in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,470 books
 New: 224 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Exercise

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Exercise  (Read 2951 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Exercise
« on: April 21, 2012, 09:19:44 PM »

As I mentioned in another place I went on my 4th 100K bike ride today. It may be my last. I do not feel that I progressed it was as hard as last year. The last 15 miles is miserable. After the 75K SAG stop I went several yards and got some bad cramps. My leg felt like it locked up. I had to stop and message and pray it out. It went away after awhile and I continued. Had a few places where some cramps tried to return. I feel really like I accomplished something when I finish but not sure if it is worth that struggle.

My wife and I regularly walk three miles in our neighborhood. Three miles is not far until you look at the hills we have to walk up and down. It is a pretty good walk. I ride on a group 28-29 mile ride on Thursday nights. My wife and I sometimes go on 12-20 mile rides together.

What do the rest of you do to exercise? At my young age of 55 I want to keep my body fit.
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
Re: Exercise
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 05:49:41 AM »

Hmmm,

At least 3 days a week, I get on the treadmill and do 30 minutes, alternating between a quick walk and a jog.  After, I go to the weight room and do bench, incline bench, and curls with the smaller bar.  I alternate this with some other stuff on the universals.  I also have a 75 cm ball at home to use to build up my back and legs some. 

Also, and this is key, I've attempted to cut out most of the salt in my diet.  I eat a lot of salads and fruit, and only turkey and fish.  I haven't had McDonald's or anything like that in about a year.  I just bought some chocolate flavored Silk, which I going to try tomorrow.  I've lost 40 pounds in the last year, and want to do about 25 more, which will get me down to 195 (at 6'2")

I'm 58.  I just lost a brother (at 73) who was heavy all his life (he averaged 300 to 325 at 6'5") but he did next to nothing over the last 10 years.  The extra weight, I believe, caused a certain amount of health issues over the last 10-15 years for him.

Also, I quit smoking 5 years ago.  I still can't run long distances, but it's coming along.  I stopped alcohol 21 years ago.  My drug is coffee.   

The gym at the University is literally 4 minutes away, and my wife works for Purdue.  That means we get full access to the athletic center for $30.00 per year.  I have no excuse not to stay on schedule, but I can create a lame reason for not going faster than the speed of thought.  Still, it's much easier to stay with the program in the summer.

Hang in there, Narf.

--Dave
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 10:59:17 AM »

Sorry about your brother Dave. That is one of the biggest reasons to get out there and suffer through it. I am not as strict with the diet as you but we do pretty good. We use a variety of Almond, Rice and Coconut milk. Try making a protein shake with Almond milk it is fantastic. We use whole grain wheat and brown rice and attempt to keep up the fiber. I have never smoked but have a glass of read wine an hour before bed because of all its medicinal benefits. Have you ever heard of jicama also called yambean? Potatoes even sweet potatoes have a high inflammatory glycemic index while jicama is actually anti-inflamatory. It can be cooked in any of the ways a potato can and it has more flavor. Only problem is that no place in town has it we have to go to the Publix in Ooltewah to get it. Keep up the good work.
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 12:55:15 PM »

Narf,

Thanks for the tips.  We've got a good food co-op here, but I have a tough time justifying the prices on some stuff. 

I occasionally crave sweets, and I never met an ice-cream sundae I didn't like.  However, vanilla flavored light yogurt on fruit has really helped.

Really though, starting school at 7 and getting home at five; dealing with the drama of junior high and high school kids (I have both) sometimes just takes the wind out of you and going to the gym instead of the couch is too much. 

I absolutely hate getting up at 5:15.  Only twenty-some school days left, tho.

--Dave
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 07:50:36 PM »

We get out of school May 23rd
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 09:50:02 AM »

I have to admit that I'm not as fit as I should be but I do walk a lot - if we're going to Edinburgh, it's a mile to the main road bus stop, and the train station is a half mile away, plus we walk most days in the neighbourhood.  Although we have a car, we don't use it that much.  A bit of gardening helps. Linda is at pilates class as I write this and she's also a member of the local ramblers group.  She puts me to shame.
We have a pretty good diet with porridge or no added salt or sugar muesli for breakfast with orange juice and rooibus tea, which has no caffeine. We eat little red meat, preferring chicken and fish, especially oily fish.  Pleased to say that I cook a lot and regularly make pasta and rice dishes. I love coffee - strong, black, continental coffee (and we are cutting down a bit on the caffeine) and neither of us takes milk or sugar in tea or coffee.  We eat a lot of fresh veg. and fruit, honey every day, use skimmed milk.  As for McDonald's or other nasty burger products, we don't eat them and haven't for many years.  The occasional exception is a venison and juniper burger which comes from the venison farm nearby and is low fat with no additives.
We don't smoke and do enjoy French or Italian wine, preferably red and from as close to Med. shores as possible. Actually, drinking it as close to the Med. as possible is the ideal.
Sorry, this seems a bit more about diet than excercise but I love good food.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 08:50:06 PM »

Actually this should be titled staying fit instead of exercise. Just remember the whole wheat pasta and brown rice for additional fiber, nutrition and flavor.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 12:19:37 PM »

I didn't mention bread and we eat a lot of it, mostly all wholemeal, seedy or other wholegrain , tasty stuff.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 01:37:44 AM »

Since we started eating whole grain bread it makes me wonder why anyone eats plain old white bread
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.