in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 181 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Weird science makes golden age heroes!

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Weird science makes golden age heroes!  (Read 3137 times)

captblitzdawg

message icon
Weird science makes golden age heroes!
« on: January 31, 2014, 09:31:17 PM »

Similar to a super natural listing of GA heroes, I would like to compile one of major super heroes from all eras, except these guys are the result of science. Accidental (like the Hulk) or intentional like Iron Man. I'm not looking for alien artifacts or weapons.

So far, off the top of my head I have:
Capt America, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-man, Daredevil, Wasp, Ant Man/Giant Man/ Yellowjacket, Luke Cage, Vision, the original Human Torch, Marvel's Wonder Man, Deathlok;

Flash I & II, Hourman, Cyborg, Sandman, Metamorpho, Robotman, Atom II;

Atomic Man, Airmale, Power Nelson, Dynamic Man (either origin), Hydroman, American Crusader, Plastic Man, Black Terror, Flame Girl, Bulletman (and girl);

I am on the fence about Batman- is he made from skill and money, or is he the product of science? Also not too sure about Fantastic Four, but if we are looking at accidents, then I suppose I should include them. Green Lama, Wolverine and the Falcon are all "tweeners" to me. Two of them are mutants, but their most obvious abilities are from technology, and the Lama uses mysticism and radioactive salt. Also, confused if I should include the Flame. He learned fire control from monks, so that sounds mystical, but he was able to turn that into a formula that created Flame Girl.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Weird science makes golden age heroes!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 05:06:01 PM »

The G.A. G.L. perhaps as his power ring is the result of science, having been forged on Earth from a meteorite; Negative Man; the other Robotman; Rocketman; would the original Sandman with his gas gun and mask qualify? Dynamo; No Man; in fact all the Thunder Agents; The Question; Johnny Quick; Starman.
I'm sure there are many more but if you want some non-American examples, try The Flaming Avenger from the British story paper, Rover; Captain Atlas (you can find him in the GG Swan section); Ray Spede, again on the site. And for non-English heroes, you can find Mister-X; Wonderman; Atomo Kid and more on site.
I hope some other superhero nuts will chip in. ;)
ip icon Logged

captblitzdawg

message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 07:19:00 PM »

Thanks for the response! Yes, I did include the original Sandman since his whole gimmick was his sleeping gas gun and his rebreather mask.
I wasn't sure about Starman's origins- if the anti-grav rod was alien or the result of an earthly inventor. Allen Scott seems like he's stuck in between- his did fashion the ring to use the power of the starheart/lantern, but that is alien in origin. I'll have to think on that one a bit more.
Thunder Agents is a great call! I wish their public domain status wasn't so convoluted. I just read the Capt. Atlas story that was posted a couple days ago. It might be worth it to make a sub-group of Vita-ray/drug/chemical/steroid heroes- the Golden Age seems to have plenty of them. Thanks so much for the other names, too! I am compiling this list so I can go through it and feature different heroes from different eras who were all "made by science" since our library system's theme is Fizz, Boom, Read!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 09:06:26 AM »

As no one else has chipped in, what about Marvelman.  Kimota brings down atomic power to change Micky M. Into Marvelman.  And, a scientist was involved!
The vita ray/drug thing is intriguing and Hourman would go in that section. As would Vital Man (Budgie Press?). 
Back to British characters and Spring Heeled Jackson, Black Sapper and King Cobra all use invented devices in their costumed identities.  Some British female costumed characters have used invented gadgets and equipment. E.g. Starr of Wonderland, Spring Heeled Jill, Supergirl (no, not that one). 
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 03:18:50 PM »

Elongated Man took his formula.
Captain Atom
Air Boy and Birdy
Atomic Thunderbolt
Nukla
The Fab 4.
For me Green Lama would be a big no
Metamorpho would also be a no.
Beast Boy
Elasti Girl
Mento
ip icon Logged

RickDeckard525

message icon
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 07:42:51 AM »

Hey guys, I haven't posted on the forum in awhile but I got an email about this topic somehow. First of all I can't believe you missed the Fantastic Four, especially since you had to make the distinction between johnny and old torch! Other obvious ones: Superman, everything super (girl, boy, baby, legion of superheroes, legion of superpets etc.), Green Lantern, Adam Strange, Hawkman, Martian Manhunter, and most of the Fourth world. If you count Batman you will have to do all the other gadget guys such as Skyman and almost everyone in police comics. Add the shield, all the metal men, Silver Surfer, pretty much all the heralds of galactus (especially gabriel 'cause he's another robot)--gee I could go on and on with the cosmic marvel. Marvel's Captain Marvel, Marvel's Captain Marvels children phyla and genis, Ms. Marvel/Binary/Captain Marvel, Quasar, Warlock has some magic but he is a clone-thing, and if we're doing warlock add Her. Then we would have to add all the guardians of the galaxy and all of the micronauts. If we do Wolverine we will have to add anyone else affiliated with Weapon X. We should probably also add all the Shield/Hydra/Pegasus people, I.e. Spider-Woman and Quasar (wait I already said Quasar). X-O Manowar, Bloodshot, Magnus, Doctor Solar, and Tuvok when he fights dinosaurs. Should I really think of more cosmic marvel? Ok here goes: other warlock from New x-men, Nova, all the titanians that were ever in the Avengers, ugh I could go on forever...I bet most of Alpha Flight would work too. Omigosh what about Dark Horse? I bet everyone in B.P.R.D has some reason they should be in this category. Even Hellboy gets cool gadgets and stuff. Honestly I could keep doing this all night if I didn't have to sleep. All of things of man and swamp. zzzzZZZzzzzzz... Machine Man ZzzZZZZZzzzzzz... Firestorm...ZzZZZzzzzZZZZzzzzZZ
Dude I think it would be quicker to make a list of superheroes that aren't--I just looked through stack of comics I haven't organized to find these.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 02:30:29 PM »

