in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,819 books
 New: 188 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

the crime syndicate

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: the crime syndicate  (Read 2933 times)

fate man

message icon
the crime syndicate
« on: September 06, 2013, 10:45:30 PM »

Hey guys,
What do you think of the crime syndicate's return in DC's forever evil mini-series?
ip icon Logged

RickDeckard525

message icon
Re: the crime syndicate
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 11:31:17 PM »

I think most of the people here stopped reading a lot of DC with the new 52. It seems to me to be as good a jumping on point as a jumping off point. I did, however pick up the Black Adam whatevers this month because it was all 3D-y and I can never stay mad at Black Adam. I saw the channel 52 thing in the back and did notice the crime syndicate thing. Personally, I love the crime syndicate and would like to see many of the 52 get their eyes pecked out by Owlman. I would like to see Owlman peck out lots of eyeballs come to think of it. Especially Superior Spiderman, which is my favorite title right now. It is very interesting that Dan Slott can make me so angry at everything that happens, but leave me just a glimmer of hope to keep me coming back. Comic Books are so manipulative these days!

P.S. I am sorry your friendly topic ended in me ranting about Owlman pecking peoples' eyes out, and I hope someone else *ahem, narf* will say something positive ;)
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 07:53:47 PM »

Yeah, I don't read any of the 52 and really none of it excites me even when they use concepts that I like, like the Crime Syndicate because it's now all divorced from the previous realities. The cool thing about DC concepts was seeing the linkages with past comics. Even with the COIE divide, there were still linkages.

I quite enjoyed the EARTH 2 story by Morrison and Quitely when it came out new in hardcover (which shows how much I was into it, given I paid full price for a hardcover, rather than waiting to get a softcover at discount)--even though it wasn't quite in the same continuity as Earth-Three. The idea of Owlman as Bruce's brother in another reality was thought-provoking. And I think that Morrison left strong hints that Superwoman was the bad version of Lois Lane. Which was a good insight--as before, it had been assumed that the Earth-Three Superwoman was the evil counterpart of Wonder Woman.

I don't know what they've done with Superwoman in the new 52, but I think it would be provocative if she was an exact double of Lois. Then Superman would see his Lois in her.

I've always liked Lois, but given the negative feelings about her character from a lot of Superman fans, it would be compelling to explore the idea of an evil Lois. I believe Lois could become one of Superman's main arch enemies, if they chose to go that way with her character. And it would probably have the effect of making her a fan favourite again.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 10:26:47 PM »

Interesting concepts but I read no DC or Marvel. They are just not my friends from times past.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 10:48:01 PM »

I think the majority of us here (well at least me) have given up on Marvel and DC. The way the've treated their golden age characters is a sin. Legacy characters my (fill in the blank). Now it's strictly Dynamite, IDW, Dark Horse and anyone else (Is Moonstone still publishing other than prose?) that does pulps and GA heroes in an interesting manner. Sorry........

RB @ Work
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 10:58:04 PM »

I do not like what Dynamite does with the GA characters. I did enjoy Archies recent Crusaders. Moonstone is still publishing. They have some other than GA but the GA is mainly Domino Lady and they have done Airboy and Spider and Phantom Detective also
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 02:25:18 PM »

At the risk of making everyone on CB+ seem to be towing the same line, I also confess to not reading DC or Marvel.  I took 52 as a jumping off point but I had been growing more and more unhappy with the way these companies were taking characters and stories well before that.  It's sad because I remember the excitement the Crime Syndicate caused when they first appeared.  What a great idea.  I always thought that Superwoman was the E3 version of W.W. but the idea that she might be a version of Lois is intriguing.  Just not enough to make me spend the money to read about it.
As for Mr. Morrison, I just do not enjoy his work.  He seems, and has always seemed, to be a bit too cynical, deliberately seeming to be controversial for controversy's sake, imo. And I find a slightly nasty touch to his ideas from time to time. It has worked for him,  unfortunately, to my mind.  Shame really as F.Q.'s artwork can be excellent.
I'm with narfstar. I don't like what Dynamite does with its G.A. characters.  But there are a few comics that I do enjoy and I'm looking forward to the Fox from Archie.
A few of you will know about Spaceship Away:-
http://spaceshipaway.org.uk/
A worthy attempt to give readers new Dan Dare (and other) stories with the look and feel of the original Eagle.  I picked up some back issues in OK Comics in Leeds last week and a look at the website should make anyone sit up and take notice.
There are some seriously good bad guys in comics - Crime Syndicate, Joker, Eclipso, Doc Doom etc. but The Mekon is up there. For those who don't know him, here's some info.:-
http://www.dandare.org/dan/aliens/mekon/mekon.htm
http://www.davidszondy.com/future/Dystopias/invaders04.htm
ip icon Logged

RickDeckard525

message icon
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 06:43:37 AM »

I still stand by marvel, and I point out Waid and Samnee's Daredevil as an example of a comic book the way it should be. Fate Man, I am very sorry that your thread ended with narf not saying anything positive and me telling you to read another comic.  :o
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 10:16:30 AM »

On a positive note IDW and Dark Horse tend to do OK on their revival material. I really liked Arden's Samson their Magnus and Doctor Solar were pretty good. Too bad they did not catch on.
ip icon Logged

RickDeckard525

message icon
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 06:26:53 AM »

I just read that the book I just told you to read is ending soon, hmmmmm. Fantistic Four and FF are nice too I guess... :o and once again I can't believe you were able to avoid Superior Spiderman.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 02:58:51 PM »

Avengers Academy was the last Marvel comic I paid any attention to. When it was dropped and we were given Avengers (Hunger Games) Arena then I am now paying no attention whatever to what comes from Marvel or DC. They may come out with some good stuff but they are now off my radar, I do not even look to see what they are producing.
ip icon Logged

RickDeckard525

message icon
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 06:33:05 PM »

Well, while you were gone...
Otto Octavius got cancer or something and was dying so he did what any sensible supervillain would
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.