in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 183 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

African-American comic book artists.

Pages: 1 [2]

topic icon Author Topic: African-American comic book artists.  (Read 2769 times)

mopee167

message icon
Re: African-American comic book artists.
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2021, 01:30:26 PM »

This is important information, proving not only that there was a Howard James working at Timely, circa 1942-1942, but that he was not Ernie Hart, as Who's Who seems to suggest:

http://www.bailsprojects.com/whoswho.aspx?mode=AtoZsearch&id=JAMES%2c+HOWARD
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2021, 07:00:00 PM »

This is important information, proving not only that there was a Howard James working at Timely, circa 1942-1942, but that he was not Ernie Hart, as Who's Who seems to suggest:

http://www.bailsprojects.com/whoswho.aspx?mode=AtoZsearch&id=JAMES%2c+HOWARD

The GCD bio just got updated as well. Makes me wonder how often Bails and the others took World War II draft cards into account when filing out personal info about comic creators. I recall that the 1940 census reports filed out race as well and are publicly available to some extent.

ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2021, 08:02:26 PM »

When Bails was compiling the Who's Who documentation like draft cards was not accessible to the general public. It was technically openly available but to get to it you had to personally visit an archive (usually in Washington, D.C.) and dig through physical records. It's amazing how the Internet has revolutionized research.
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2021, 08:56:17 PM »

When Bails was compiling the Who's Who documentation like draft cards was not accessible to the general public. It was technically openly available but to get to it you had to personally visit an archive (usually in Washington, D.C.) and dig through physical records. It's amazing how the Internet has revolutionized research.

Indeed. We?re probably now at the point researchers can find out quite a bit more about otherwise obscure comic creators from back then with just the right search engines. Well, along with some paywall subscriptions, but beside the point.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2021, 11:03:09 PM »

On the Ancestry site Fold3, there are a host of World War II registration cards, one of which belongs to a *Howard James* of Timely Comics, and identifies himself as *Negro.* Couldnt see much beyond that due to membership registration though.

https://www.fold3.com/search?keywords=Timely+Comics&full-name~=Howard+James

Thanks for posting this link. I found my Dad's registration card in less than a minute.
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2021, 11:35:26 PM »

On the Ancestry site Fold3, there are a host of World War II registration cards, one of which belongs to a *Howard James* of Timely Comics, and identifies himself as *Negro.* Couldnt see much beyond that due to membership registration though.

https://www.fold3.com/search?keywords=Timely+Comics&full-name~=Howard+James

Thanks for posting this link. I found my Dad's registration card in less than a minute.

You?re welcome!
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2021, 08:18:01 PM »

Alex Jay has a bit more information on Howard James here:

http://alphabettenthletter.blogspot.com/2021/02/comics-
howard-james-black-comics-artist.html

ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2021, 07:51:39 PM »

Back on Page 1 of this thread I raised some doubts about Owen Middleton being on this list. Now, having had
a chance to read Ken Quattro?s book, I withdraw my objection. The chapter on Mr. Middleton is short, like his comic book career, but very informative.

I did not know that New York had a three-strikes law before Nelson Rockefeller.

BTW, I highly recommend Ken Quattro?s INVISIBLE MEN book. Very well researched.

Wasn?t Walter Earl Davoren also African-American/Negro???
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2021, 10:36:31 PM »

I did not know that New York had a three-strikes law before Nelson Rockefeller.

Growing up I was familiar with the phrase "three-time loser" which popped up in crime shows and movies. A crook would dread being caught a third time because that meant he'd be sent up for life. I have no idea which states had these laws but they must have been common enough that writers assumed viewers understood the concept.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.