in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Hello fellow comic fans

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Hello fellow comic fans  (Read 929 times)

edverrilla

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: edverrilla
message icon
Hello fellow comic fans
« on: July 28, 2010, 07:07:40 AM »

I am a big fan of will eisner and have some of his original sunday sections and some quality comic books. i am 49 and i am from pittsburgh. i hope to get to download soon. thanks for the site. also a big fan of plastic man. jack cole was born an hour north of where i live. he is buried there in new castle, pa.   
ip icon Logged

Menticide

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Hello fellow comic fans
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 08:40:53 AM »

I am a big fan of will eisner and have some of his original sunday sections and some quality comic books. i am 49 and i am from pittsburgh. i hope to get to download soon. thanks for the site. also a big fan of plastic man. jack cole was born an hour north of where i live. he is buried there in new castle, pa.   

I too am a huge Eisner fan and I have a wonderful memory about how I became a huge fan. When I was a kid, I worked, for store credit only, at a comic shop. This was before I was even a teenager, I was paid strictly in store credit, and I was perfectly happy with the situation at the time. In fact, after I'd moved away from that town, and then returned to go to college, I discovered that I still had several hundred dollars left in my credit account at the store.

One day, I bought a small stack of Spirit re-prints from the store, and I must have stayed up all-night reading them. Suffice to say, I was hooked. I came into work the next day and told the owner how much I loved the Spirit now and he smiled, nodded, and walked out of the store for a moment. When he returned, he had a trapper keeper in his hand that was nearly bursting at the seams. He told me, 'you can borrow this, but I want back, in the same condition that I gave it to you'. He handed me this trapper keeper, I was confused, until I opened it. It was comprised of a ton of original Spirit inserts collected in this notebook, with carefully measured paper-punch holes to place it in the trapper keeper, it turns out that the shop owner was collecting these inserts through-out his childhood, and had no idea how valuable they would become.

Nice eh? One of the coolest memories I can think of...

By the way, yes, I was tempted to keep the notebook, not show up again for work, and forget that I'd ever met the owner of the shop. But, I decided that it was probably not a good idea, and he was such a nice guy that I realized I could never pull such a stunt against him, so, I didn't do it, and things actually worked out even better than they could have if I'd pulled off such an ugly stunt. But, that's another story, and it's kind of a long one.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 10:55:24 AM »

Well guys glad to have you aboard and you are set to download. Ed I am originally from New Florence around Johnstown, PA now a TN.

Great story Ment now you have to finish it. I had a friend in the Army who was not a comic collector but had a comic someone gave him. It was Adv 247 and I got to read it but had to give it back.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 11:31:10 PM »

Welcome to the forum. If you want to see some classic Eisner work, take a look at his Espionage: Black X (or Black Ace depending on the issue) in early issues of Quality's Smash Comics.

B.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.