! I picked up Solar and Rip Kirby for myself and Owly, Lulu for the granddaughters. (Also picked up Green Hornet, but put it back after thumbing through it- not my cup of tea.) Cheers, Jeff

Makes me wish that I lived in Spokane! I did not see the Rip Kirby book...but I'll hunt it down. Thanks!

B.  ;D
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 06:54:09 PM »

By Rip Kirby are you referring to IDW's Library of American Comics with a variety of stips?  My shop owner set it back for me, along with Green Hornet, Del Rey Showcase, and Fractured Fables  ;D I also picked up GI Joe, Toy Story, Shrek, Bongo and Mouse Guard/Fraggle Rock and DC Kids
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 07:16:55 PM »

Yep, that's the one Narf. Cheers, Jeff
ip icon Logged

CharlieRock

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 03:36:28 PM »

There was an issue featuring the updated Green Hornet at my store.  ;D
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.