in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,840 books
 New: 130 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Disney, Marvel & non-American creators

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Disney, Marvel & non-American creators  (Read 2319 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Disney, Marvel & non-American creators
« on: May 12, 2011, 03:52:25 PM »

Bit late with this:-
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/comics/news/a318802/disney-issues-marvel-content-restriction.html
There is a lot of discussion re. this announcement on Uk Comics forum as It could affect foreign creators and titles.:-
http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4172
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Disney, Marvel & non-American creators
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 03:20:52 PM »

ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 09:29:01 PM »

On a related note, all Disney comics will now be published by Marvel. The current publisher, "Kaboom", was using some translated Dutch and Italian stories (really quite good) as well as some US reprints to fill the issues. Obviously, this will come to an end. Not really sure what Marvel will do to these comics, as the US reprints have been done to death and an attempt to modernize the characters will probably not turn out very well. Can you picture Huey, Dewey, and Louie in backwards hats, pierced beaks, and baggy jeans? Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 12:38:27 AM »

On a related note, all Disney comics will now be published by Marvel. The current publisher, "Kaboom", was using some translated Dutch and Italian stories (really quite good) as well as some US reprints to fill the issues. Obviously, this will come to an end. Not really sure what Marvel will do to these comics, as the US reprints have been done to death and an attempt to modernize the characters will probably not turn out very well. Can you picture Huey, Dewey, and Louie in backwards hats, pierced beaks, and baggy jeans? Cheers, Bowers

You've just given Marvel the direction for these Disney books!  ;D ;D ;D
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 01:35:40 PM »

Actually I'm expecting to see a lot of zombie ducks!!!

Arggghhhh!!!

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 07:19:45 PM »

AAARgh!.  What you said.
Actually the Italian Duck comics have some good stuff in them. I don't really care about Disney, apart from the good Duck material.  And I'm not particularly bothered if Marvel UK, or whatever go down the pan but it's a shame that some good (and not so good) British creators could lose work.  Perhaps we might see a revival in home produced British comics.  That'll be the day.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 03:29:28 AM »

Art and literature should never be restricted by borders or national pride.

Some of the best science fiction novels and films that I remember from my youth were German , Soviet, or Central European, and many of the greatest talents of Hollywood, especially screenwritters, were European immigrants.
ip icon Logged

CharlieRock

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 03:14:23 AM »

I have to believe that British creators (and all the rest of the world's comics storytellers) will find an outlet on their own. Just because Marvel won't publish somebody doesn't mean we'll never get to see their stuff. Maybe 2000 AD will put out another spin-off title. Or a manga company could expand. Or another homegrown title will emerge.

Marvel will just be missing out.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 04:31:58 PM »

Problem is that 2000AD is about it for more grown up comics in the U.K.  O.K. there's Clint but it's quite objectionable at times and I don't think it's selling well.  The Commando digests, which appear 4 per month, are reprints, albeit often with nice art and Beano and Dandy are intended for kids. Do we count Doctor Who?  I suppose we must as it has a good strip every issue. I'm not sure if publishers feel that new comics for a more adult market will sell and as there are British versions of American Marvel and DC on newsagents shelves, why should they take the chance? The fan base is small here to the extent that, given the above, and despite many old British strips being reprinted in nice volumes in mainland Europe, they don't get issued here. So it's a real gamble for publishers. (The best regular entertainment is VIZ - hilarious - but it's so rude, vulgar and downright dirty that few admit to enjoying it)
I've probably missed something(s) but you get the picture.
There is another homegrown on the horizon (STRIP) but it doesn't seem to be quite ready yet and looks as if it will carry some Euro reprints.
With the DC restart and not being a Marvel fan, I find myself relying more and more on old comics and strips for my panelological entertainment.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.