in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Forgotten superhero I'm trying to remember

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Forgotten superhero I'm trying to remember  (Read 312 times)

FraBig

message icon
Forgotten superhero I'm trying to remember
« on: January 11, 2024, 10:18:01 AM »

Hello everyone, and happy new year!

It's been a few weeks I'm desperately trying  to remember a character I've seen somewhere in a public domain comic on this site, but I really couldn't get any help from the Google searches I've made.
He's a superhero, with a red costume (I can't remember if he wears a mask) and he has the ability to become intangible, almost like a ghost or an astral projection, when he uses a machine of his creation. Beware, this is probably a single appearance character, or at least he had very very limited appearances. He's from the early Golden Age, let's say from 1940 to 1942.
The image I have in mind is this character chasing after a train or something similar. I could swear I've seen this character somewhere, but I can't really recall his name nor Google has been of any help.

Thanks for the help! :D
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
Re: Forgotten superhero I'm trying to remember
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 03:29:10 AM »

He's a superhero, with a red costume

Well, that narrows it down to around 500.  ;)

he has the ability to become intangible, almost like a ghost or an astral projection, when he uses a machine of his creation.

That's the unique aspect. All the characters I can think of with intangibility had it as a power not a machine.

I don't think the Centaur's Masked Marvel could become intangible, but maybe it was an issue I never read or forgot about. For some reason it seems like it might be a Centaur character, but I can't think of any.
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 04:13:05 PM »

I had the same feeling it was from Centaur, but it surely wasn't the Masked Marvel, as I know that one fairly well.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 05:34:33 PM »

I've been racking my brain Fra and come up with nothing.  Immediately I thought of The Vision, but the costume is wrong (I'm terrible with colours).
We could have mass flick through the Centaur files, I suppose.
Is it possible this bloke is a villain?
Man O War can appear via smoke or explosions  (actually I don't really understand how he does it) but the costume is wrong.
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2024, 10:36:11 AM »

I found him!

Thanks to the help of the Public Domain Super Heroes Wiki, I managed to quickly skim through their database and I finally found the character I was looking for.
He's a single-appearance character, published by Lev Gleason, who appeared in Silver Streak Comics #1. His name is Spirit Man.

Here's the issue: https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=76179

The panel I had in mind was him chasing after a truck! (page 61)

Thanks to everyone who jumped in to help!
ip icon Logged

fethiye

message icon
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2024, 06:43:52 PM »

Nice to hear that your found ;)
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2024, 09:28:14 PM »

Congratulations on finding Spirit Man. I'd never heard of him, of course. Many early Lev Gleason characters were very weird, and Spirit Man is a perfect example. Note how he murders all the bad guys. Gold thieves they may have been, but they didn't kill anybody.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2024, 10:33:06 PM »

Note how he murders all the bad guys. Gold thieves they may have been, but they didn't kill anybody. 

The instances of 'Heroes' casually murdering the bad guys, in more than a few early golden age comics, never ceases to astonish me.

Frabig, would you consider doing a collection of one-off obscure superheroes like this?     

cheers!
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2024, 11:07:20 PM »

I found him!

He's a single-appearance character, published by Lev Gleason, who appeared in Silver Streak Comics #1. His name is Spirit Man.

Congratulations!

What's embarrassing is that as I was looking through the issue I thought, "This is familiar." Turns out I had read it last April so SHOULD have remembered it. D'oh!
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2024, 02:31:18 PM »

The instances of 'Heroes' casually murdering the bad guys, in more than a few early golden age comics, never ceases to astonish me.

That's true, especially if we consider that some superheroes were all about not killing criminals even back then. I guess different writers had different ideas of what a superhero should or shouldn't do. Today the superhero archetype is much more codified than it was at that time, and that's another cool aspect of Golden Age comics.

Would you consider doing a collection of one-off obscure superheroes like this?

That's actually a neat idea, Panther! I already have some characters in mind. I only need to decide whether I should do it based on publisher or just a random anthology of one-off superheroes I like...

Turns out I had read it last April so SHOULD have remembered it.

Lol, it happens all the time to me too, especially if I'm not researching about something but I'm just casually reading some issues.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2024, 06:44:48 AM »

Oddly enough JessComicVideos did a video on this guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8SMRrP5kN4

Coincidence or did Jess read this thread?
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2024, 05:16:31 PM »

Wow! That's such a peculiar coincidence!

It's a possibility he saw this thread indeed.
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2024, 12:16:19 AM »

I mean, don't Judge Dredd and Punisher murder bad guys too? Although those are usually the really bad guys.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2024, 01:37:52 AM »

And don't forget AAU Shuperstar.  ;)

For a 1970s comic ad hero I don't think he left a single opponent alive. I found it amusing that a character with Golden Age standards was appearing in Bronze Age comics.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.