in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 181 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Golden-Age Comic Book Scripts Wanted

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Golden-Age Comic Book Scripts Wanted  (Read 1092 times)

The Ghost Man

message icon
Golden-Age Comic Book Scripts Wanted
« on: September 07, 2020, 09:21:09 PM »

Greetings all, just reaching out to the CBP community to see if anyone knows where I might find scripts the artists used in the Golden-Age to create comics from. I've looked all over and so far haven't turned up anything. I'm hoping that a few exist and weren't just rubbished because they weren't considered of any value.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Golden-Age Comic Book Scripts Wanted
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 10:13:39 PM »

About physical copies of old scripts, I don't know. But a few places online have examples of GA scripting. Here's an interesting 1947 article about writing comics that Stan Lee (who?) sold to Writer's Digest. It includes a page from a Blonde Phantom story by Al Sulman along with Syd Shores' finished artwork.

https://www.writersdigest.com/be-inspired/stan-lee-1947-guide-to-writing-and-selling-comics
ip icon Logged

The Ghost Man

message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 11:05:11 PM »

Thanks Crashryan, this is a great start. To clarify I'm not a collector so I'm just seeking a few sources preferably online for now. However, if a physical version with good content came up, I wouldn't reject it out of hand. If there were any digitized that were used during the seminal Marvel reconstruction in the 60's they'd be cool as well.

I'm pulling this together for both research into my personal vintage comic reformation project as well as making it available to other like-minded content creators at my artists academy blogsite.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 01:34:39 AM »

Here's another snippet. It's a (heavily-edited) script page and the corresponding art from a late-1940s Tomahawk comic. I don't know where this material originally came from. This reprint came from one of George Henderson's fanzines of the early 70s.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/535013630738754201/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/535013630738754204/
ip icon Logged

The Ghost Man

message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 10:49:06 PM »

Thanks for seeking those out crashryan, those were helpful.
ip icon Logged

The Ghost Man

message icon
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 09:26:39 PM »

My outstanding news of the day! Today I was able to secure a Holy Grail in the form of a 5 page script by Gardner Fox for the 1939 issue of Detective Comics #30 "The Return of Doctor Death". Positively over the moon at just uncovering this after so many years of searching for Golden-Age scripts. I'll be happily adding it to the TVIA Library soon.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

message icon
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 07:56:43 PM »

That's amazing news!
Congrats on the find GM.  :D
ip icon Logged

BoldVenturePress

message icon
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 07:47:10 PM »

Most of these scripts probably got trashed or burned after publication. New York City winters can be rough, so scripts made good kindle.

Allen Bellman recalled inking Mickey Spillane's first "Jap-Buster Johnson" story. He shook excess ink off the brush and onto the script. He told me if he had any idea how famous Spillane would become, he would have saved the script.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.