in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,840 books
 New: 100 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

new comic book guy!

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: new comic book guy!  (Read 1451 times)

chris1

message icon
new comic book guy!
« on: November 22, 2013, 05:08:44 PM »

Hello there,
My name's Chris Kent, I'm a comic book artist and writer.
I started working in comics in the 1980s working in a studio on comic book Shakespeares.
I studied fine art, which has a big influence on my work.
I set up Graphite Fiction to publish new graphic novels in 2009, when I launched the rather dark Medusa, which was reprinted last year. I've recently launched a new book - the Golem.
Currently I'm spending time promoting it, appearing at comic book events and arranging new events for the coming year.
I'm looking forward to making new contacts!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: new comic book guy!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 05:58:13 PM »

Hi Chris, welcome to CB+. Glad you finally found your way here.  I'll re-send the info. you asked for but if you just scroll down the main forum page, you'll find the section.  Go to it.
Will you be at the Panopticon mart in Glasgow next Saturday?  There have been other artists and writers with their publications previously.  If you get there, come and say hello - I'm pretty sure I have a table but the bloke hasn't got back to me yet.
ip icon Logged

chris1

message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 11:28:18 PM »

Hi,

Yes, I'll be there, I'll look out for you!
ip icon Logged

73042helloworld

message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 03:39:23 AM »

WEelcome.  You did some Shakespeare adaptat.ions if I understand it.  Which ones and for whom.  I'm 71 and have read most a whole slug of adaptations of book and such.  I've read all the US issues of the CLASSICS ILLUSTRATED series.  I didn't get their PICTURE PROGRESS/PARADE series but collected all the others from the company in original page count and then the later readapted and redrawn series. I have several Dutch language scans that were given to me, some of which never came to the US, and several English language issues of the Europeon series that were hand translated many years ago.  I'd love to have the extra long adaptations of CI that were published over a year in the Newark Star Legend from Newark, New Jersey.  The were the only paper that printed the whole set that were released to newpapers.

I have read most of the Saddleback and some others - Famous Authors Illustrated, Marvel Classic Comics, Superior Stories, etc. 

Each generation has its favorite writers and artists and I'm the same.  My favorite writers are Edgar Rice Burroughs and my favorite comic artists were Burne Hogarth, Murphy Anderson, H. C. Kieffer, John Buscema, Wally Wood and a lot more.  I would like to communicate about this type of book if you are anyone else is interested.  I can be contacted through donbearden66@yahoo.com if anyone wants to contact me.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 03:03:58 PM »

Re. theC.I. non American issues, there is a company in England who are issuing English translations of Euro C.I.   The ones which did not appear in the U.K. or USA for that matter.  A pal of mine has a big run of them and I was looking through them just last week.  They are rather dear at almost a tenner ($15) each but from time to time the company has a sale.  I need to ask Wee John for the address and when I have it I will post it here.  You are probably aware that there is a cd of all the C.I. issues available. While not remotely legitimate, it seems to be quite common.  I saw it for a fiver($7.50, roughly, I think) at the last local con. in Glasgow.
As for chatting about artists, here on the site is as good a place as any and you will get lots of differing opinions.  I also enjoy Wood's work and Murphy Anderson.  Buscema, I can take or leave, despite my recognition of the quality.  It just doesn't appeal as much to me as to millions of others.   To get you thinking further, can I give you a few names of folk whose work particularly appeals to me? 
Kubert; Lou Fine; Hugo Pratt; Bill Lacey, a British artist that I mentioned on another post yesterday on the site; Russ Manning.

ip icon Logged

73042helloworld

message icon
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 08:40:56 AM »

Hi again

I agree with some of your artists lists.  I loved Joe Kubert on Tor, Tarzan, The Viking Prince and Sgt. Rock, but was not as impressed with his super-heroes.  Kubert was best at the rougher characterations than he was at the super-heroes who were usually depicted with the smother art.  My favorite super-heroe artist are people like Murphy Anderson and Roy Raymond -- slick, smooth work. Of course, since I'm 71, I come from a different era with different preferences than most younger people.

About those Classics Illustrated, I wish I could afford those at ClassicComicShop you mentioned.  I have about 40 of them in Dutch, Norwegian, Danish and some more which I can't read so I use BingTranslation to get a near translation  to read the stories.  I'm still working on those.  I have about a dozen Greek issues never done in the US.  A few have been translated at the above shop, but prices run to high for an American on the poverty level.  And I can't translate the Greek because the letters are so different. 

As for the scans, the professional ones are only the later versions.  The Originals of the first 12 and no. 33 were 68 pages, then the ones from 13-44 were 60 pages, then until the end of the US series they were 22 pages.  I am willing to discuss this off-site as well.  My e-mail is donbearden66@yahoo.com and CIs and similars are my favorite series.  I would love to fill up even with scans of my missing issues of related books.  There is much confusion about Classics rights and I know part of that stuff.  One man I've talked to who was an employee of CI has given me some info, but I'm not allowed to reveal his identity.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 04:18:41 PM »

ClassicComicShop, that's the one.  I met Wee John at the Glasgow mart yesterday but with all the consequences of the helicopter tragedy, I completely forgot to ask him. 
(For those of you not in the U.K., a police helicopter crashed through the roof of a Glasgow pub late Friday night, killing the 3 crew and 5 folk in the pub.  Umpteen seriously injured.  The scene was only 400 - 500 yards from the mart venue.  But surprisingly, the car park and most of the surrounding streets were open but it was clear that many people had stayed away from the centre.)
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.