in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Hello from Canada!

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Hello from Canada!  (Read 883 times)

Ronkaperp

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Ronkaperp
message icon
Hello from Canada!
« on: August 27, 2010, 02:25:08 AM »

Hi everybody-- I'm Ronka, a comics fan hailing from the cold climate of Canada. I'm generally into superhero comics, though I love all forms of the medium. I have a keen interest in comics history, especially stuff from the 1910-20s, but I also love the whizz-bang type Golden Age superhero stories. I unfortunately don't own any actual old comics-- budget and location restrict my ability to buy them. My dad and uncles apparently had a huge collection of classic comics as kids, that got thrown out when they were teens.  ::)

Anyway, I'm grateful that a site like this exists, so I can read and enjoy comics I would never be able to read otherwise (heck, some I probably wouldn't even know existed!). Thanks to the uploaders and admins for spending time on this wonderful project.

I plan on reading some Captain Marvel and Spirit, but browsing the list there are lots of other comics titles that catch my eye and I don't quite know where to start. Does anyone have any recommendations for favourite, somewhat obscure comics?

-Ronka
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Hello from Canada!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 10:35:44 AM »

Welcome Ron please send some cool weather down my way. If you like odd try any Centaur especially Amazing Man, Keen Detective and Amazing Mystery Funnies. You also need to read the archive of popular oddballs and Phantom Lady. We have Duke of Darkness and Black Dwarf archives. Try Tally-Ho as well as Triple Threat, Gold Medal, Blazing and Yellowjacket and Atomic Thunderbolt
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Hello from Canada!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 03:10:43 PM »

Welcome Ron please send some cool weather down my way. If you like odd try any Centaur especially Amazing Man, Keen Detective and Amazing Mystery Funnies. You also need to read the archive of popular oddballs and Phantom Lady. We have Duke of Darkness and Black Dwarf archives. Try Tally-Ho as well as Triple Threat, Gold Medal, Blazing and Yellowjacket and Atomic Thunderbolt

Thanks for these GA superhero recommendations.  While I had pretty well mapped out how I was going to check out some of the bigger GA superhero publishers represented here at GAC (Fawcett, Quality, MLJ and Hillman) there is a lot I don't know about the output of the smaller companies.

Anybody else have some recommendations for the lesser superheroes of the GA either as to characters, titles or as to artists of note?

Joe M
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.