in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 185 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Robotmen of the Lost Planet?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Robotmen of the Lost Planet?  (Read 1011 times)

Kevin Yong

• VIP
message icon
Robotmen of the Lost Planet?
« on: August 11, 2010, 11:34:07 PM »

I recently finished reading Avon's "Robotmen of the Lost Planet" and (once I got past the inherently silly-looking robots) found it to be a decent sci-fi tale with a clearly structured beginning, middle and end.

I had a few questions about the book, if anyone happens to know:

1. Were book-length standalone stories like this common? Most of the other science fiction GA titles I've seen have seemed to be ongoing serials or anthologies of short stories (but I confess I've barely scratched the surface of available titles on the site.)

2. Does anyone know what the story is behind the "Robotmen" design? It's driving me crazy! Their heads seem to bear a close resemblance to some sort of rubber squeak toy I've seen before. Was the toy patterned after this comic? Was this comic a deliberate early attempt at toy product placement? Is it some bizarre coincidence? (In which case, I have to wonder about the artist who would come up with such a downright strange design for an otherwise threatening army of world-conquering robots.)

Thanks for any answers you can share.  :)

-- Kevin
ip icon Logged

CharlieRock

• VIP
message icon
Re: Robotmen of the Lost Planet?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 11:48:29 PM »

Hmm, I like sci-fi comics and haven't gotten to this one yet. I'll have to look it up.
ip icon Logged

Poztron

• VIP
message icon
Re: Robotmen of the Lost Planet?
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 05:45:39 AM »

I figure there has to be a link between the squeeze toy and the comic, but I have no idea which came first, the chicken or the egg. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the artist patterned the robotmen after the squeeze toy in much the same way that an artist might pattern a character after, say, a rubber ducky. Hmm....Howard the Duck...do you think that maybe...?  Nah....  :P
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.