in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 183 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

How do you choose to pick up a new series?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: How do you choose to pick up a new series?  (Read 1543 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
How do you choose to pick up a new series?
« on: August 28, 2010, 10:39:09 AM »

In looking at the covers of some new books it got me wondering. So I am asking, how do you choose to put down your money to give a new series a try?
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: How do you choose to pick up a new series?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 05:14:51 PM »

Recently, I've been using other reader's recommendations from the "Golden Age Swag" discussion. Got some really good tips from there. If I just go to my LCS, then I go by character, then cover and interior art.  I buy from two different comic shops- one with all comics bagged , the other with all comics open. Guess which one gets most of my business? Cheers, Jeff
ip icon Logged

beowulf

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 07:16:46 AM »

I love a good storyline, but I admit that I'll pass up a book if the artwork doesn't appeal to me. As far as I'm concerned, Alex Ross needs to do a lot more work. My one exception is Kevin O'Neill when he illustrates a League of Extraordinay Gentlemen story. I love Alan Moore's writing and enjoy trying to locate an identify all the Easter Eggs.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 12:32:11 PM »

My expectation for this thread was most would  say PREVIEWS. I do not get Previews but will pick up COMIC SHOP NEWS. Some times things will jump out at me like Archie's Man from RIVERDALE return. I picked up Green Hornet Year One and Kato Origins when they were solicited because I was most interested in the original character. I did not pick up Last Phantom because it did not look like "my" original character.

I picked up Widow Warriors because of promos in Green Hornet. With only one issue I reserve judgement. I like the premise so I want to see if the story develops. I have not liked the art at all but will put up with it if the story gets good.

Most of the books I have pulled are after reading the first issue and liking it, I do not want to spend my hard earned money on something I do not like. Since I get some of the more obscure titles, I need to read the actual book to see if I want more because I do not know what to expect. I choose a book because of story, not art, so just looking at the book is not enough. I had to read the first two issues of Kevin S GH to see what he might do to the character before I decided to give it a pull. Rather I continue depends on if he makes GH a hero or a bumbler. I was glad not to have wasted money on GH Parallel Lives or Strikes. I really liked ABSOLUTION so I will probably start looking for more stories by Christos Cage. I think I saw he was doing something for DC but do not remember what.

How do I decide which first issues to read? I do not get any Marvel's and only JSA/JLA trades from DC. I usually ignore what they have on the stands but did read LEGACIES and have enjoyed it. For other companies it is often a shot in the dark. Like everyone else there is only so much time to read comics so I know I miss out on a lot of things I might have really enjoyed. I am not sure what catches my eye and it is not always the same thing. Why did I decide to read End League and Absolution while not other superhero team books? I do not know. I like books that have the something a little bit different to them. Not sure what that is though.

I will get any book by Dial "C" or Big City. Dial "C" has only had two publications so far the mini RETURN OF THE SUPER PIMPS and the trade MISERABLE DASTARDS. Richard Hamilton is the writer publisher and I like his style. Super Pimps is the only book I know of where the colorist stands out as making the book worth looking at. The interesting quirky story line makes it worth getting. I saw that Big City is coming back and I hope so. They have a "feel" to their books that I like. Not many titles but there is something about them. I read the first issue of ANT: Unleashed and had it pulled. I hunted out the previous issues published by others. Through ANT I looked at the other books by Big City and found I liked them also. Some others of you may have a company loyalty because of some consistency. ALIAS had a usually family friendly and fun style that I liked. I love Zenoscope covers but have not gotten their books. I read the first issue of Inferno (which has a less seductive cover than their usual) and liked it. I will look at the second issue and decide if I want it pulled.

Well so much for my ranting. Hopefully some more will chime in even if it is just to say PREVIEWS. Curious minds want to know.
ip icon Logged

CharlieRock

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 04:41:02 PM »

I am entirely superficial when it comes to deciding which comics to read. I will go by cover art, or flip through the pages and make up my mind then. For GAC I usually just go by the covers. Which is probably why I have a scattering of the jungle girl types of comics. lol
ip icon Logged

deni

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 04:47:55 AM »

I don't buy as many books as I once did.   I first check out Newsrama & Comic Shop News, then there is PREVIEWS at the comic shop, assorted blogs, etc.  Recently I have started reading Golden Age Swag.
     For me the story is the most important part of the book.  It's what determines if I am going to get any more issues in the series.
     However if the book is totally unknown to me, cover and interior art do make a first impression.   Be it realistic or surrealistic style,  the interior art must "flow" so that I get a sense of the story.   If the art is poor on any level then I might as well be reading a prose book.
     I like to get in on the ground floor with the first issue of a new series.   If I miss the first issue I'm more reluctant to pick up any later issues.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 05:05:03 AM by deni »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.