in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,174 books
 New: 241 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Dynamite's Mask # 1

Pages: 1 [2]

topic icon Author Topic: Dynamite's Mask # 1  (Read 7765 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Dynamite's Mask # 1
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 06:23:19 PM »

I enjoyed Bandette also. Good  fun
ip icon Logged

Ed Love

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 11:09:26 PM »

Ed, you're bang on re. Dynamite and this series.  I've now managed to read #1 & 2 on my new tablet (and thanks to narfstar for suggesting Comixology) and found myself a bit underwhelmed - and confused. Those aren't the origins I know and while I didn't mind the change in art - not being the world's biggest Ross fan, as far as storytelling goes that is, it all seemed a bit seedy.  And I have the strangest feeling I've seen those "bad cop" face masks somewhere else.  But, I could be mistaken.  I often am. Now I'm not sure if I really want the rest of the series, although I was curious when Miss Fury turned up.  But they had to make it a bit seedy again with that exchange re. GL watching her change. The one thing that I can't figure out is how they are going to get Zorro in there.
As for Moonstone and The Phantom, that was a good try but there was no way Moonstone were going to compete with some of the big boys, imo.  Mike Bullock made a quite successful run at it and latterly, on the comic, there were a couple of excellent covers. Then Dynamite came along with all their cash and made a mess of one of the all-time great masked men.  Difficult to forgive them for that.
As with narfstar, my lcs is tiny and  Dave only stocks the mainstream plus orders so if stuff I order doesn't turn up, I'm out of luck.  And to be honest, the big stores in Glasgow aren't much better nowadays.  More like toy stores with some comics.
By the way, there is a newish title on Comixology, "Bandette" - a sort of version of Fantomette, I suppose - and I got much more enjoyment from that than from Masks.

The original Miss Fury by Tarpe Mills, she wasn't shy of making the women sexy and showing them in lingerie and such. My big quibbles with the scene... being buddhist isn't necessarily the same as being celibate, Green Lama's magical powers (if that was the route, use Mandrake or Chandu), and just where was she keeping her costume that she changed into?

I agree that Ross' art isn't the best at storytelling and he over-uses the same tricks of extreme vantage points. It made a few scenes look as if the heroes could fly. But, the artist they brought in I felt was even worse as a storyteller. Few backgrounds that didn't look traced, action scenes even harder to read to see what's happening, etc. Dynamite sadly has a small stable of truly competent artists it seems and uses them mainly for cranking out covers.  The rest are carried by the inkers/colorists overpowering the short-comings in their drawings. For example, Captain Victory and Silver Star were all over the place in terms of art except for being actually good.

Zorro is going to be the Hispanic guy that Quinn is helping. There were several Zorro copycats in the serials, so there is a bit of precedent. My chief quibble is why not use an actual available little seen pulp-ish character from the time? And, if you are going to use him and tie his origin into the ongoing story, don't dilute it by making it an origin story for the Black Bat as well. It detracts from the main plot and action. There's enough story and characters to focus on without having to reinvent the wheel too.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 11:25:26 AM »

"Zorro is going to be the Hispanic guy that Quinn is helping. There were several Zorro copycats in the serials, so there is a bit of precedent"  Ed Love.
I worked out that Zorro would be the Hispanic but what I found odd was why a sword wielding guy in a cape whose origins are in the mists of time, almost, would be shovelled into this tale.  Not many sword wielders in superhero comics have been successful over the years.  Swordsman I actually liked but a lot of readers found wanting.  Galloping Gallooper was fun and the female hero in Southern Knights was entertaining. Dynamite are really only exploiting a character they already publish in another form.
Quite right re. Miss Fury and I have to own up to having the "new" Mis Fury/ Black Fury comics from some years ago - sad, isn't it?
As for "other" Zorros, it wasn't only in the serials.  European versions exist and not all have the same secret i/d. In fact, the latest issue of Cavaleiro Andante uploaded, has a French? version in  a Portuguese translation and in the Spanish section, you will find Don Z, a Spanish created obvious copy.  Highly popular in Spain in its time. There are also a few Italian comics and I have now obtained a copy so I will try to scan it soon.   I'm sure there is a potential article on the multiple Zorro topic but the writer would need a bit more info. than I have.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2013, 10:25:15 PM »

Picked up Masks #3 today. Still not a real team yet. Part of this book's problem is trying to cram seven or eight characters and three subplots into twenty pages. One subplot will take you right up to some action, only to have the author switch over to another. Wouldn't it be much better to concentrate on one of the teams in each issue, and then have them rotate in subsequent books? Still on board for this title, but if the Dynamite crew can't pick up the pace a bit then they've wasted a really great concept. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.