in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 181 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Ebay question

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Ebay question  (Read 4178 times)

rez

• Past Member
message icon
Ebay question
« on: May 23, 2008, 11:46:05 PM »

Just bid on an old goldenage comic on ebay that said it had zero bids on it. Once I bid instantly the window comes up that says I have been outbid.
Chances are close to zilch that someone just happened to bid a higher price at the exact moment I did so what's up with this?
Is there a hidden bid program available that let's a first time bid be kept off the board until someone else bids or what?

This, I'd like to know.
Cheers
ip icon Logged

cimmerian32

• VIP
message icon
Re: Ebay question
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 04:23:12 AM »

My guess is the item has a reserve, and your bid did not beat that...

Cimm
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 08:34:38 AM »

That's it exactly.  Another bidder can put a reserve bid on any item, which just means he puts a top price that he's willing to pay for it, and if that top price exceeds your bid, it goes to him.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 09:33:10 AM »

Ah, so a private reserve bid can be made with no showing of it on the site until a public bid is made. I see.

So if a book has a starting price of $.99 and a reserve unshown bid of $5.00 is given and no one bids on the item, then it is sold to the $5.00 reserve bidder for $.99 ?
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 12:24:19 PM »

Are you sure there were not other bids? For another bidder to have a higher reserve than your bid he would have either had to bid at the same time as yourself, or already been the highest bidder before you put a bid in rez. Are you sure it is not your bid that is showing?
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 03:25:57 PM »

Yes, that was the puzzling thing out of the whole deal. ) bids so I bid, then the window instantly came up telling me that I had been outbid when it said 0 bids when I first bid.

Thinking this over now I seem to recall noticing that at times a different page will say 0 bids but then when you begin the normal bidding process and the new window appears it reveals a bid or bids

so perhaps I was trying one of the different approaches to bidding that had this jet lag time involved but I can't recall.
Thanks
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 01:10:54 AM »

The list page, like "Golden Age Comics Ending Today", is not updated immediately.  So that could show 0 bids even when there are bids.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.