in house dollar bill thumbnail
Comic Book Plus In-House Image
 Total: 43,472 books
 New: 226 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Speed Comics #37 (May 1945)

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Speed Comics #37 (May 1945)  (Read 154 times)

mopee167

message icon
Speed Comics #37 (May 1945)
« on: May 12, 2024, 01:32:38 PM »

I think the initials on the cover of Speed Comics #37 (May 1945) that look like "JC” are actually "JK”... which would make that cover as being drawn by a young Joe Kubert (age 18).
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Speed Comics #37 (May 1945)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2024, 01:56:08 AM »

mopee167,

That's a nice cover! Thanks for bringing my attention to it. I like group covers.
When you mention a book or books it's helpful if you include the link in your post so others can quickly access it.
Just click on the link in the browser, click copy and then paste onto the page.
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=25846
Well done to find that signature. Took me a while.
This is what GCD says about that cover,
https://www.comics.org/issue/4372/
Although a previous indexer credited Rudy Palais with the art, the initials 'J C' are clearly visible. Comparing this with the signed cover to #39, the styles are different. On #39 Palais does not yet know the physical details of either Captain Freedom (note neckline, size of star of forehead) or, in particular, The Black Cat, who looks very little like what has gone before. In summary, this is NOT Palais. 

You will note that Joe Kubert is credited with the inks on the Black Cat story. Over Jill Elgin's pencils.
Note her mask in that story, and you will see that the Black Cat on the cover must be by a quite different artist.
There is nothing on this cover that is in Kubert's art style - which is hard to disguise. Note that GCD does not dispute that the initials are J. C. 
Personally , I think that the cover is a mash-up of the work of many artists, since each character is drawn in the style of the artist of it's books. J.C. may have penciled in the postions on the cover.     
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
Re: Speed Comics #37 (May 1945)
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2024, 11:36:39 AM »

I tried to  post the comment on the appropriate page but I kept getting an error message.

I still think the entire cover is by Joe Kubert. The difference in Black Cat's mask in the interior story would be due to Miss Elgin's pencils, if she did indeed pencil the story.

Also Jerry Bails Who's Who does not list anyone working at Harvey at the time who had the initials J.C.

Thanks for putting up the link.

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.