I think captblitzdawg has reservations abouut F. F.and Bats. The Surfer surely is the result of alien intervention and going by caps self-made restrictions, all the super folk wont get on the list.  But I'm curious as to how he reacts to you r suggestions.
Don't know about you, but I'm quite enjoying this ;)
ip icon Logged

captblitzdawg

message icon
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 03:31:57 PM »

This looks like it is getting good- lots of great characters to look at and some for me to research and learn! Thanks so much. I am leaning to include the FF, but characters who receive their powers from the "Power Cosmic" (Silver Surfer, Quasar, Mar-Vel, etc.) or are born with their powers like Superman and Martian Manhunter. The X-Men is real "iffy" but right now I would say "no." The reason is, it wasn't a science experiment or lab accident, or technological advancement that gave them their powers. There are exceptions, like one of the Summers kids (don't recall if it was Cable, Rachel or Hope) who I think was deliberately manipulated from before birth by Mr. Sinister to become the specific mutant she/he is.
Most of Alpha Flight I would think are in- Vanguard and Sasquatch definitely. Firestorm is a BRILLIANT call- can't believe I missed him! Machine Man fits perfectly for what I am looking for- so other androids like Vision and Red Tornado are in.
This will make a great visual presentation- especially with the older characters most of these kids have never heard of.
ip icon Logged

RickDeckard525

message icon
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 04:30:48 AM »

The origin of the power cosmic is confusing, but here goes. Galactus was a scientist or something named Galan when the first big crunch (end of universe like big bang but crunch) happened and everyone died except for him. He became one with the universe or something and that gave him powers and stuff. He WAS a scientist and he has all kinds of fancy machines that he built, but it is hard to discern how much of his power is cosmic or science-y. A popular interpretation it his only real power is his immortality and the rest comes from his gadgets--and that he just calls it the power cosmic because of his huge ego.

Mar-vell on the other hand is unrelated to the power cosmic. He was originally a Kree scout sent to earth to decide whether the Kree should blow it up, because the FF broke their sentry. His original powers were his super Kree strength and his uni-beam gadget laser thing on his wrist. Later he became involved in a thing with Ronan and the supreme intelligence and there where holograms and stuff. The supreme intelligence gave him some soul gemmy-ness and then eon made him protector. To be more specific then:his knee powers are science, Ms. Marvel/binary/cap's powers are science-y, and his kids are clones so that's science.

When I said weapon X I meant those bad guys that put the adamantium in wolvie's bones. They did a bunch of other people like deadpool and cable, so I meant to include all of those guys. Lots of other mutants have to have implants and stuff like cyclops, but those would be in a separate category.

I was thinking superman because A. Jor-el had to use science to figure out the planet was gonna explode, and B. he had to use science to build a spaceship. In that respect superman's survival was dependent on Jor-el's scientific achievement.

What is this for again?
ip icon Logged

captblitzdawg

message icon
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 04:14:28 PM »

Rick- great reply. Thanks. I am going to do a series of displays of comic book heroes who were the result of science- whether the result was intentional or accidental. These displays will be in my library through the summer to tie in with our summer reading theme of "Fizz, Boom, Read!"- which is about exploring science.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 02:53:49 AM »

First guy I thought of was Centaur comics Blue Fire. Guy made up a potion and drank it without any testing whatsoever, fortunately it didn't kill him.  ;)

Other Centaur folk

Minimidget & Ritty - shrunk by a mad scientist.

The Iron Skull - a soldier given an iron skull by doctors to save his life, later injected with a serum to turn his whole body to iron.

Mighty Man - originally just a 12-foot tall giant, but later given a brain operation that allowed him to change size and shape.

The Sparkler - had a suit that could make him invisible.

King of Darkness - had a machine that could create a cone of darkness and a suit that could withstand the cold inside it if I recall correctly (it's been months since I've read the Centaur books.)

Nightshade - had a light that could project his shadow that he could control.

There might be others, but those are all I can recall at the moment.
ip icon Logged

captblitzdawg

message icon
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 07:28:00 PM »

Thanks for those great replies! That helps me a lot!
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 08:31:32 PM »

Some evidence science is catching up with science fiction.
"The Iron Skull - a soldier given an iron skull by doctors to save his life, later injected with a serum to turn his whole body to iron."

Recently an old lady was given a complete jaw replacement using a Titanium jaw created by a 3D printer.

"The Sparkler - had a suit that could make him invisible."
There have been more recent developments but as far back as WW2 Naval patrol bombers were fitted with a device called Glimmer (or possibly Glamour) that consisted of light level sensors at the rear of the aircraft that controled the out put of small light bulbs mounted on the leading edges of the wings. Duplicating the light level of the sky behind the bomber was enough to trick the eye of look outs aboard the targeted ships.

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.