in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

New guy from Hammond, Louisiana, USA

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: New guy from Hammond, Louisiana, USA  (Read 5296 times)

dshaneb

message icon
New guy from Hammond, Louisiana, USA
« on: September 07, 2010, 04:28:56 AM »

Hey, everyone,

I stumbled across this forum while searching for old comics collections online. I think it's great that those of you here who have the skills and are taking the time to scan in all these old comics, are preserving them for future generations. You're also making them much more widely available. :)

I just won a Platinum Age comic on ebay. Is there anyone near Hammond, Louisiana that does the scanning and conversion process? It's not far from Baton Rouge, the state capital. I don't have the time, patience, or equipment, but I'd let someone else convert it, once I receive it.

Thanks,
Shane
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: New guy from Hammond, Louisiana, USA
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 04:30:54 AM »

Hey, everyone,

I stumbled across this forum while searching for old comics collections online. I think it's great that those of you here who have the skills and are taking the time to scan in all these old comics, are preserving them for future generations. You're also making them much more widely available. :)

I just won a Platinum Age comic on ebay. Is there anyone near Hammond, Louisiana that does the scanning and conversion process? It's not far from Baton Rouge, the state capital. I don't have the time, patience, or equipment, but I'd let someone else convert it, once I receive it.

Thanks,
Shane

Welcome aboard Shane! Enjoy your downloads!  ;D

B.
ip icon Logged

dshaneb

message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 04:36:58 AM »

Thanks! This is a cool site! ;D

The comic I won was All Around Weekly #4 from November 19, 1909.

Shane
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 04:48:59 AM »

Thanks! This is a cool site! ;D

The comic I won was All Around Weekly #4 from November 19, 1909.

Shane

That sounds interesting, please let us know what is in it once you get around to reading it.  ;D

B.
ip icon Logged

dshaneb

message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 04:54:47 AM »

I could try to post the image of the cover, if that's okay? I'm pretty certain a 1909 comic book is in the public domain. ;)

Shane
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 04:55:41 AM »

I could try to post the image of the cover, if that's okay? I'm pretty certain a 1909 comic book is in the public domain. ;)

Shane

Please do post the cover. We'd love to see it.  ;D ;D ;D
ip icon Logged

dshaneb

message icon
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 05:01:23 AM »

Let's see if this works:

ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 05:07:45 AM »

Hey, everyone,

Thanks,
Shane

Just a head's up, Shane, I don't think that's going to turn out to be "comic book" as you would imagine it. It's probably primarily text stories - much more akin to a pulp magazine (to which it is an actual precursor) than to a comic book.

FYI.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

dshaneb

message icon
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 05:12:57 AM »

Yeah, I just found that out with a bit more research. It's a story magazine, as I found another one offered and they had a picture of the first page--all text. :( Well, it's still cool to have a 1909 pre-pulp magazine. I just wish it was a comic (art) book.

Shane
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 05:21:09 AM »

Yeah, I just found that out with a bit more research. It's a story magazine, as I found another one offered and they had a picture of the first page--all text. :( Well, it's still cool to have a 1909 pre-pulp magazine. I just wish it was a comic (art) book.

Shane

Shane thanks for sharing the cover with us. It is pretty interesting!  ;D
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 09:31:18 AM »

I have run across similar at antique flea markets. They are neat because of the age but I too was disappointed they were not comics.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 09:32:46 AM »

By the way Shane the book is public domain and could be shared here if there is someone in your area to scan it. I am sure it would be a welcome download.
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 05:13:14 PM »

The scanner "Henry Peters" is from Louisiana.  I think from Baton Rouge.  Send him a PM.
ip icon Logged

dshaneb

message icon
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 05:17:45 AM »

Thanks for the info. I'll try to contact him after I get the book in. I live in Hammond, but work in Baton Rouge, so getting it scanned in may work out.

Shane
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 10:15:27 AM »

Looks to be in pretty good condition considering it just over 100 years old. Imagine the history that thing has seen...two world wars...landing on the moon...the internet...Jersey Shore (shudder  :P)
ip icon Logged

Henry Peters

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 01:46:31 PM »

I am in Baton Rouge and would be glad to help.
ip icon Logged

dshaneb

message icon
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 06:16:47 AM »

Looks to be in pretty good condition considering it just over 100 years old. Imagine the history that thing has seen...two world wars...landing on the moon...the internet...Jersey Shore (shudder  :P)

That's the cool part--holding something in your hand that's been through so much history. I collect old swords for the same reason. :)

Hey, I'm glad to see you responded, Henry. I just got the book in today. It's a pre-pulp or early pulp magazine; whatever you want to call it. It's intact, but is pretty fragile. It's all text inside, except for some cool ads. One of them concerns a contest to win a M M Motorcycle of that era, plus ads for other pulps. If you think people here would be interested and you have the time to scan it, PM me some contact info and we'll see what we can set up.

Shane
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 09:00:40 PM »

Well a pulp section has been suggested. PM Janus and if he approves we can go for it
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.