in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Looking for jobs in comics

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Looking for jobs in comics  (Read 943 times)

hqbrum

message icon
Looking for jobs in comics
« on: August 06, 2021, 12:12:32 AM »

Hi, I work with children book illustration for several years now, but am trying to migrate to Comics, wich is my true passion.  I work with 'animated' or 'cartoon style, can work on pencil/ink/colors.

I'm sending a couple links below, if you have a comics project needing an artist I'd love to hear about.
My Portfolio with book illustration
https://hqbrum.wixsite.com/website
My new blog for Comics work
https://hqbrumcomics.blogspot.com/
My e-mail
hqbrum@hotmail.com
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 01:24:27 AM by hqbrum »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Looking for jobs in comics
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 12:24:13 AM »

hqbrum, If that's your work, you have talent. You may get replies from interested parties.

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

hqbrum

message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 12:42:10 PM »

Will be posting some Golden Age heroes on my blog - https://hqbrumcomics.blogspot.com/
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 01:34:11 PM »

Nice!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 02:32:19 PM »

Nice one hq. A seriously obscure hero.  Well done
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 05:10:43 PM »

Hi hqbrum,
You draw very well.  I'm sure you could get some comic book work.  But, traditionally, children's book illustrations earns a LOT more money, and comic book artists usually just draw comic books for love of doing it, but have to derive their main income from illustration and animation work.  So, if you are looking for a little comic book sidework to feed your Soul's yearning, rather than earn a full-time living from it, I'm sure you will get some of that work you seek.
ip icon Logged

hqbrum

message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2021, 06:45:27 PM »

Thank you all for the coments.
Robb thank you for the feedback, yes, as I work as freelancer I'm just looking for different projects, but wouldn't stop the children's and educational books I work with. We have to do it all indeed. Best wishes!
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2021, 07:32:13 PM »

Thank you all for the coments.
Robb thank you for the feedback, yes, as I work as freelancer I'm just looking for different projects, but wouldn't stop the children's and educational books I work with. We have to do it all indeed. Best wishes!

Those Walt Kelly drawings which you inked are fantastic!  I don't seem to have ever seen the original pencils of those.  Did you photocopy or digitally copy Walt's final pencils or pencil sketches?

I inked over some of Carl Barks' blue pencil sketches of rejected or cancelled stories, just to see what they would have looked like if he had finished them.  Yours look so much like Kelly's finished work that most people would have guessed HE had inked them.
ip icon Logged

hqbrum

message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2021, 01:57:41 AM »

on one inking class my teacher hand me the art in light blue so I could practice, but I think it was final artwork already so I can't take much credit...but indeed would be more fun to get a loose sketch without the line weights...

On the blog I also posted some pages of Casper's gang, I did as a submission to American Mithology when I saw they were publishing Harvey comics.

I'm also working on a book based on a Walt Kelly's story now. Turning a comic into a children's book. But this time I'm only using the plot and illustrating in my style, I'll post here when finished.

And let me know where I can see your inking on Barks!
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2021, 04:18:40 PM »

And let me know where I can see your inking on Barks!   

I'm sure it's okay to post a half page here:

This was the first half page of Carl's "The Pied Piper of Duckburg", which he wrote and started drawing for his 1959 first Gyro Gearloose Dell Four Color Series one-shot comic book.  He had finished sketching the first 3 pages in non-photo blue pencil, and realised that he would be spending wayyyyyyy too much time and effort, drawing hundreds of rats in the background of the panels of the 8-page story.  So, he shelved the story, and substituted another one he quickly wrote.  I wanted to see how it would look if Carl had finished it (inked it), and it would have been printed.  Don Rosa finished the 3 pages by inking them in his own 1970s US Underground style, and also wrote his own version of the rest of that story (making it very different from what Barks would have done).  Years later, Daan Jippes wrote and drew his own version, inking over the 3 Barks pages, and finishing it in his own style, but a LOT closer to Barks' style than Rosa's.

I have sent the remaining half pages of my inks of Barks' 3 pages to your CB+ "My Messages" box.

Keep in mind that I am a penciler and storyboard sketcher, but I never spent much time working on my inking technique, so my line thickness and inking dynamics is rather weak.  But, even so, my finished artwork on these pages looks a LOT more like Barks than Rosa's (which looks more like Robert Crumb inked his, and for that matter, makes it look like Crumb had drawn the pencil lines, as well!) ::)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 06:24:40 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.