in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 181 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

RANT: Why do Crowdfunding Comics show no interior pages at all?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: RANT: Why do Crowdfunding Comics show no interior pages at all?  (Read 331 times)

Rintintin

I've been reading comics since I was born and I will never understand comic book fans. :/

I seriously don't give a **** who is doing cover or what the creator's personal life is, I just want to sample a comic....

And also why do the "rebellious" comic websites are all fixated on complaining about Batman Superman Star Wars. zzzzzz  They don't even seem to write about indies.
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
Re: RANT: Why do Crowdfunding Comics show no interior pages at all?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 11:57:52 AM »

Some of them do show preview pages. I've backed several with preview pages.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 04:44:52 PM »

As I don't understand, use nor have backed a crowdfunding "thing", I'm not really qualified to comment.  However, I will say that one of my pet hates is a cover on a comic, beautifully/powerfully drawn, either by a "big name" or talented not-so-well-known artist, thinking, "that's tasty", opening the book and to discover it's Paul Reinman or similar inside.  I think early Dynamite titles were responsible for some examples of this. Might be different nowadays but I try to avoid Dynamite after what they did with The Phantom and The Black Terror!!! A sword and a big boat for goodness sake!!!
For me, as with actors, same with comic creators. I'm not that interested in their private lives.  It's the work that I want to see.
I understand why many people complain about many current comics.  But then, I'm old, grumpy and a fan of newsprint comics.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 01:02:18 AM »

And also why do the "rebellious" comic websites are all fixated on complaining about Batman Superman Star Wars. zzzzzz  They don't even seem to write about indies. 

Many websites are set up by fans of the big franchises - including Star Trek. Many of these are practically religious about their franchise (s) of choice. Since the general consensus from fans is that most of those franchises are being disastrously managed, its not surprising that they spend a lot of time complaining.
If you have the time and the inclination, you could set up an alternative blog yourself.
Unfortunately far too many of the indie comics I see are poor clones of the 'Big Two' 
You could also look at European comics - particularly french - which are a whole different ballgame. Many are now available in English translations.
Then there are Japanese comics, TV shoes and movies. I can tell you the movies and TV shows are mostly much better than the western equivalents.
Happy Surfing!

cheers.   
ip icon Logged

Rintintin

message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 04:00:38 AM »

I think early Dynamite titles were responsible for some examples of this.

I know right. Imprints like Vertigo and Dynamite abused this so much they ceased to exist for me a long time ago. I think I hated Vertigo the most because the painted cover art was creative with the colors and then the interior colors was boring as can be, no style palette when they could've just told the colorist to stick with the colors of the cover and keep all the colors flat to save time and money.
ip icon Logged

Rintintin

message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2023, 04:04:02 AM »

If you have the time and the inclination, you could set up an alternative blog yourself.

Except it would be a waste of time because I feel it's reflective of the entire consumer base. They just don't care unless it has Batman in it.

Ah! I wanted to delete this topic, but thanks to all who replied, it kind of makes me happy to have a pep talk about it.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.