in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Where to start my DC Comic Book journey? Help Needed.

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Where to start my DC Comic Book journey? Help Needed.  (Read 488 times)

TalonKaine

message icon
Where to start my DC Comic Book journey? Help Needed.
« on: January 27, 2023, 09:06:33 PM »

Greetings,

I'm looking for feedback from the comic book community on where to start my DC comic book journey. My plan is to create a YouTube channel where I read an issue or series, give it a review, and a recap, and discuss with the community the details of the story. This will let the audience join me in my discovery of the DC Universe. The problem is, I don't know where to start reading. However, I'm most interested in Batman, Joker, and Harley Quinn characters. I would like to learn about each character's origins and do something that the YouTube audience would be interested in. I would be reading all the comics through the DC UNIVERSE INFINITE App.

It's safe to assume that I know nothing about DC comics because, in fact, I know very little about DC. I run a movie reaction channel and recently went through the DCEU films and I didn't even know most of the powers of the Justice League. This is because I've been a Marvel Comics collector throughout my life, I own about 5000 issues, and I'm currently reading through the Marvel Unlimited app daily. However, I decided it was time to dive into the DC lore.

I'd like to hear your feedback on how you suggest I go about discovering DC comics while also doing a series that the YouTube audience would find interesting.

Thanks in advance to all who take the time to reply.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
Re: Where to start my DC Comic Book journey? Help Needed.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 10:04:10 PM »

Well, the DC Universe (and superheroes as a group) started with Superman so Action Comics #1 would be a good start with the first superhero.

Batman started in Detective Comics #27, Joker first appeared in Batman #1. Harley Quinn first appeared in Batman the Animated Series, I believe the episode Joker's Favor. Later she was used in some comics based on the animated series before finally being used in some mainstream DC books (sorry not sure which ones).

Some additional Batman points, Robin first appears in Detective Comics #38, and Batman goes from being a vigilante to an honorary policeman in the final story of Batman #7 (his in-universe legal status for decades).

As for the larger DC Universe All Star Comics #3 features the first adventure of the Justice Society of America (comics first super-team).
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 11:00:51 PM »

It's a great idea, but first you need to decide what kind of viewer you want to reach. Do you want to attract fans of the Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age, etc.? Or do you want more contemporary fans who read the after 2011-revamp comics? I'm afraid a "one-size-fits-all" approach probably wouldn't be very successful as the characters became quite different as time went by, losing many readers but gaining others! Maybe just pick one you like and give it a shot. Good luck! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

TalonKaine

message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 11:45:29 PM »

I"m thinking about starting with the Modern Age. So if I focus on Batman that would be Batman: Year One, and then move into some Modern Batman content after that. I found a website that offered a guide to follow. Could be fun. :)
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 11:51:36 PM »

The Movie DC universe and the comic book universe are not one and the same.
Obviously you will need visuals, so concentrating on the movie and TV universe would make more sense for you.
Batman was a serial back in 1943,
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=batman+serial+

Superman was in a series of cartoons from 1941.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZag6pDDWbc&list=PLYuTxcgUHuU2HleIBzGQpIR2L-i6rfeGD&index=2

Both were on Radio well before then. There is enough material to keep you going for a long time.
Thing is tho, the kind of thing you say you want to do - for money obviously  - is already being  done - Comic books, TV movies, animation about TV, DC or Marvel, is already being done. T there are 100s, if not thousands of channels on YouTube, not to mention blogs, doing exactly the same thing.
If you want to find out more about DC, have you ever heard of Wikipedia?
It's all out there if you are willing to take the time.
It bothers me that you say you are a Marvel fan but know absolutely nothing about DC. You are clearly not a comic fan as that is so unlikely as to be impossible for a real comic fan.
Good luck for you on your money-making venture. However, most of the people who run Comic or Movie based You-Tube channels have more than a superficial knowledge of the subject matter and when you visit one who doesn't, you move on!
But at least, you yourself, might increase your own knowledge bank.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 09:57:06 PM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 02:06:01 PM »

As Panther notes, the movie versions of DC characters are different.  There is a huge history for DC and over the decades the characters and powers have changed.  The very fact that DC now encompasses the old Quality, Charlton and other stuff makes for a right old soup.  The drastic, imo dreadful , destruction of timelines, infinite earth's and so on, leaving a universe of violent, mean looking heroes, nasty at times, both in the comics and the films is a turnoff for many.
Are you aware of the Earth 2 podcast?  Dave and Pete are working their way through everything connected to the JSA.  Good blokes who are steeped in Earth2 and JSA history.
There is so much out there in various places so I ask, is adding another channel going to cut through the clutter?
You'd be better to get a comfy chair, coffee and a supply of buns and simply enjoy reading the comics.
If you want suggestions of what to read, I'll make some but I'm an old geezer who'd prefer a Charlton Thunderbolt to a modern Batman comic.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 01:20:58 AM »

Speaking as a retired writer, I always found good advice was to write about the things you know best. So if you've got 5,000 Marvel mags, why don't you start by working up something about Marvel? You may find it easier than trying to jump into a universe which is totally unfamiliar. Good luck whatever you choose to do.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.