in house dollar bill thumbnail
Comic Book Plus In-House Image
 Total: 43,509 books
 New: 236 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Black Cobra 3

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Black Cobra 3  (Read 89 times)

Johnny L. Wilson

message icon
Re: Black Cobra 3
« on: July 02, 2024, 02:07:02 AM »

Jet-Propelled Justice: Although this is a rather straightforward story, I did enjoy the space-age version of being hoist by one’s own petard. It was also entertaining the way Black Cobra’s plan both fell apart and came together, sort of like a one man “A Team.”

Torpedoman: What if “The Rocketeer” only “flew” undersea? Torpedoman scuba-dives with a jet-pack. It’s Mike Nelson (Lloyd Bridges in Sea Hunt) on steroids. It looks like the story was originally supposed to be both mystery and adventure, but the mystery portion was telegraphed to the reader wiltthout allowing for any detecting.

Eagle of the Sea: This is a nice story based on historical events with the Philadelphia and the Constitution off Tripoli. If you’ve ever wondered about the “shores of Tripoli” phrase in the U. S. Marines Hymn, this is a good place to learn about it. Although the story is correct about not one U.S. life lost, there was one wounded in Decatur’s crew.

Heroes Are Made! This little text story (2-pages) packs a lot into its exposition. At first, one expects a buddy story where the big guy takes care of the little guy and, the little guy ends up saving the big guy. Well, that’s not what happens. There are plenty of twists in this two-pages, even though the alert reader senses what is going to happen.

Danger in Two Volumes: What happens when a superspy’s ruse doesn’t quite work? He quickly adapts it for another, especially if the results have been foreshadowed on an earlier page. I really enjoyed this one, even though there were some pretty weak art panels that seemed hurriedly done.

I probably would have liked this book when I reached elementary school, but when it was published, I was reading funny animal comics and early western tie-ins like Annie Oakley and The Texas Rangers. Of course, my kindergarten self usually had to be happy with what my parents occasionally got me or I could read at my cousins’ houses (I had one cousin who seemed to buy every title he could get his hands on. I loved it when we visited his house because my aunt and uncle made him let me read them.)

Link to the comment: Black Cobra 3
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.